Gibson Brands Forums

help on a GA19RVT

JonMatisz

I have a GA 19RVT given to me, but is in bad shape. The original power transformer is gone and has some monster one zip tied in it! Does any one know what the original one is and where I might purchase it?

It is the model that has the brown Gibson logo on it, and a 6c4 reverb tube.

Whoever changed the power caps did a horrible job. It looks like they used a soldiering gun on it, there are a bunch of half melted wires.

I really love it when someone has no clue what they are doing and jump balls deep in.

I have found the schematic but it doesn't tell me what the trannys are.

Thanks All for any help you can give.

Jon

A good source of supply for amp restorations parts is Antique Electronics Supply (tubesandmore.com). They might be able to help you ID what exactly you need.

Another great source of knowledge and information is Aspen Pittman, owner/founder of Groove Tubes. His book, "The Tube Amp Book", is something every tube amp enthusiast should have on their bookshelf. I would shoot an e-mail to Groove Tubes and see if they have the info you need.

A good source of supply for amp restorations parts is Antique Electronics Supply (tubesandmore.com). They might be able to help you ID what exactly you need.

Another great source of knowledge and information is Aspen Pittman, owner/founder of Groove Tubes. His book, "The Tube Amp Book", is something every tube amp enthusiast should have on their bookshelf. I would shoot an e-mail to Groove Tubes and see if they have the info you need.

What is Mr. Pittman doing these days? Last I heard, he had sold Groove Tubes to the Fender co. and was in the process of selling his amp collection.

Mercury has one listed for the 19RVT, but it's like $160 and is obviously not original. At least it should work!

Also Ted Weber sells a ton of transformers but it can be tedious to go through and look at everything because they don't have a master list of what fits what. At least not that I've found. Good Luck

If it was me I'd try to figure out whether the transformer that's in there now is o.k. If the mounting holes don't line up then you'll have to figure out how to mount it properly. If you have the right voltage on the red wire then you're likely to be just fine as long as the transformer doesn't get hot when you run it flat out. It should be about 300v on pin 6 of the rectifier tube.

You can also identify the transformer from the codes on it and try to figure out if that's suitable.

Is this the right model?

33737d1430264180-crestline-ga-19rvt-after-mod.jpg

I just spent 2 hours trying to add pics. Those will have to wait until there my computer savy daughter gets here tomorrow.

the markings on the transformer of my GA 19 RVT are.

TF 18 P

524 63 13

The 63 is for the year 13 is for the week of production

As a comparison my GA 8T transformer markings are

TF-8A-P

(year 62 week44)

pics to follow they both bolt into the same holes but the TP 18 p is almost twice as thick.

Jon - It looks like it's got the original transformer in there. Is everything working o.k.? How does it sound?

When they changed the filter caps they should have changed any other electrolytic caps, like the bypass caps. If you shoot a few pics of the inside I can see if everything looks o.k. in there. [thumbup]

Archived