Gibson Brands Forums

Official HUMMINGBIRD owners thread!

BirdMan81

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought my first hummingbird in 2007, it was a TV model. Stupidly sold it in 2014, moment of madness, regretted it ever since. Last month a bough a new 2016 hummingbird vintage. As others have mentioned the setup wasn't great, I also had a high fret. Anyway a quick setup by my tech and all's better. Maybe I'm a little low at 6/64th at the 12th, but playing so much better. I'm using Gibson 80/20 bronze. I was using Martin SP 80/20 on my last bird, so might give those a try. Still not sure where I'm at in the baked top.

Bought my first hummingbird in 2007, it was a TV model. Stupidly sold it in 2014, moment of madness, regretted it ever since. Last month a bough a new 2016 hummingbird vintage. As others have mentioned the setup wasn't great, I also had a high fret. Anyway a quick setup by my tech and all's better. Maybe I'm a little low at 6/64th at the 12th, but playing so much better. I'm using Gibson 80/20 bronze. I was using Martin SP 80/20 on my last bird, so might give those a try. Still not sure where I'm at in the baked top.

Hi an' helo - Sounds good.

You should set up a thread with guitar. Speak a little about it - compare it the first one and post a few pictures.

Look forward

• 1 month later...

I apply for membership with my 9/18/16 purchase.

This is it, at home, and I hope to put many miles on it. I love the tuners, the binding, the finish, and I dont think a pickup or even a strap button will make its way to this guitar. It is for the record, by far the most "costly" guitar I have ever purchased, followed closely by a 1998 Gretsch electric years back...

IMG_8094_zps5ylunrqe.jpg

I'll add mine to the list.

YyqngdK.jpg?1

'96 pure acoustic.

Good Lord that's gorgeous. I have always been a whore for the cherry burst Hummingbird, but I'm starting to think I might be leaning towards the natural one now. I have an Epiphone limited natural bird, but it's **** compared to a real one. I would love to eventually get a natural Hummingbird. I'm super jealous, but in a good way. Congrats!!

Hey guys I'm about to buy either a 2014 Quilted Hummingbird or a 2016 hummingbird. I just can't decide if the up grades are worth it as i love the look of the quilted. The pick up isn't a big thing for me as i don't really play many gigs its more the rolled fret board and neck. has anyone compared the two or something similar

Cheers

Hey guys I'm about to buy either a 2014 Quilted Hummingbird or a 2016 hummingbird. I just can't decide, , ,

Cheers

Welcome mister Murray - a highly exciting choice in front of you. Those two are different !

Let's hear how it turns out. Just set up your own thread. Promise you have an excellent audience waiting here.

1474736383[/url]' post='1801763']

Hey guys I'm about to buy either a 2014 Quilted Hummingbird or a 2016 hummingbird. I just can't decide if the up grades are worth it as i love the look of the quilted. The pick up isn't a big thing for me as i don't really play many gigs its more the rolled fret board and neck. has anyone compared the two or something similar

Cheers

I own a J50 without the new "rolled fingerboard". I owned a J45 2016 version that had it. It's nice... But imperceptible if I'm not thinking about it. Get the look/sound you like and don't let this be a variable.

Is the quilted bird mahogany or maple? One of my local dealers had a quilted HB and the back and sides were maple, which, to me, is really a Dove in different trim. If the quilt is mahogany, than it's just for looks, won't make it sound any different than a regular bird. As Sal said, it's up to you whether the upcharge is worth it or not.

Is the quilted bird mahogany or maple? One of my local dealers had a quilted HB and the back and sides were maple, which, to me, is really a Dove in different trim. If the quilt is mahogany, than it's just for looks, won't make it sound any different than a regular bird. As Sal said, it's up to you whether the upcharge is worth it or not.

All true except that a maple Hummingbird is definitely NOT a Dove in different trim. The different scale lengths really seem to make a difference. 24.75" or 25.5" scale length, is almost as big a difference as mahogany vs maple.

Cheers

Get the one you prefer, tone wise... But if it were me i'd prolly go for the 2016 hummy... The new models are so light weight, they are very good and the hummingbird is supposed to be hog back and sides, but it's true that quilted one looks awesome.

Still, quilted is mapple, not hog.

I think this is quilted hummingbird, not 100% sure though :