Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 through a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb?

dannyangus902

Well I'm not playing a 335 through Vibrolux, but since you got no replies I'll see if I can assist a little. I do play a 336 through a tube amp (Rivera Venus 6). Since Gibsons with humbuckers are pretty meaty sounding and mid range heavy I usually set my treble control about 7, mid range and bass about 4 to 5. Volume and reverb on the amp set to the size of the room or band's volume. On the guitar set volumes at about 7.5 and tones to about the same. Then as you switch pickup settings, you can adjust the volume and tone on the guitar up or down to suit your ear for the part you are playing, and not have to adjust the amplifier.

Too many guitar players have this misconception that to get the best tone they must have all their tone and volume knobs on the guitar set at 10. They are missing out on so much of what a Gibson can do with it's classic two pickup, three position switching.

Hope that gives you a starting point anyway.

I don't have a Vibrolux but I have a DR that I play my 335 through. And I play through various other BF/SF amps often. I mostly just leave the tone controls straight up on the amp and adjust my guitar's controls as necessary. I generally like to keep the guitar's volume control at 7 or 8 maximum and keep the amp's volume up a little rather than diming the guitar and adjusting the amp volume lower. Like keep the amp's volume on like 4 or even 5 and dial back the guitar's volume until you're getting the breakup you want without making the amp start slobbering. That lets the amp "breathe". If you look at SRV you'll notice that he kept his volume controls on the guitar at like 5 to say 7 most of the time. It takes a little more skill with your knobs to play this way. I find it very difficult to do well. But that's the way lots of guys play their Fender amps.

I don't have a Vibrolux but I have a DR that I play my 335 through. And I play through various other BF/SF amps often. I mostly just leave the tone controls straight up on the amp and adjust my guitar's controls as necessary. I generally like to keep the guitar's volume control at 7 or 8 maximum and keep the amp's volume up a little rather than diming the guitar and adjusting the amp volume lower. Like keep the amp's volume on like 4 or even 5 and dial back the guitar's volume until you're getting the breakup you want without making the amp start slobbering. That lets the amp "breathe". If you look at SRV you'll notice that he kept his volume controls on the guitar at like 5 to say 7 most of the time. It takes a little more skill with your knobs to play this way. I find it very difficult to do well. But that's the way lots of guys play their Fender amps.

4 or 5 on the amp volume?!...lol. I keep mine about 7 or 8, sometimes I just turn it all the way!

Anyway, totally agree here- use the guitar volume and tone knobs.

Couple things: Fender Blackfaced/silverfaced circuits tend to be on the bright side, and sometimes, turning them up also makes them brighter at the same time as you turn them up.

Other thing: The reissues and the "Custom Vibrolux" are not actually the same amps as the originals they are pattered after. Some adjustment has to be made to how they react.

Just to repeat what has been said above, it's good, VERY good to used the controls on the guitar at least as much as you use the ones on the amp.

Also, EXPERIMENT is where the fun is at in discovering an amp and what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep... quick setup with EQ, preamp, volume straight up...a little reverb for the venue.

Use controls on guitar to tweak while you sing/guitar solo "on the fly". This makes adjustments easier than fiddling with the amp knobs between songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I will echo what has already been said... The guitar controls are your friend. I just got a CVR in April> I traded my AC15CX1 for it. It was a hard decision because the Vox is very cool. No regrets though! Mine is bone stock. I did replace all of the tubes to the Tung-Sol reissues - with the 5881's in the power sockets.

Originally I thought I would trade/sell the Vibrolux because it is worth a little more than the used Vox.

Now that I have had it for a few months I really don't think I am going to get rid of it. I have fallen head over heels for the thing.

As to your question, I am running the volume at around 3-4ish on the bright side, right at the edge of breakup. The tone knobs vary with the situation but generally I have to treble set at 6-7 and the bass at 4-5ish.

The tone on my guitar is rolled off and I have more than enough highs when my group leans into it. Sometimes when soloing I will turn them right up. We don't play too loudly and I have more than enough headroom. My volume on the guitar can go as low as 3 or 4 at times.

Unfortunately we are not gigging at the moment and I have not played it out live yet. So, if you are playing out YMMV.

If you are playing out - I would love to hear what is working for you.

Good luck with it! Gibson guitars and Fender amps are too cool together.

Archived