Gibson Brands Forums

2007 J-45

DelDrago

I have a 2007 J50 that's the sister of yours. I bought it new from an authorized Gibson dealer. It has a white label that just says J50, but I'm pretty sure the model is a "Modern Classic".

My 2008 J-50 is the same. The label just says "J-50", but it is definitely a Modern Classic. That's the only version of the J-50 that they made in those years. However there have been so many different flavors of J-45, it gets confusing. :)

See this link and scroll way down: http://archive.gibson.com/Press/acoustics/index2.asp

It only goes back as far as 2009, but it shows the different models of J-45 including the Modern Classic series. In 2009 they list the following J-45's

Custom

Vintage Sunburst

Antique Natural

Modern Classic

Modern Classic Rosewood

This is the Modern Classic

RS45VSNH1.jpg

I have a 2007 J50 that's the sister of yours. I bought it new from an authorized Gibson dealer. It has a white label that just says J50, but I'm pretty sure the model is a "Modern Classic".

1) My headstock logo is gold

2) As others have also said, I've seen brown Tusq in these era Gibson J45s and J50s. Mine has remained ivory color though.

3) It's probably a Modern Classic. Does it have Rotomatic tuners? I think all the Modern Classics had them.

4) I'm pretty sure the laminated fingerboards came a few years later.

And for what it's worth, my serial number doesn't come up in the search link given above.

Looking forward to the pics.

yes rotomatic tuners.

hopefully post a link from dropbox tonight

And your 2007 J-45 is skinny, just like that? Have not seen any newer ones with skinny necks - that might be the only thing that could get me interested in a new guitar, LOL. [biggrin]

There was a thread awhile back about a 2015 or 2014 reissue of the 1967 J-45. It was supposed to have a skinny vintage-accurate neck, but I never saw one of these actually advertised for sale in the US.

Del Drago and Boyd - The way I've read both of your neck posts in this thread, I think Del Drago is talking about the thinness of the neck from front to back, whereas Boyd is talking about the thinness of the neck/nut width. Is that right? My J50 has a skinnier neck in the front/back regard when compared to my other acoustics (Martin dreads with low profile necks), but the nut width is more generous than Martin's 1-11/16", and suits me better.

Boyd is talking about the thinness of the neck/nut width. Is that right?

No, I am talking about the thickness, not the width. My 1965 is very thin. I also have a 1974 J-50 and it has the same neck (nut) width as the 1965, but it is thicker. So the circumference of the 1965 neck is smaller, making it easier to wrap my hand around. :)

No, I am talking about the thickness, not the width. My 1965 is very thin. I also have a 1974 J-50 and it has the same neck (nut) width as the 1965, but it is thicker. So the circumference of the 1965 neck is smaller, making it easier to wrap my hand around. :)

Ahhhh, Bach. I thought you were talking about the narrow nut of the 65 J50. Is your 65 neck thinner than your Modern Classic? That would be skinny indeed! One of these days I need to find a 60s J50 to try out. My local Guitar Center had one last year, but it sold before I could get there to check it out.

OK, I never really compared them all that closely before. Found an old, rusty calipers that belonged to my father and probably hasn't been used for 50 years. [biggrin] Measuring at the nut, the 65 neck is maybe 1/16" thinner - not a big difference. But the 2008 just feels like a tree trunk compared to the 1965 neck. Of course, the width is a big factor. But looking closer, it's also the shape. The 2008 has a larger circumference.

I guess I understand the comment about neck being "thin" on the modern classic… if I place them right against each other, the thickness is similar. But when you wrap your hand around it, there's just no comparison. It would never occur to me to say that the Modern Classic neck reminds me of a 1960's neck. :)

Archived