Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
carranoj25

Help Identifying Speakers

Speakers are mfg/date coded just like potentiometers. Somewhere on the frame there should be two stamped or engraved numbers. One is the mfg/date code, the other is the part number. Disregard any numbers found ink stamped on the cone. Those apply only to the cone itself.

Here's a pretty good list:

http://www.thespeakershop.com/speakerrepair/eiacodes.html

Once you figure out the mfg/date code number, you can use the part number to check that mfg for the OEM specs on resistance, wattage and frequency.

Resistance of a non-blown speaker can be measured with an ohm meter, but wattage rating and frequency response can only be determined from design specs.

Dang! I'm not an expert of Celestian speakers.

One thing I wonder though is when they started making them in China, and also IF they were/are still making them in England (As well as the "Rola" deal). But these labels clearly state "Made in England by Rola".

Being not too familiar, I can't guess by looking at them. I suppose it might help to know what cab they are in, when it was made, and a "guess" as to if they are origonal to the cabinet.

Dang! I'm not an expert of Celestian speakers.

One thing I wonder though is when they started making them in China, and also IF they were/are still making them in England (As well as the "Rola" deal). But these labels clearly state "Made in England by Rola".

Being not too familiar, I can't guess by looking at them. I suppose it might help to know what cab they are in, when it was made, and a "guess" as to if they are origonal to the cabinet.

The cab is a JCM 800 Lead Series Cabinet. It was given to me so I couldn't tell you if these were always in there or came stock

The cab is a JCM 800 Lead Series Cabinet. It was given to me so I couldn't tell you if these were always in there or came stock

As far as I know, there were two speakers that were "JCM-800 speakers". The G12-75 (I have also seen them labeled or called G12T-75), and the G12-65 (I think that is correct).

I have read, that the G12-75 was the more desirable speaker, and that the JCM-800 wabsn't well recieved at first because they had the eallier G12-65 speakers in them. I think I read that in Aspen Pittman's book, and while I have a deep respect for the man and his love of Marshalls, I consider that one man's opinion.

Personally, I have had and heard the later and more common G12-75, but haven't compared them to the G12-65, so I DON'T have an opinion.

I am just kinda guessing these are the -65 versions ONLY because the only G12-75's I have seen were labeled as such, and of corse, they are in a JCM-800 cab. But truthfully, I couldn't tell one Celestian from another without a label.

But hey, maybe it's a start for you. Or maybe someone else more hip will read this and know more. Maybe even read this and correct me if any is wrong I wrote here.

Agreed... 800 series cabs have G12-65 or 75 stock. But some have G12-70s as well I think.

Is there a wattage rating on the back of the cab? Sometimes there is. If it divides evenly by 65 they are G12-65s, etc...

For example I had a 2-12 with a rating of 130 watts on the back plate, so I knew it had G12-65 speakers in it. Another I had was rated at 140 watts.... G12-70s obviously.

The rating on the back is for 100w. The sticker says in full, "Marshall 1960 Lead 100W"

So that would make these 25's?

In theory, but it doesn't make sense. Never seen 25s stock in a JCM series cab. Can you post pics of the labels - Lead 100W is just the series of the cab. Near the jacks there is often a wattage rating.

Here is the label on the back

yeah, that's the series sticker. Here's what I was hoping was there somewhere near the jacks...

marshall-1960a-jcm800-lead-655011.jpg

Almost positive they are G12-65 based on the info I found here..

http://solodallas.com/celestion-loudspeakers-from-blues-to-greenies-and-beyond

DSCF0367-300x225.jpg

Good link. Good site.

While I also agree they certainly LOOK like G12-65 AND match the pics, I wouldn't be 100% positive that a G12-75 couldn't look like that, although I have nothing to base that on except what I can see and not knowing if the G12-75 ever had the same sticker on the back. I can see from the difference in magnet sizes they aren't G12-70's or some of the others.

BUT...that's where this link to the site comes in as a great one: there should be PLENTY of info there on date codes and such you should be able to EASILY find out what they are.

Not to mention, I learned some stuff reading that site.

Thanks SURFPUP.

The metal input jack cup also makes me think this it's earlier and therefore 65s... but Ultimately 65s, 70s, 75s... there were even some G1280s.... As far as value it doesn't matter. It's a JCM800 4-12 and is therefore worth between $400 and $800 - depending mostly on how beat up the tolex and the grill cloth are.

The metal input jack cup also makes me think this it's earlier and therefore 65s... but Ultimately 65s, 70s, 75s... there were even some G1280s.... As far as value it doesn't matter. It's a JCM800 4-12 and is therefore worth between $400 and $800 - depending mostly on how beat up the tolex and the grill cloth are.

Kinda might hafta agree with that. While some may like specific speakers, as far as I know they are all about worth the same. Marshall cabs aren't rare, either.

Finding out about the speakers so you could maybe say WHAT they are in an ad might make it sell easier.