Gibson Brands Forums

sj100 bubinga

Gibson Artist

It was a regular model for a few years, so the bubinga version is not super rare.

As I recall, folks who've played them say they sound great. I've owned both a '96 mahogany & '00 maple J-100 (still own the maple), and have played a number of others. They've all had a consistently rich & resonant tone.

Bubinga was pretty big there in the mid to late 90's. Mesa Boogie and a couple others were making Bubinga cabinets, usenet clowns were coo-ing over the tonewood in their amp cabs ferkrissakes. It is close to Ovankgol, another of the species used because "it is one of the less expensive woods". Funny, guitars and amps made of these less expensive woods aren't. It was a weird time.

rct

I had a J-100 Xtra with figured bubinga back and sides for 11 years. Bought it new and finally sold it earlier this year (I could never get comfortable with the super jumbo size). The figured ones were reasonably rare (I only saw one other over the years) but the regular bubinga is fairly common. Really nice body wood. Kind of closer in tone to rosewood.

I traded for one some years ago and still love the guitar - Bubinga is a very sweet tonewood.

I put in an offer to the guy but so far no dice. Man, what a beautiful looker it is, and the bubinga 100xtra i heard on Youtube sounded simply beautiful. Gotta say, i love the look of that wood.

Archived