Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian O

91 SJ "Banner"

Any thoughts on these guitars. I often see 50's, 60's and 70's and/or 2001-Present Gibson SJ's and J-45's for sale. Rarely anything in between. Why is that? I'm kinda looking at a 1991 Southern Jumbo. But I can find very little info on these years. It is apparently part of a series done by Ren Ferguson. 1943 Reissue. However, it seems they've done this reissue a few times more recently as well.

I have never played an early '90s Bozeman-reissue SJ, but I have heard from some folks who have, and have liked them immensely.

I think 1991 would be the possible "transition year" in which some guitars might have the paddle-cut neck joint and fullerplast finish, and some might have the dovetail and nitrocellulose finish.

I suspect there simply weren't that many made -- production volumes were lower back then.

If Hogeye is around and would pick up the red phone, maybe he could add some further information.

Fred

Any thoughts on these guitars. I often see 50's, 60's and 70's and/or 2001-Present Gibson SJ's and J-45's for sale. Rarely anything in between. Why is that? I'm kinda looking at a 1991 Southern Jumbo. But I can find very little info on these years. It is apparently part of a series done by Ren Ferguson. 1943 Reissue. However, it seems they've done this reissue a few times more recently as well.

Hi Brian: If you think you are missing playing an extraordinary Bozeman reissue -try getting your hands on one of the only

23 Bozeman 93-94 Epiphone Excellentes.These are truly great instruments in every respect. I know because I own 3 of them.

Moose

there out there.. the rosewood ones are tough to find.. :) made in a small batch..

I have one with mahogany b/s, a SJ-45 they called it. I guess it was a mix of the SJ and J45? No banner logo, but a modern Gibson not in pearl gold letter logo, no binding on the neck sort of a later 40's look to a Southern J.

It has a paddle cut neck join, but a nitro finish-how I know is because I've got a dull spot where my arm leans on lower bout. No checking on it, not even little checks which I'm supprised, thought that would have happened by now. I think it was just after they switched over from Fullerplast. It has birthday coming up in July - going to be 25 this year. I recently brought it to a store for a side by side with a brand new J45 Vintage series which has the cooked Adi top, and it gave up nothing in tone to that J45, a $3K guitar. Both had that low E and A string percussive thumpy vintage sound which I like to hear. I had a 2007 SJ True Vintage for awhile that didn't have that - probably because it had advanced jumbo bracing.

I don't know how many they made in Mahogany and called it a SJ-45 or the ones in Rosewood and called it a Southern Jumbo.? The Rosewood ones i've seen pictures of all have the banner and old script Gibson logo though from the same year. Not many though - could be most were made for the Japanese market since they are so rarely seen in the USA?

Some of the early 90's AJ and SJ (more models too?) had Braz. Rosewood bridges and finger boards as well, don't know if Gibson kept track of that either.

Yes that '91 SJ is a bit rare. There is something about the rw version being more desirable than the mahogany. I don't see them come up very often. The last I recall was '91 SJ rw on ebay with a top crack I think, was located and offered from Hawaii. Cool guitars IMO would dearly like to try one.

G'luck.

Just gotta check in here on 90's Gibsons. I have a 1991 J-45 standard. Got it on Ebay from an owner in Florida. Lots of finish checking and flaking off, etc. Came with the "shroud" case. It sounded great, but when I replaced the Tusq nut & saddle with bone it came alive! I love it. I've played against a SJ TV and a heavily cracked and repaired banner j-45 and it sounded far better. It's got scratches scrapes and cracks and I can take it anywhere. I see the 90's Gibson acoustics as "Entry-Level Vintage". (Or poor mans vintage if you like)

-Conversely I scored and later sold '91 L-00 and it sucked. So, this endorsement may apply only to Jumbos. :-({|=

Gibson produced 15 S.J. rosewoods in 1991. They made 66 in 1992. 1 in 1994. none for the rest of the 90's.

They made 32 in mahogany in 1991. 48 in 1992. 23 in 1993 and then production took off. They made 256 in 1998.

I know where 3 Brazilian rosewood versions are that were made as Customs in 1991. They did a total of 5.

Gibson used one of Eldon Whitfords Southern Jumbos as guide.

When Gibson started reissuing instruments they asked Vintage collectors to help soliciting guitars to copy. They never reissued a particular year in the beginning just using guitars they could borrow. Folks immediately started writing in saying their guitar had different specifications and it was later that Gibson took the criticism to heart and announced the specific guitar they used to get the specifications from. An example of this would be the 1942 J-45 Legend reissue from the Eldon Whitford guitar.

The majority of the 1991 Southern Jumbos were the compound dovetail neck joint with the nitro finish.

I scored and later sold '91 L-00 and it sucked. So, this endorsement may apply only to Jumbos. :-({|=

Those L00s had the 25.5 (AJ) scale. Wrong sound. And probably were more heavily braced than the originals.

Those L00s had the 25.5 (AJ) scale. Wrong sound. And probably were more heavily braced than the originals.

Exactly! One passed - hurriedly - through my hands a few years back, and you describe its problems precisely.

Gibson produced 15 S.J. rosewoods in 1991. They made 66 in 1992. 1 in 1994. none for the rest of the 90's.

They made 32 in mahogany in 1991. 48 in 1992. 23 in 1993 and then production took off. They made 256 in 1998.

I know where 3 Brazilian rosewood versions are that were made as Customs in 1991. They did a total of 5.

Gibson used one of Eldon Whitfords Southern Jumbos as guide.

When Gibson started reissuing instruments they asked Vintage collectors to help soliciting guitars to copy. They never reissued a particular year in the beginning just using guitars they could borrow. Folks immediately started writing in saying their guitar had different specifications and it was later that Gibson took the criticism to heart and announced the specific guitar they used to get the specifications from. An example of this would be the 1942 J-45 Legend reissue from the Eldon Whitford guitar.

The majority of the 1991 Southern Jumbos were the compound dovetail neck joint with the nitro finish.

Well today, I picked up one of the 32 in mahogany! It is a great sounding instrument. I love the neck. I suspect mine actually has the Paddle-Cut joint but I'm not yet certain. Once I give it a string change I will better tell that. Thanks for the info!

Great catch! They have that old sound. Does it say Southern Jumbo on the label? And have a script Gibson logo and banner? You'll have to post some pictures. I have a '91 SJ-45 with a belly down bridge, no script, no finger board binding, SJ neck inlays - but it is labeled SJ-45

Well today, I picked up one of the 32 in mahogany! It is a great sounding instrument. I love the neck. I suspect mine actually has the Paddle-Cut joint but I'm not yet certain. Once I give it a string change I will better tell that. Thanks for the info!

Congratulations!

Is this the one you bought?

https://reverb.com/item/2314478-gibson-southern-jumbo-sj-banner-reissue-1991-suburst

FWIW there is a rosewood model for sale on reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/1378267-1991-92-gibson-banner-southern-jumbo-reissue

Congrats, Brian- post some photos &/or a sound clip when it gets to it's new home.

Bayou Ben- good find: the 24-years-as-a-guitar rosewood SJ on Reverb would make any rosewood J-45 fan want to contact seller Fanny's House of Music to take a load off Fanny. But; Firestripe guards on these? And unbound necks, as the early ones.

Hogeye- good info on the 90's reissues, and "interesting" to know that there are 5 that were rendered in Brazilian.

Congratulations!

Is this the one you bought?

https://reverb.com/item/2314478-gibson-southern-jumbo-sj-banner-reissue-1991-suburst

FWIW there is a rosewood model for sale on reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/1378267-1991-92-gibson-banner-southern-jumbo-reissue

Yes, that's her. She's already home, I live in Atlanta too so I just met up with the seller to try it out first. No waiting involved. I'll try to get some of my own pics later today.

Yes, that's her. She's already home, I live in Atlanta too so I just met up with the seller to try it out first. No waiting involved. I'll try to get some of my own pics later today.

[thumbup]

The ad on Reverb for the mahogany SJ says Adi top. I thought these all had Sitka spruce on the tops.

Yeah, I believe it is actually Sitka.I didn't see this on reverb before I bought it. He had it posted on the local craigslist. I don't think it mentioned Adi on that but I could be wrong.