Gibson Brands Forums

Going into the studio soon

MissouriPicker

Got myself hooked-up with a local recording studio. Started seriously considering it after Anne told us about her experience. Will start on a 8-10 song project within the next 10 days or so. If this goes well, I'll add a couple more songs. Got a pretty good idea of what songs I'll do and now just waiting for a start date. He told me to pick out one (two at the most) guitar/s for the project that sound good played into a mic. That will be a tough decision to make...lol....That's the problem with more guitars than I can play at once....but I'll continue to tolerate and live with that problem. Anyway, I think I'll enjoy this. Mediocre talent and top-notch equipment. At the very least I'll sound a little less worse.

You are a man of action. I am thrilled for you, and can't wait to hear the product, having already heard your own recordings.

MP, this is terrific news, and you are an inspiration to hacks everywhere (especially all of us). You make great and honest real music, always true to you, and this will work out incredibly!

Great news... Very pleased...

Great news indeed! Cant't wait to hear of the journey- the choices re song selection, production options and equipment are part of the fun. Good on ya!

Be sure to bring one with the Anthem in it. That'll give him an option to go direct in addition to micing. I was told the signal was perfect for it and allowed him to maximize the body of sound.

And do consider playing two gits on one song- I did it with the Sweet Return track-where using a capo and different chording on a different guitar REALLY gave it a sparkle.

If you have some lead time and can do some homework, see if you can throw on headphones and play along with a click track- it greatly assists with post-production treatment. Me, I couldn't do it at the time- it threw me off my game, so my guy was able to work around it. In the time since, I've been practicing with it, so I might be able to do it next time.

I'm really glad for you, Larry- way to take it up a step!

If you are paying him, why is he limiting your choice of instruments?

On a full length album project?

I'd bring in a whole truckload of gear, if I wanted to......

Otherwise, I'm really happy for you, man. There is no experience like it in the World. Back nearly 2 decades ago our full length, full production was a venture for profit and fame. I wouldn't trade a minute of the experience that lasted for several years.

Now that I'm older, and wiser, I simply want to leave a little history for friends and family and don't have much interest in fame and fortune, although I wouldn't mind a little more fortune !

You have some good stuff and a darned good following, and I can't wait to hear the finished product.

May God Bless.

Hey Larry,

good for you man,

I've done a lot of recording in a variety of studio setups for many years now.

I find it can be quite tedious at times, but the final product is always rewarding if you have the right setup/environment.

IGNORE THE RED (record) LIGHT! :)

Looking forward to hearing an update on this endeavor.

Looking forward to the results as well. At the very least - it will be an inspiration and legacy for your family. But most important - a validation of all you've done to get to this point!

I am jealous, of course. I agree with several comments here - take at least 2 guitars. The sound guy just wants to make his job easier. When I was in grammar school we were told we could only have 2 pencils. We're adults now.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. Should be fun. I'm likely going to stick with one-two guitars. Probably be "the bird," or the dove, or the J45, or the J15, or the J100, or the koa AJ, or the rosewood AJ...lol...Seriously, I'm definitely leaning toward the J100 because it has the Anthem to go along with the acoustic volume. The Anthem is a real pure tone if I need to add to the guitar volume. Really leaning heavily toward one of the two birds (Dove, Hummingbird) also. Maybe both. He's uses Neumann and Rodes mics mainly, he said. One is a Tl-something 49 and some Rodes he has on booms. I know this old gal who plays fiddle and she's into folksy stuff too. Going to use her on some songs. I might add some of my own banjo. We'll see how it goes. No big rush for me. Just looking-forward to doing it.........I'll keep you folks updated on this.. Thanks for the encouragement and good wishes.

This is great news Larry.I think you'll get a top notch result.Your raw material has real studio potential.Looking forward to it.Anne's results are an inspiration for us all.

I hope you can resist the Phil Specter Wall of Sound production...but I'm not sure..MP with six girl backing singers and a twelve piece brass section could be interesting. [biggrin]

MP-

That's awesome about you going into a studio soon. What guitar will you record with? I am very interested in how you are going to lay down tracks. Will this be a solo venture or will you be using other instruments to accompany your acoustic?

Archived