Gibson Brands Forums

Always on pedal

Hendrixlvr

Just curious. Anyone ever experiment with an 'always on' drive pedal, and using the guitar volume to clean up? I would think this would be a pretty good way of getting 'THAT' tone without having to crank the amp...

And if so, what's your favorite drive pedal to use? I've always used tube screamers, but I'm hearing alot of good things about the Wampler Tumnus...

Because I mostly play with my twin channel TH30 it's not always on.

But I have my channel footswitch right under my Bax Bangeetar's on switch, because on the dirty channel it is a always on pedal.

For me it is the perfect drive, and if I wan't I can easily clean it with my guitars volume knob.

The boost option comes really handy too. Surprisingly, with my simplistic Micro Terror it produces magic.

Would love to try that thing on a OR15 or a Blues Junior, but I'm scared that I may end up with another Amp.

So I just tried something very interesting...the exotic ep booster through my pro jr, with my Les Paul Jr DC, however I kept the amp volume very very low, and dimed the ep, and it still added a nice crunchy gain that cleaned up immaculately with either the guitar volume, or simply by lightening up my picking....very interesting indeed....small amp though, I tried it with a twin and it did absolutely nothing lol

Depends on the situation, and available, usable volume!

Low volume, I (generally) have a compressor on, especially

with SS amps. To give that "tube" sag, and sustain, at lower

volumes. At gigs, with full usable volume, I sometimes use

it, as well, though set up differently...and even add another

one, at still different settings, for the Ric 12-string, to

get more of that really squeezed "Byrds" tone.

Then again, if the stars are aligned, and everything is lovely,

I may use nothing but the guitar and amp, at it's "Sweet

Spot!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived