Gibson Brands Forums

DI Box recommendation

forresal

Greetings -

Looking for a recommendation for a DI Box to go along with my 2011 Gibson Hummingbird Artist with the LR Baggs Element preamp/pickup.

I've used the LRB Para Acoustic DI in the past with a Breedlove which was nice. Neither were my own but the PADI is the leading choice based on my familiarity with it. Another box that was recommended to me was the Radial Pro DI. I understand the basic differences between the two boxes. But thought I'd check in with the Gibson-ites here to see what they recommend would fit my guitar best.

If it makes a difference, I'm mostly a strummer with occasional light fingerpicking.

Thanks in advance!

F

I tried the Fishman Aura Spectrum and it was too gimicky for me. Like trying tofind something on the television. Don't get me wrong I liked it, but could have seen myself doing more putzing around than playing. In the end the end I got a Venue, it shapes the sound of my guitar. I'm happpy with it. Get yourself one maybe you will be happy too! Hope you are anyway.

I'd give the Fishman aura spectrum DI box a go. I bought one used... It was awesome. I dialed in the "images" for my guitars recorded with different mics. Kind of gimmicky, but it sounded great. Blend 30% image with 70% UST.

What he said. Very easy to use and sounds awesome.

I've used a number, including the Baggs PADI. But, I find simple is best for me. I use the simplest: the Fire-Eye Dee-Eye.

2015-9-3+Red-Eye-246-Edit.jpg?format=500w

The Dee-Eye offers only high quality impedance matching and XLR phantom power. I like having only one location for tone adjustment: the amp/PA. Otherwise, it's easy to get a battle going between the DI box and the PA, resulting in mush.

I've used a number, including the Baggs PADI. But, I find simple is best for me. I use the simplest: the Fire-Eye Dee-Eye.

2015-9-3+Red-Eye-246-Edit.jpg?format=500w

The Dee-Eye offers only high quality impedance matching and XLR phantom power. I like having only one location for tone adjustment: the amp/PA. Otherwise, it's easy to get a battle going between the DI box and the PA, resulting in mush.

With what pick up jt?

With what pick up jt?

A K&K in one guitar and some kind of Baggs in another.

I probably like it because:

1) I'm not smart enough to use one set of dials on a DI and another on the amp or PA

2) It sounds good

3) Sound guys always ask me and other performers to set EQ flat on a DI because they don't want to engage in a battle of the dials

4) See reason #1

thanks everyone for the tips.

I got my hands on my friend's PADI so I'll be trying that out. But I do like the idea of simple. The guitar doesn't have an EQ so the PADI helps. I often play at a church that doesn't have a regular staffed soundguy.....he basically balances the levels of 4 people on the platform and doesn't EQ anything from the board very much so the control is up to me. But like the previous comments, I'm not very smart either....

I've owned an LR Baggs PADI, LR Baggs Venue, Fishman Aura Spectrum, and currently have a Radial PZ Pre. All the others are gone except for the Radial. hands down the best sounding of the ones listed, and it's the most versatile and the only one that will take two inputs, so you can run a dual source instrument into it, or two separate instruments if you'd like. I just like Radial gear, it's top notch, built incredibly well, and just sounds great. Recently saw Jay Farrar and he was actually using three of these, one for reach acoustic he had on stage along with a Boss TU-3 with each Radial DI. If you're on a budget and/or don't want to shell out a lot of money the PADI would be the way to go, just understand that it has a SUPER powerful EQ section, which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on the individual. If you're not familiar with EQ and what affects what you'll have your guitar sound worse than better with a PADI. That coupled with controls that aren't the most user friendly and it only runs on batteries, and no option for an external power supply. But they have been around forever, are also very rugged and can sound wonderful as long as the person who's messing with the controls knows what they are doing.

post-62572-084733500 1467507796_thumb.jpeg

I have a K&K in my J50. I have an Orchid Muting DI. It is a great muting box that keeps it simple and sounds great. I have not used it with the other two guitars I have gigged with (that don't have k&ks).

I am curious how that Radial would work, not only with the K&K, but with a Baggs M1a, and with a Baggs Element VTC... Can it do it all?

I sold that... It was nice, but I liked the k&ks through the Orchid just fine, so I sold the Aura.

I know I'm jumping in late in the conversation but a great DI is the LR Baggs Venue DI. It's $300 but it really does shape your sound because it has so many parameters that you can adjust, bass, treble, mids, presence, gain, it even has a pure boost button you can stomp on, it has a built it tuner.

It is fantastic. Check on Reverb for a used one or thru sweetwater for a demo to save some money. It is the very best built in EQ I know of. The Fishman Aura is good. No doubt.

Here is why the Venue DI is great, if your guitar needs more bottom end you can add it. If you want more treble you can add it. It's really nice and super easy to use. Here is a video on it from the Acoustic Guitar Magazine. It does not have a built in compressor but you might not want one. Yes it's expensive but it's worth it if you play live.

I own several DI boxes (Venue, countryman, Radial Pro, Radial JDI, Para DI, Radial Deluxe Pre, Fishman Platinum Pro). I also gig out couple times a month so sound is paramount to me.

My advice: IF you don't need tone shaping, go with a Radial Pro for $99 -- can't beat it for a straight DI box. IF you need tone shaping, go with a Fishman Platinum Pro.

Archived