Gibson Brands Forums

Audacity Help

carranoj25

Anyone here use Audacity? Trying to learn a bunch of ACDC songs but their tunings are a little off. I use Audacity but am having trouble adjusting or changing the pitch. Is there a way through Audacity or another program I can just change the song to Eb and be done with it? I have to get these songs in Eb because that's what the cover band plays.

Anyone here use Audacity? Trying to learn a bunch of ACDC songs but their tunings are a little off. I use Audacity but am having trouble adjusting or changing the pitch. Is there a way through Audacity or another program I can just change the song to Eb and be done with it? I have to get these songs in Eb because that's what the cover band plays.

What?

rct

Guess I'm not following you - why can't you tune to the software (or whatever), learn the songs, and then tune to whatever you want after the fact?

"Why, back in MY day, we useta have to lift and drop the tonearm, over and over again, 'til we had the lick down... and we LIKED it!"

What?...

[lol]

...why can't you tune to the software (or whatever), learn the songs, and then tune to whatever you want after the fact?...

This.

Just tune to AC/DC's pitch and learn the stuff. It's not exactly rocket-science, is it?...

Pip.

Guess I'm not following you - why can't you tune to the software (or whatever), learn the songs, and then tune to whatever you want after the fact?

"Why, back in MY day, we useta have to lift and drop the tonearm, over and over again, 'til we had the lick down... and we LIKED it!"

I wore out a load of records using exactly that process!

I can but with Audacity I can slow parts of the song down and loop certain parts to learn better.

but, (maybe I don't follow) you still have to be tuned to the proper pitch of what ever the source is tuned to.

Back in the day, we'd have to tune to what ever album we were trying to learn anyway, nothing was ever quite the same from one album to another.

things would be off just enough to be "off"...

...with Audacity I can slow parts of the song down and loop certain parts to learn better...

Can't you simply do as you say, tune it to AC/DC's pitch (in whichever key the slowed down song is in), and transpose it to 'proper' pitch once you know the fingering?

What am I missing here?..................:-k...................

Pip.

Can't you simply do as you say, tune it to AC/DC's pitch (in whichever key the slowed down song is in), and transpose it to 'proper' pitch once you know the fingering?

What am I missing here?..................:-k...................

Pip.

Agreed.

Step 1) Tune your guitar to match the recoding of said song.

2) Loop the heck out of it on audacity.

3) Learn the song

4) Get together with the band, tune to Eb and play.

Not sure about audacity (so this may not help) but a program called Anytune is what I use to learn nowadays. You can adjust pitch by half steps AND you can adjust tempo without changing pitch. SO you can take an EVH solo and slow it the hell down without changing the pitch to learn it or change the pitch a half step to learn it in whatever key your cover band is playing in.

I was a player in the 70's and learned the old fashioned way described elsewhere in this thread. I would have done anything for the capabilities afforded us now with the new technology. Best of luck to you!

14r9w6.jpg

rct

you never fail to crack me up. yes, this is true.

Not sure about audacity (so this may not help) but a program called Anytune is what I use to learn nowadays. You can adjust pitch by half steps AND you can adjust tempo without changing pitch. SO you can take an EVH solo and slow it the hell down without changing the pitch to learn it or change the pitch a half step to learn it in whatever key your cover band is playing in.

I was a player in the 70's and learned the old fashioned way described elsewhere in this thread. I would have done anything for the capabilities afforded us now with the new technology. Best of luck to you!

yep, I got pretty good at picking up the needle and sitting it back down where i needed it. like I mentioned before, these youngsters today ... try learning a song / solo off an 8-track ... why in my day ... and i was grateful ...

I use a Tascam Guitar trainer. does the same thing that this Acrobat and what Tman mentioned.you can slow the cd down, speed it up without affecting the key. or change the keys without affect the tempo. you can loop specific parts, to hammer them into your brain (becoming increasingly more difficult these days)

sure beats 8-tracks.

Archived