Gibson Brands Forums

acceptable fret buzz/rattle

ics1974

I was thinking about lowering my action a little. Right now it is about 2 mm treble and base. I had it lowered a while ago to about 1.5 mm but noticed I could make it rattle/buzz acoustically when I strummed medium to hard. Through the amp I could only hear the buzz if I really tried to make it buzz.

Anyways am I being to picky or should I always eliminate all buzz acoustically and through the amp?

I think it's a personal preference. A couple of mine are so low they buzz acoustically, but plugged in you can't hear it, and that's what really matters (I mean, I really don't see you recording or performing with your SG unplugged, after all). Do what feels right to you, and if you like it that way, don't change a thing!

H-Bomb

What's acceptable fret buzz depends on the person. Some consider any buzz, even minor, unacceptable. Others don't care. I've come to accept that sometimes, it's just something you have to live with. If it drives you absolutely crazy, perhaps your local guitar tech can help reduce it.

When I first picked up my used '98 Standard, I had a bit of buzz on the low-E and even a bit on the A. This was even after a setup (mind you, action set not super-low, but somewhat low) and fresh strings. After a couple months and another string change, the fret buzz was gone (that or it was so minor that I don't notice even unplugged). Depending on the time of year, could also impact that I guess, from temps/humidity changes, the neck bow will vary ever so slightly.

I'm even tuned to drop-B (BADGBE) right now (learning a Tool song [Prison Sex] at the moment), and hardly no low-E buzz if any even with that low of a tension on the low-E. So I'm quite happy with it. We'll see come spring summer if the buzz gets worse as the temps and humidity go up (I'm in MI).

Try and get your local tech to do a setup on yours to try to eliminate the buzz. Depending on what action you want, he might be able to reduce the buzz. Truss rod might need a slight adjustment too. Maybe a of fret massaging too if there's a one or two that are high. And try some different brand strings. That alone sometimes solves the problem.

cheers

Archived