Gibson Brands Forums

Any Star Trek nerds.... I mean Fans on here

Rabs

Rabs, I'm kind of Star Trek fan, too. My opinion about "Enterprise" is that the writer's obsession with the Zindi ruined it (at least for me).

My son (who is 30) and I are in the process of watching old Star Trek shows on Netflix. I started him off with Deep Space Nine, since around our parts they haven't shown any of that series in reruns. Kind of fun. Also, if you catch a quick flight to Minnesota and rent a car, we are showing Star Trek Beyond this weekend at my theatre in Kiester, MN. It might cost you an arm and a leg to get here, but it will only cost you $4.00 (US) to get a ticket and if you show up, I will let you in free. Also, a large popcorn and a 20 ounce soda pop will cost you less than $5.00 (US). Oh ya, and if you stuck around for a while we could plunk away on our stringed instruments, as well. [biggrin]

Regards,

Doug

In fact I have an idea for a new Star Trek episode. Why not do a show where the crew goes back in time to an old western town and fights it out with Wyatt Earp? Whatya think? Is that a good idea?

Ha ha! You've seen the episode 'Spectre of the Gun' then. Classic!

I suppose I ought to 'out' myself as a long-term ST fan. I started watching it as a kid in the late 60's when it first came over to the UK, and was instantly hooked. I already had some SF 'pedigree' as I loved Thunderbirds because it had proper tech and equipment that was streets ahead of the old Buck Rogers style clunk and grind. Then the ST movies came out in the late 70's and into the 80's and, along with SW eps IV - VI, it rekindled my interest in the genre.

I've enjoyed all of the ST incarnations since, including the somewhat maligned 'Enterprise', and have immersed myself in many other things including 'Space, Above and Beyond', Babylon 5 (great series!), Farscape, and perhaps the best of all of the ST-inspired series (IMO), the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

Nuff said. Nerdosity over.

PS - I've never been to a convention, and I don't dress up! =;

I've enjoyed all of the ST incarnations since, including the somewhat maligned 'Enterprise', and have immersed myself in many other things including 'Space, Above and Beyond', Babylon 5 (great series!), Farscape, and perhaps the best of all of the ST-inspired series (IMO), the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah I quite liked Battlestar (the new one)... At first I refused to watch it but then later on when it was shown on what ever channel it was I watched it all..

Did you ever watch Caprica? It was like a prequel to BSG... Also really good but sadly only lasted one series...

Ohh and id forgotten about Space Above and Beyond.. That from what I remember was REALLY good too... (kind similar to BSG in style)...

Oddly enough it was my mum who got me in to it when I was young we used to sit and watch it all together.. BBC 2 at 6pm, Star Trek, Quantum Leap, The Invaders.... loved it all :)

Rabs - I've heard about Caprica but not seen it. I need to pick it up cheap on eBay and give it a go. SAAB always struck me as being a bit like the late 80's Vietnam series 'Tour of Duty', but in space. Similar vibe. I also wonder if it influenced the writer of 'Starship Troopers'.

Quantum Leap was good as well. Had Dean Stockwell in it too, so a bit of crossover with BSG where he played 'Brother John'!

Cheers,

H.

For anyone interested.. They have released some info on this new series

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75945

What we learned at the too-brief Wednesday afternoon “Star Trek: Discovery” TCA panel held at the Beverly Hilton:

* “Discovery” is another prequel, set in the Shatner (not JJ Abrams) universe ten years before Kirk and Spock’s famous five-year mission depicted in the 1960s TV series.

* It follows that “Discovery” is set about 100 years after “Star Trek Enterprise.”

* "Discovery's" lead character will be a human female. The female part has only happened once before, with “Star Trek: Voyager,” another series creator-showrunner Bryan Fuller helped write.

* For the first time since the early episodes of “Deep Space Nine,” the lead character will not be a captain. When I asked creator-showrunner Bryan Fuller if he could describe the lead character’s rank, he replied “lieutenant commander.” A few minutes later though Fuller told me exclusively “she will hold many ranks.”

* The series will explore an incident mentioned in the 1960s series. (In the 1969 episode “Whom Gods Destroy,” there’s a reference to a war the Federation was fighting about 15 years earlier.)

* Fuller seemed to hint he would pursue Winona Ryder to reprise the role of Spock’s mother, Amanda Grayson. Hers would not be a regular role. When I asked if Grayson would appear in the first season of “Discovery,” Fuller smiled and replied “maybe.”

* Other established characters besides Greyson could appear. For example, a young Doctor McCoy could turn up, allowed Fuller, but Fuller also said there are no plans for McCoy.

* Shooting on the series is still months away and no one has been cast yet.

* The series will not be subject to broadcast standards and will feature “slightly more graphic content” than a typical Trek series.

* The CBS All Access exec who introduced Fuller indicated that there will only be 13 episodes of “Discovery” per season, and certainly no more than 13 airing in 2017. Prior live-action seasons of Star Trek have typically run north of 20 episodes, often as many as 26.

* The same exec indicated there will be about 12 minutes of commercials interrupting each episode of "Star Trek: Discovery." This is about 25% less than the typical 16-minute commercial load carried by most network programs.

* Fuller described the series as one 13-episode novel. Trek has featured copious episode-to-episode continuity in the past, notably during the third season of “Star Trek: Enterprise.”

* The infamous Kobayashi Maru incident (used to train Starfleet cadets) occurred prior to the events of “Discovery,” and will be referenced in the series.

* Fuller confirmed Starfleet’s super-secret black-ops division Section 31 may be a component of the series. Discovery’s registry number is NCC-1031.

* Sets, makeup and effects will be upgraded to 2016 standards, just as these things were upgraded to 2002 standards for fellow prequel “Star Trek Enterprise.”

Archived