Gibson Brands Forums

Cigar box guitar?

Hendrixlvr

Hey folks. Was shopping for my next axe when I walked into the back of the music store and low and behold there were 3 cigar box guitars hanging on the wall....one was actually a 6 string! Made by a local builder here in Toronto, the shop had no info on the instrument, (ie pickup specifically), but it had a solid black single coil in the neck position, one volume, one tone (like I like😉).....anyway, regardless all they had was Roland cube amps in the store (small shop), so I plugged into one and holy crap! What a cool unique sound, even through a solid state amp..... I fell in love instantly, and for a $360 price tag, I think I'm gonna go back and grab it....it was just too cool to pass up.

Anyone here have any experience with these cigar box guitars?

No "personal" playing experience, but...

Saw Samantha Fish, last February, and she used an "Oil Can" (same principle, just and old oil can vs cigar box)

quite a bit!

And, Wichita Kansas blues band Moreland & Arbuckle, using a cigar box baritone/bass,

in this video. He uses a cigar box guitar, as well.

He appears to have it strung 2 bass strings, and 2 lighter gauge baritone or

guitar strings, for "slide!"

CB

I have one that was gifted to me by our drummer Bob last summer.

It was my birthday present in late July, and I was quite amazed.

The thing is crafted by a local cigar box luthier in Huntsville, and the guy actually carved each neck by hand.

I have found that the doggone thing sounds really good plugged in and at stage volumes, and doesn't sound half-bad distorted.

it's a three-stringer, so you have to figure out how you want to tune it and play it.

Setting it up just like the bottom three strings on a six-string guitar seems to be the easies, though there are some ukulele-like tunings that are probably more effective.

On our gig on the river on the 11th of June, I will bring it along for one or two bluegrass-style songs that we have been asked to perform.

Played clean, it can take on an almost banjo-like tone.

Montesino-cigar-box-guitar-Huntsville-AL-photo-by-Sheila-Scarborough.jpg

I tend to think of such pretty much the same way as the way I looked at a guy who showed up at a fiddling contest with a ham can fiddle.

It fit his ability; then again, my fiddle, the last time I tried to play it some 35 years ago or so, had made great music by the fiddler who gave it to me for backing him up n some contests; When I tried, the @#$#$ cat vomited on the living room carpet.

(Okay, I'm chuckling but...)

m

No "personal" playing experience, but...

Saw Samantha Fish, last February, and she used an "Oil Can" (same principle, just and old oil can vs cigar box)

quite a bit!

And, Wichita Kansas blues band Moreland & Arbuckle, using a cigar box baritone/bass,

in this video. He uses a cigar box guitar, as well.

He appears to have it strung 2 bass strings, and 2 lighter gauge baritone or

guitar strings, for "slide!"

CB

Hey I like that last mob!

Hey I like that last mob!

Yeah, they (Moreland and Arbuckle) have opened for a lot of Blues "big names," coming through town.

My only "concern" is that their music can tend toward being repetitive sounding, even within (or,

possibly because of) the modest framework, they use. But, what they DO, they do very well! [thumbup]

CB

Archived