Gibson Brands Forums

1963 SG Jr

Hendrixlvr

Hi folks. I had the privilege of being able to plunk away on this guitar

(https://reverb.com/ca/item/776960-1963-gibson-sg-junior-cherry)

yesterday, and thought i'd fall in love instantly since I love my '58 Les Paul Jr DC reissue....however I honestly wasn't very impressed....i was sad.... playability wasn't he greatest, but that's something that can always be fixed, (except the skinny neck), what stunned me was how terrible it sounded. The p-90 was weak and 'flappy' sounding, and I know it wasn't just the amp, cause I tried it through multiple amps at the store....has anyone else had an opportunity to play of these? Did I just happen to play a dud or is this standard for the sg jr's?

I have one of the re-makes (2011) that sounds just fine. Did have a 61 that needed electronics replaced. Had to sell it in the 80s when I was laid off so my kids could have Christmas. Headstock on the 61 was marked Les Paul Jr.

I have one of the re-makes (2011) that sounds just fine. Did have a 61 that needed electronics replaced. Had to sell it in the 80s when I was laid off so my kids could have Christmas. Headstock on the 61 was marked Les Paul Jr.

How's the neck on that reissue?

Well, just goes to show that just because it is old, don't have to mean it is good. OR that just because it is good, don't mean it's what everyone wants.

We are all individuals, and so are guitars.

Couple observations from the past: SG's ARE different than Jr.s. Lighter weight, less wood makes for different sound. There are lots of differences in the design.

Also, in my experience, P-90s are perhaps the most sensitive pickup depending on what guitar it is in. I mean, all pickups have the potential to sound different, or have a different effect when placed in different guitars, but with the P-90, it seems to be more often and more extreme.

THIS is why we like to go to guitar shops as opposed to the on-line thing. Sometimes the guitar is a dog, sometimes a great one. In-hand is the way to go. There's lots of guitars out there.

Yup. I suppose the thin body and neck was probably the major contributor to it sounding soooo different from my jr...don't get me wrong, it was still a super cool axe, and the next guy who grabs it may love it....i was just surprised all....i guess I'll just have to go out and play more guitars lol.....i love being a music store pain in the *** 😉

IF it were me, and I "loved" the guitar in every other way, I would have just had the pickup rewound,

if needed, or the contacts re-soldered, wiring and pots replaced, etc. But, since the overall feeling

and sound, did't trip your trigger, you made the right choice, in moving on! Not being a "collector,"

in the true sense, I (generally) don't give a squat, whether or not it's "all original," parts wise!

I DO care, though, if it's been physically altered, beyond using better sounding, or working (compatible)

electronics.

You'll find another, I'm sure, if you want one bad enough. [thumbup]

CB

Was that link to the exact guitar you played or just a similar one? $3100 for an SG with a broken off and repaired headstock would have made me walk out too! Not to mention the condition of the wiring. There are better ones out there.

Was that link to the exact guitar you played or just a similar one? $3100 for an SG with a broken off and repaired headstock would have made me walk out too! Not to mention the condition of the wiring. There are better ones out there.

[thumbup] yes, I could buy one tomorrow from a luthier who I know is meticulous about guitars and has a 65 Jr for sale on commission at c$2000 US equivilent - superbly refinished by said luthier in beautiful cherry, but otherwise pretty much perfect with vibrato and all. I'm sure the right one will come along for you in time.

[thumbup] yes, I could buy one tomorrow from a luthier who I know is meticulous about guitars and has a 65 Jr for sale on commission at c$2000 US equivilent - superbly refinished by said luthier in beautiful cherry, but otherwise pretty much perfect with vibrato and all. I'm sure the right one will come along for you in time.

For 60's Gibsons, a re-fin can hurt the value as much as a repaired headstock.

2K would be a good price though if it was done well, and if mostly all original.

Well, having just looked at the listing, I wonder if the guitar is even wired properly.

Seems the seller doesn't have a lot of info about it either, and to spite what it says in the ad, DOESN'T have good pics of the cavity. Also, kinda wondering why the headstock break pics wouldn't have been in the ad the first time.

What cracked me up was "pics showing evidence of headstock break"....lol. It's pretty obvious here. You can tell it is a repaired headstock from across a room I'm sure. Don't need no EVIDENCE.

For the price, I think the important questions are: how original is the finish, (besides the broken headstock work), are the parts original, and is the pickup original.

Then a guy could maybe figure out if it's worth 500 bucks or 2500 bucks, or where in between.

Archived