Gibson Brands Forums

2007 J-45

DelDrago

Hello. I have a Gibson J-45 that according to my Serial number 02987010 was made August 29 2007. Gibson already authenticated it's real. My questions are:

1) my logo gold, most I've seen are Pearl

2) saddle is some brown material, what is it?

3) it's not a Standard or TV but it's s dark brown sunburst what "model is it?

4) I've heard about laminated fingerboard a, did they make them this year?

Can't figure out how to post pics but thanks for looking

I would guess that the brown saddle is the original tusq. These are white when they're new, but they can turn quite brown over time if exposed to sunlight - see this: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/123283-what-kind-of-saddle-is-this/page__view__findpost__p__1677105

If the previous owner put the guitar in the sun frequently, that might also account for the unusual color of the sunburst finish.

Hi & thanks for the replies. The guitar has a white label inside. The serial number is stamped. The sunburst looks identical to the "standard" models I've seen but those have the pearl logo mine is a gold decal. Can't upload pics from my phone apparently. I don't believe the guitar has seen much sun.

Hello. I have a Gibson J-45 that according to my Serial number 02987010 was made August 29 2007. Gibson already authenticated it's real.

I'm not doubting that your guitar is a real Gibson but if you enter that serial # on this site, it says the number is not recognized. Could it be a typo?

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

I sent several pics & the serial number to Gibson & they verified it was "authentic"

I had the same problem when I enter red the number into the Guitar Dater project.

Hmm. The number you are giving should mean it was built on October 23, 2007 and was production number 10 (unless my math is off). Strange that it is not turning up in the dater site. Just get the pictures on here and it will be figured out!

I'm not sure when they changed from historic to modern classic, but they change from mc to the standard mid 2008. My mid-August 2008 is a mc. The standards came with a mop Gibson inlay. The saddle on the mc and standard is tusq. I don't know what they used on the historic. Supposedly the bracing changed a bit on the standard. EM7 did an interesting comparison of the historicand standard a while back. I've never played a historic but the standards I've played have been a bit louder and perhaps a little harsher than the mc. My mc seems to have a milder and sweeter tone, yet it can be harsh when you dig into it.

chasAK

Neck profile feels like a 1960's Gibson

I have a 2008 J-50 Modern Classic and a 1965 J-50. The neck on the 2008 is NOTHING like the 1965. The 1965 neck is very skinny - which is perfect for me - and the 2008 is much fatter. But I don't think you can generalize about the necks on "1960's Gibsons". I believe there were a variety of neck styles during the 1960's.

A few years ago I bought a J-200 Custom RW from guitar center. I stalked it for a couple years and could not believe the deal they gave me when they wanted to clear it out.

They had it hanging up way high where you could not reach it and had it priced so high they would not get it down for just anyone. My good luck.

The guitar was only about a foot from the ceiling which put it close to the ceiling lights.

This discolored the top of the saddle and pins to a brownish color. Did not get the nut.

They cleaned up with a little polishing.

Looks okay to me but this shows you that you do not need direct sunlight.

2FAC1F93-F529-4F54-A832-2816C64CAC25_zpsfewrq2rz.jpg

I have a 2007 J50 that's the sister of yours. I bought it new from an authorized Gibson dealer. It has a white label that just says J50, but I'm pretty sure the model is a "Modern Classic".

1) My headstock logo is gold

2) As others have also said, I've seen brown Tusq in these era Gibson J45s and J50s. Mine has remained ivory color though.

3) It's probably a Modern Classic. Does it have Rotomatic tuners? I think all the Modern Classics had them.

4) I'm pretty sure the laminated fingerboards came a few years later.

And for what it's worth, my serial number doesn't come up in the search link given above.

Looking forward to the pics.

Hi guys thanks...pics too big have to resise grrrr yes rotomatic tuners

Hello DD! You have to put the photos on a hosting site like photobucket and then put the direct URL on the insert media icon. It will be resized.

Edited: those two photos are helpful.

Archived