Gibson Brands Forums

Love for my J45 Custom Rosewood

generaldreedle

So I'm taking bluegrass lessons here at Dusty Strings in Seattle and always get a serious case of guitar envy as I leave and look at the Collings guitars, particularly the D1 and the D1A, to the point where I was seriously thinking of getting one of them, even if it meant selling the J45 or the D28 I have. Well today as I was walking through I decided to go into a room with my J45 and just compare the sound with the two Collings. My j45 custom had John Pearse strings and I was using a medium/thin pick. Wow,

The D1 sounded good, but the tone was a little "back of the throat" if that makes any sense, not muddled, but not as clear as the J45, and no sustain. I liked the D1 still, but it was nowhere close to the J45.

The D1A sounded great and articulate, but not better than the J45 at all, just different.

So I decided if I was going to get one I'd get the D1A, but I wouldn't even consider that unless I traded in the D28 and I now learned my lesson, I won't do that unless I bring the D28 in to compare. I also learned that strings and pick make a huge difference to the tone. I really love how the J45 sounds right now. Just about perfect.

I have had mine a little over two years now. It's here to stay. Looks, sounds and records so good. I've never for a moment regretted buying it. It's a fine keeper instrument.

That's a really good lesson in that the grass is not always greener etc . I have had the same experience with a few big expensive £3,000 + guitars that I tried in stores . Just can't beat a Gibson , I had a comment not so long ago after playing during our church service , one of the congregation said " that guitar your playing sounds like a real guitar " he then joked that he was talking about the sound not the technique lol . That's why I would never part with my J45 , mind you a Hummingbird would be the next friend to my J45

I love mine. I tried 4 different models in 2011 (51st birthday sort of thing). I strummed it once and my wife said, "Oh that's the one." Never looked back. It ain't goin nowhere.

Yes, and to expand/link with 58R's Church story - if you purchase a particular brand guitar, because you like the way some one plays it (take Leadbelly, for example) you'll find that half of what you hear is 'technique'.

So, if you don't have the same skill set - you're not going to be able to duplicate the overall results. Sort of like buying a Daytona 500 race car and crashing it on the Jersey Turnpike on your first day out.

And, to expand on the "Church" theme - ala the Eric Church "Signature Hummingbird" being discussed here in other threads - you obviously can purchase a brand and a model but get snookered when you buy the 'signature' version - to find out, not only can you not play like Eric Church - but his signature model is not what he's been using for years. It's a new spin, courtesy of the marketing people, on an old standard.

I guess this has little to do directly with "Love for my J45 Custom Rosewood". But I surely love mine ... in KOA ! Good thread!

In all it's variations, the J45 is a splendid guitar. Glad you're enjoying your J45. I appreciate the workmanship that goes into a Collings, but they're voiced to a more modern tone and I just can't get interested in them. They're definitely nice guitars, but for all practical reasons, not worth the money and not any better than what I've got.

not that it's the same, but...

when I bought my J200 in march, it put an end to any potential quest for an Acoustic NGD.

Already owning 2 very nice Taylors (one has recently been sold) and a pretty nice 1978 Alvarez Yari DY74, I can say with out doubt, none of them do what this J200 does.

I have to say I had only played Mahogany 45's but today I received my new ('04) J45 Custom Rosewood and it is indeed special. Great tone that's not too bright, well balanced and great bass. The volume is great and it plays like a '45 should. IMG_1996_zpsohdrotnr.jpgIMG_1993%201_zpsq3dwfghv.jpgIMG_1994_zpsaf11zjgf.jpgIMG_1995_zpsrddi2ljl.jpgIMG_1998_zpshc3e3zfu.jpg

Props to you on showing that much restraint when GAS was upon you. Collings guitars are pretty incredible and I just fell for one myself. But, J45 Customs can be pretty incredible too. I have one that is not going anywhere anytime soon. Mine is a bit heavy (4 pounds, 15 ounces) which is more than a pound heavier than my mahogany Gibsons. But, the sound that comes out of that thing is stunning and goes on forever. They are beautiful as well, with a little more bling than standard models. Good on you for keeping yours!

Archived