Gibson Brands Forums

Official HUMMINGBIRD owners thread!

BirdMan81

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Alrighty - in that company your words really get weight. I'm sure you found an outstanding ex.                                                                                            As Salfromchatham said the other day, Birds are mysterious guitars. He knows what he talks about, , , and I'm behind him too.

I play either a vintage or a 2012 almost daily - even though I actually believe there are several 'better' guitars here. 

Seems you joined the unplugged wave back then. Who can blame you. . 

Keep winging

EM - Its funny you mentioned Sal - We are sort of from the same area.  Sal is a Great Talent and knows his Guitars.  And I am pretty much with him with the Guitars he chooses to play.  Sal is a Singer - Player  and that makes picking a good Guitar to go with your voice a even harder decision. Ken

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gasman said:

So with all that being said - I think a Gibson Sheryl, a Country Western and Hummingbird all complement a voice very well.  Of course so do many other Guitars.  It is truly a Personal thing...   

I hope so... I just ordered the Crow to make company to my HB :).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 12:51 PM, DanvillRob said:

I have two 'Birds.

1.  2011 - Custom Koa

2.  2010 - 12-String

The Koa I bought brand-new in 2011.... after 10 years it's coming into it's own.

The 12-String I bought from fellow Forum Member Leslie,  a few years ago.

I love them both.   Still wish I had a standard Hummingbird....but I simply have no space for another guitar.

Looking through my photos, I realize I don't have any photos of the back of the Koa, (which is beautiful).

I'll take some next time I bring it out.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

I said I'd take some photos of the back of my Koa wood 'Bird.... so I have.

May be an image of guitar

• Like 1

In 1970 my father worked for the company that provided lacquer for Gibson. Because of my Dad's company's connections at Gibson, he was able to get a Hummingbird at "cost" for me for my 19th birthday.  It was the most memorable birthday of my life, and I was duly thrilled to have my first quality guitar!

Unfortunately, the guitar was subsequently severely damaged in an airline baggage compartment mishap less than 6 months after I got it.  The top was broken in half with corresponding structural damage to bracing, neck joint and more. Fortunately at the time, a luthier  was able to do repairs that made it playable, and it became my main acoustic guitar for the next 35 years. But about 15 years ago the repairs that had been effected so many years before began to degrade to the point that it became unplayable (braces coming loose, neck twisting, top sinking, etc). My local guitar repair guys told me it was beyond their ability to repair, and so it had remained hanging on the wall unplayed for the last decade and a half and I had pretty much accepted that it would remain that way.

This past year I became aware that luthier Ross Teigen, who I had met in the 1980s and whose services I had utilized when I lived in south Florida, had moved his shop to north-central Florida close to where I've been living for the past 20 years. I contacted Ross and asked if he would be willing to to do the necessary restoration work on my Hummingbird. Much to my delight he agreed, and mentioned that he remembered doing some repair work on the guitar many years before. So off to Ross went the Hummingbird along with my hopes for a miracle.

After a little more than a month Ross completed his amazing work, and I have what I can only describe as a miracle: a completely rejuvenated guitar! Ross performed a comprehensive overhaul: working on braces, binding, neck (reset), bridge, pick guard, and I don't know what all else. What I do know is that it plays, looks and feels like a brand new guitar with a vintage Gibson Hummingbird voice and vibe. Mr. Teigen says the guitar should be good now for about 30 more years before I'll need to bring it back in for a refresh (since I'll be 100 years old then I'm sure I'll be needing a "refresh" more than the guitar at that point biggrin.gif). I am  grateful to Ross for his superb work in bringing this special guitar back to life for me!

P1020186.jpg

P1020189.jpg

P1020190.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

In 1970 my father worked for the company that provided lacquer for Gibson. Because of my Dad's company's connections at Gibson, he was able to get a Hummingbird at "cost" for me for my 19th birthday.  It was the most memorable birthday of my life, and I was duly thrilled to have my first quality guitar!

Hi - and heps for the amazing and romantic intro-tale. The old Bird is beautiful and the lower bout wear only makes it better.                                                                                                 May you enjoy each other's company for many year to come.

Send some sounds

4 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Unfortunately, the guitar was subsequently severely damaged in an airline baggage compartment mishap less than 6 months after I got it.  The top was broken in half with corresponding structural damage to bracing, neck joint and more. Fortunately at the time, a luthier  was able to do repairs that made it playable, and it became my main acoustic guitar for the next 35 years. But about 15 years ago the repairs that had been effected so many years before began to degrade to the point that it became unplayable (braces coming loose, neck twisting, top sinking, etc). My local guitar repair guys told me it was beyond their ability to repair, and so it had remained hanging on the wall unplayed for the last decade and a half and I had pretty much accepted that it would remain that way.

This past year I became aware that luthier Ross Teigen, who I had met in the 1980s and whose services I had utilized when I lived in south Florida, had moved his shop to north-central Florida close to where I've been living for the past 20 years. I contacted Ross and asked if he would be willing to to do the necessary restoration work on my Hummingbird. Much to my delight he agreed, and mentioned that he remembered doing some repair work on the guitar many years before. So off to Ross went the Hummingbird along with my hopes for a miracle.

After a little more than a month Ross completed his amazing work, and I have what I can only describe as a miracle: a completely rejuvenated guitar! Ross performed a comprehensive overhaul: working on braces, binding, neck (reset), bridge, pick guard, and I don't know what all else. What I do know is that it plays, looks and feels like a brand new guitar with a vintage Gibson Hummingbird voice and vibe. Mr. Teigen says the guitar should be good now for about 30 more years before I'll need to bring it back in for a refresh (since I'll be 100 years old then I'm sure I'll be needing a "refresh" more than the guitar at that point biggrin.gif). I am  grateful to Ross for his superb work in bringing this special guitar back to life for me!

P1020186.jpg

P1020189.jpg

P1020190.jpg

Beautiful instrument..... I'm sure you cherish it now.

Wow.  Checked into this thread for the first time in ages, and I find awesome stories, beautiful pictures, and content.

fantastic...

I now have an Epi Bird... and while it will not match up to  Gasman or Voliero or Em Birds... I am shocked how good it is, and it’s a joy to sing with. I pulled out the cheap pickup, and my Asbury guys cut a new nut for it and set it up. It’s a powerful guitar, with just a little treble shaved off compared to a real Bird.

I got my Bird in September of 2020 and opted for what Gibson calls the "Original" model.  Purchased through Sweetwater and was set-up very nicely right out of the box - have not adjusted a thing on it since I got it.  She was pretty pale when new as seen on top, but has started to get a little bit of a tan in 7 months as seen below.

Xz4vrXB.jpgtK1BDNV.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Would be nice to have a unique Hummingbird 'topic', rather than just this thread !

Anyway, was starting to get worried about my 'bird, as is has single fretboard block markers, a (beautiful) inlay down the body back, and a 3-screw truss-rod cover. 

However Bob Burns at Gibson Support assures me that it is consistant with a '74/'75 Hummingbird.

Pix on Dropbox  (because limit here is 500KB, which is only a small fraction of a single photo these days !

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12evrbcvsuhah6d/AAD2560hW6y0iiWjA9lI2g6Va?dl=0

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoffwood said:

Would be nice to have a unique Hummingbird 'topic', rather than just this thread !

Anyway, was starting to get worried about my 'bird, as is has single fretboard block markers, a (beautiful) inlay down the body back, and a 3-screw truss-rod cover. 

However Bob Burns at Gibson Support assures me that it is consistant with a '74/'75 Hummingbird.

Pix on Dropbox  (because limit here is 500KB, which is only a small fraction of a single photo these days !

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12evrbcvsuhah6d/AAD2560hW6y0iiWjA9lI2g6Va?dl=0

That's a beautiful 'Bird... I recently learned that the 'block markers' were brought in about 1970.... I always thought the blocks were the first, but not so...the split parallelograms were first...then Gibson switched to the blocks....then eventually back to the split parallelograms.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't looked at this thread for quite a while.  In the interim I bought a second Hummingbird.  I was looking for a short scale dreadnaught with a maple body and Sweetwater came out with these exclusives.  I would have preferred a different finish than the "Viper Blue", but the tone of the maple and the playability were paramount so here it is:

dlmMwDX.jpg 

11 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Haven't looked at this thread for quite a while.  In the interim I bought a second Hummingbird.  I was looking for a short scale dreadnaught with a maple body and Sweetwater came out with these exclusives.  I would have preferred a different finish than the "Viper Blue", but the tone of the maple and the playability were paramount so here it is:

Yeah the blue is not quite my cup of soup either , but I guess the sound and playability are the most important things.

Edited by geoffwood

3 hours ago, pimousso said:

New owner here !

I am in the forum for some time and a member on another post made me realise I didn't present my new guitar.

It's a hummingbird original HCS built in july 2021

9odJemI.jpg

hLT3n2r.jpg

Short sample

That’s a beautiful guitar….it’s still fairly green….so you can expect it to just get better and better!