Gibson Brands Forums

Gold foil in a Les Paul jr

Hendrixlvr

Hey folks. I'm thinking about replacing the stock p-90 in my jr with a Lollar gold foil pickup, but I can't find any examples online to see if this would even sound decent. Almost all the vids i find are about a neck pick-up..... Anyone have any links or thoughts on this possible mod?

I have not tried a Lollar P-90, but from what I read, they are some of the best and compare favorably against a stock 1950's P-90. I have never heard of "gold foil" one.

What I CAN tell you is Gibson P-90's from about 2005-2008 ALSO compare well against actual vintage P-90's, having listened to guitars with both AND having freinds that have had both. I haven't swapped personally between them in the same guitar, but have had friends that have. Also want to qualify, the reason I say 2008 is that is the last I bought some, and I can't promise or be sure they haven't changed, although I am guessing they haven't.

Can also say, the Fralin ones are SO CLOSE to the Gibson ones, I would only do Fralin vs a Gibson P-90 if I were starting over, depending on a best guess, but I wouldn't replace one with the other. They are both very good. I bring it up because, the P-90 was Lindy Fralin's specialty.

Said all that to say, is the "stock" Gibson P-90 is a very good pup, and actually is as good as any, boutique or vintage.

If you do try a replacement, I would be interested in your opinion.

On Lollar's site on the gold foil page there are sound clips of both bridge and neck pickups towards the bottom of the page. They're quite good and should give you a good idea.

I have not tried a Lollar P-90, but from what I read, they are some of the best and compare favorably against a stock 1950's P-90. I have never heard of "gold foil" one.

What I CAN tell you is Gibson P-90's from about 2005-2008 ALSO compare well against actual vintage P-90's, having listened to guitars with both AND having freinds that have had both. I haven't swapped personally between them in the same guitar, but have had friends that have. Also want to qualify, the reason I say 2008 is that is the last I bought some, and I can't promise or be sure they haven't changed, although I am guessing they haven't.

Can also say, the Fralin ones are SO CLOSE to the Gibson ones, I would only do Fralin vs a Gibson P-90 if I were starting over, depending on a best guess, but I wouldn't replace one with the other. They are both very good. I bring it up because, the P-90 was Lindy Fralin's specialty.

Said all that to say, is the "stock" Gibson P-90 is a very good pup, and actually is as good as any, boutique or vintage.

If you do try a replacement, I would be interested in your opinion.

The gold foil isn't a p90. It was a pickup made by DeArmond and used on many guitars like Harmony, Tiesco, etc

The gold foil isn't a p90. It was a pickup made by DeArmond and used on many guitars like Harmony, Tiesco, etc

Now, that makes more sense to me. Was wondering why Lollar would cal a version of a P-90 a "gold foil".

Now, that makes more sense to me. Was wondering why Lollar would cal a version of a P-90 a "gold foil".

I think because it fits perfectly into a P 90 rout.

Some luthiers think it is a one trick pony. Loads of presence.distinct sound.

Archived