Gibson Brands Forums

Windows10 Hi-Jack.......

Murph

I updated my Windows 7 machine to 10 and liked it pretty much until my system stared freezing up constantly. Like other have done, I gave up and went back to 7. Now I get a popup every other time I start the thing prompting me to update to 10 like nothing ever happened. I can't decline the update-it just keeps pestering me. At least it didn't try to update automatically in my case.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not happy about this but there's no turning back at this point.

Ya man you can. I think they give you a month to roll back.

google win10 rollback, there's some weenie pages out there with how to's to roll back.

And you should always be able to just re-install the version that came with your pc.

I despised Windows 8 with a true burning hatred.

Me too. It came on my laptop. I absolutely hated everything about it. So for me win10 was a godsend.

And it was free, I think because how bad 8 sucked.

I didn't mind 7 at all, but as you mention that wasn't an option unless I was willing to pay for it.

I find 10 pretty stable. Had to update a few drivers and change certain programs to run in older versions but

for the most part I'm good with it.

I have a hand me down Dell laptop, must be 5 years old or so. It has 7 and works fine. However I have been getting the 10 popups for several months now.

My wife had 8 on her laptop and I could never figure out how to go ANYWHERE on it...hover over this corner and a menu comes up...made no sense to me.

She upgraded to 10 a couple weeks back and last weekend went to look for her pictures and music. All gone. No idea where. Thankfully I had backed all her stuff up on an external drive.

But where did it go? Wiped clean? Not much shows up in a *.jpg search.

We've become completely dependent on computers and now they're calling the shots. Comforting.

I was very cautious when Windows 10 was offered last year...reading all kinds of negative feedback from early convertees...

Then saw a web forum somewhere suggesting holding off for several months to let W 10 settle in and de-bug

This I did and then booked a download slot which went fine.... [thumbup]

The Edge browser also worked without glitch with no files or passwords lost.... [thumbup]

This week I had a yahoo e-mail problem requiring extensive help backup

It was recommended to download Google Chrome as an alternative to Edge....worrying because I had tried Chrome when it was first released and had major problems.... :blink:

Times have moved on....I didn't even know that I could selectively use different browsers for different tasks.... [unsure]

I now have Edge and Chrome on the taskbar and use each as necessary....

IMO Windows 10 seems like an improvement over earlier versions....has not crashed in any way or lost files like some people have reported....

V

:-({|=

On my laptop the problem was that after upgrading to from 7 to 10 everything started to go really SLOW and it crashed a lot.

After 4 months or so it started to normalize.

Now it works, more or less as it did.

But it doesn't look like Windows anymore.

Companies present design changes as innovation to the general public, just to remain on the first pages of the news. Whether it brings real improvement or not. Nor do they consider customers satisfaction. This is true for all industry segments, unfortunately. Marketing departments are always busy - R&D aren't.

Bence.

I disabled all updates a couple of years ago because they piddle-me-off [cursing]

Still using 7

When I have to change again, will probably go back to macs. Trouble is, I only went back over to Windows because I was fed up with the mac.

I wish Commodore would resurrect.

Yes. Microsoft are to blame for people who can't or won't learn stuff. They should stop improving until everyone else learns to do so as well. [tongue]

I don't mind improving when it's MY CHOICE.

What they did was literally hi-jack my machine to the point I couldn't do business until it finished. I was in a hurry.

Had I clicked on something it would be different, but this happened when I woke it up. No choice but to accept it, or decline it which meant re-installing the previous version which took 15 minutes. I had things to do and a time limit.

I'm already Apple on the phones and iPads and will probably go full Mac myself after this.

I quite like Windows 10, it's just a case of getting used to it. The first things I would do is pin a shortcut to your File Explorer and Control Panel to your taskbar, after that the rest is easy.

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't mind improving when it's MY CHOICE.

What they did was literally hi-jack my machine to the point I couldn't do business until it finished. I was in a hurry.

Had I clicked on something it would be different, but this happened when I woke it up. No choice but to accept it, or decline it which meant re-installing the previous version which took 15 minutes. I had things to do and a time limit.

I'm already Apple on the phones and iPads and will probably go full Mac myself after this.

The only way that can happen is that you had it set to automatically download and install updates. Whether you like it, or realise it, that was your choice. The previous Microsoft product you ran simply followed an instruction you gave it. I do realise it can be difficult to learn about new technology but I'm not sure it's fair to blame that on the technology itself.

The only way that can happen is that you had it set to automatically download and install updates. Whether you like it, or realise it, that was your choice. The previous Microsoft product you ran simply followed an instruction you gave it. I do realise it can be difficult to learn about new technology but I'm not sure it's fair to blame that on the technology itself.

Fair enough. Then I'm gonna put the blame on those that implement the new technology.

This is war!

There are those that want to learn and in doing so, benefit from improvements and the investment of learning. Then there are others that if they have to learn something see it as a failure because taking time to figure out how to use something that already works is a waste of time.

I sir, and of the latter. If I had something that worked, then the upgrade requires I have to take time to figure out how to make it work, in my book that's the amount the new product is a failure.

However, there's more. One thing I don't like, is that with every step forward, or rather, more capable operating system or download, my computer potentially becomes less and less capable of handling it all. So I am less anxious to download or replace anything. If it works now, why do I want to rush to jump ahead and have to get a new computer sooner? I don't, and not knowing what will make it work better or worse, I assume those wanting to download and upgrade on my computer have more of an interest in making my computer obsolete than I do.

Then saw a web forum somewhere suggesting holding off for several months to let W 10 settle in and de-bug

Solid advice which can and should be applied to every single new software release regardless of the manufacture.

I don't care if it's ipod andriod apple microsoft or linux. Every new release has bugs.

Hey, if you really need a headache try out some beta versions.

Yep, he's right.

I want to know and select the updates it downloads so I have mine set to ask me before it does anything.

That stupid windows malicious software removal tool used to give me grief so I quit letting it download years ago.

Unfortunately you need to be a bit of a weenie to be able to control these damn things to avoid having them control you.

Fair enough. Then I'm gonna put the blame on those that implement the new technology.

This is war!

There are those that want to learn and in doing so, benefit from improvements and the investment of learning. Then there are others that if they have to learn something see it as a failure because taking time to figure out how to use something that already works is a waste of time.

I sir, and of the latter. If I had something that worked, then the upgrade requires I have to take time to figure out how to make it work, in my book that's the amount the new product is a failure.

However, there's more. One thing I don't like, is that with every step forward, or rather, more capable operating system or download, my computer potentially becomes less and less capable of handling it all. So I am less anxious to download or replace anything. If it works now, why do I want to rush to jump ahead and have to get a new computer sooner? I don't, and not knowing what will make it work better or worse, I assume those wanting to download and upgrade on my computer have more of an interest in making my computer obsolete than I do.

Well said. I concur completely.

=D>

Guest Farnsbarns

This is war!

You implemented it by instructing your operating system to automatically update itself.

You implemented it by instructing your operating system to automatically update itself.

Can you be quite sure of that, Farns?

I can't speak for stein, of course, but, conversely, I had to instruct my PC to not auto-update which is a very different matter.

On my PC the 'automatic update' option was the default setting; i.e. it wasn't my choice/instruction for the thing to auto-update. It was how the computer was profiled by the manufacturer.

[wink]

Pip.

I've been seeing the popups for months now. This morning I turned on the laptop and....big screen.... "WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10".

Sorry guys, I just don't know if this computer can handle such an upgrade and still function. Also there was the whole thing about all of penny's photos and music disappearing mysteriously about the time she upgraded to 10.

I "declined" and it did a system restore back to 7. Or whatever I've got. It looks like a normal desktop with icons. Then once it restored, a popup came up saying "update failed" and I fully expected frownie faces.

I have no idea why Microsoft is so anxious for everyone to use 10. Makes me suspicious and a bit paranoid.

Guest Farnsbarns

I can't speak for stein, of course, but, conversely, I had to instruct my PC to not auto-update which is a very different matter.

On my PC the 'automatic update' option was the default setting; i.e. it wasn't my choice/instruction for the thing to auto-update. It was how the computer was profiled by the manufacturer.

[wink]

Pip.

Usually a new computer preinstalled with an os will go through a few preferences and account setups on first boot and update behaviour is usually one of them. Of course it is possible that a manufacturer presets this. Change manufacturer if they did because that is pretty poor.

The point I'm trying to make is that the couter behaved as it was told to. If it was told to by a third party then it's a little different but this isn't the fault of the computer or the writer of the OS.

Usually a new computer preinstalled with an os will go through a few preferences and account setups on first boot and update behaviour is usually one of them. Of course it is possible that a manufacturer presets this. Change manufacturer if they did because that is pretty poor.

The point I'm trying to make is that the couter behaved as it was told to. If it was told to by a third party then it's a little different but this isn't the fault of the computer or the writer of the OS.

We'll never agree on this. The writer of the OS is bound to ensure that devices the computer needs to function for humans can interface and do their jobs, creating a whole. It's a pretty big job, it is not easy, and I will not miss doing it.

Winders 10 wakes up with everything, EVERYTHING, turned on. All apps have all access to everything, immediately.

Since when is it the job of the writer of the OS to ensure that Amazon Ad Links can access my email, my browsing history, my camera, my microphone, my Skype, and my Social media feeds? And that's just one app that I didn't even ask for or buy, there's a pretty big handful on there just humming along doing whatever.

I don't have any of those things, but man I feel bad for people that are all up in that sh1t. They have NO idea how bad it really is.

rct

[wink]

Pip.

I did NOT tell my computer to update, and I constantly say "NO!" same as I would a telemarketer or a door-to-door salesman. I had to, and always try to, tell it to not download anything unless I know what it is and I want it.

Point is, whatever or whoever made the computer, the OS, any of that, that's where the responsibility lies. I am not blaming the computer, I am blaming those that made it and continue to make them!

Truth is, I don't know who does what and when and how it's supposed to do this or that. And as far as that goes, I really don't WANT to know. I just want it to work. I don't want to have to re-learn stuff, or know all kinds of stuff or take classes for my stuff to work.

As it is now, I don't have windows 10 (yet). I hope the internet and such continues to work for as long as possible, and as far as that goes, this computer crashes when playing videos or opening too many windows. Don't know of it is a virus, computer physically worn out, or if it is something I did or didn't do.

I've been seeing the popups for months now. This morning I turned on the laptop and....big screen.... "WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10".

Sorry guys, I just don't know if this computer can handle such an upgrade and still function. Also there was the whole thing about all of penny's photos and music disappearing mysteriously about the time she upgraded to 10.

I "declined" and it did a system restore back to 7. Or whatever I've got.

That's what mine did, and started this thread. And it HI-JACKED my computer for 15 minutes while it did this.

I COULD NOT DO MY BUSINESS until it was done, and that's what pi$$ed me off. I probably WOULD have upgraded eventually, at my leisure. I probably won't now.

Apple lets ME choose when to do such up-dates, maybe when I'm not in a hurry.

It's a forceful, un-user friendly way of doing business, and I've heard of dozens of local people this has happened to, I'm guessing millions Nationwide.

I sort of get the frustration with the update stuff. Then I think of all the millions who use Windows 10 how many actually complain or care and just get on with it. It's one of the reasons I don't take any heed of product reviews or complaints about parcel delivery for example. Such a small number in comparison with the huge volume, the complaints become insignificant. Anyways that's my take on it.

That's what mine did, and started this thread. And it HI-JACKED my computer for 15 minutes while it did this.

I COULD NOT DO MY BUSINESS until it was done, and that's what pi$$ed me off. I probably WOULD have upgraded eventually, at my leisure. I probably won't now.

We buy computers for our personal use, only to discover they have their own agenda. Not only that, their agenda take priority over ours.

I have no idea why Microsoft is so anxious for everyone to use 10. Makes me suspicious and a bit paranoid.

I don't know either, but it's a darned good question.

Just a little bump in case some of the experts could answer this.

Any takers?

Archived