Gibson Brands Forums

For dog and animal lovers

Guitar God

Weird because I posted this earlier and it's not coming up on here for me. Anyway, I came across this video on YouTube last night that I thought was very beautiful and touching. I shed some tears. I had to share. I had a Newfoundland named Zeus, myself. He passed away last January a few months shy of being 13. Would've been 14 this month if he was still alive. For dog and animal lovers that know heartbreaking it is to loose a beloved pet!

Oh man.

Thanks for posting that.

Such a good and heart-felt video.

We lost our old boy Chuck earlier this year at age 12. He was a German Shepherd/Golden retriever mix.

Last year his brother Rudi passed away at 14. Rudinski was a dachshund, and they were best buddies.

Prayers to you and the entire family.

Those dogs, they love unconditionally, and they hold our hearts.

More importantly, they make us better people by their very example of goodness.

Here is an old photo of Chuck and Rudi from their younger days, visiting Chattanooga, TN.

[crying]

chuck-and-rudi-loading.jpg

Oh man.

Thanks for posting that.

Such a good and heart-felt video.

We lost our old boy Chuck earlier this year at age 12. He was a German Shepherd/Golden retriever mix.

Last year his brother Rudi passed away at 14. Rudinski was a dachshund, and they were best buddies.

Prayers to you and the entire family.

Those dogs, they love unconditionally, and they hold our hearts.

More importantly, they make us better people by their very example of goodness.

Here is an old photo of Chuck and Rudi from their younger days, visiting Chattanooga, TN.

[crying]

chuck-and-rudi-loading.jpg

You're welcome! That video brought me to tears. Beautiful video and it made me think of my Zeus that passed away last January. Weird how the Newfoundland in that video was named Zeus and I had a Newfoundland named Zeus, too. Oh, man. Sorry for your loss. [crying] It's never easy. They're family. Prayers to you, too! Good looking dogs, by the way! I have 5 dogs right now. Two Newfoundlands, a Yellow Labrador Retriever, and two Boston Terriers. Here is a picture of my late Newfoundland, Zeus, with my male Boston Terrier, George, when George was still a puppy a few months before Zeus passed away. Zeus would've been 14 this month if he was still alive.

gDvzjkT.jpg

Here is my 13 week old male Newfoundland puppy, Duke.

1zR8Mcb.jpg

Here is my female Newfoundland, Daisy. She is 1 and a half years old.

uocoyMu.jpg

Here is my Yellow Labrador Retriever, Jake. He'll be 7 years old in September.

Casqcng.jpg

Here is my male Boston Terrier, George. He'll be 2 years old in September.

9Fiw6yB.jpg

And here is my female Boston Terrier, Nikki. She just turned 5 years old.

FUYzOJF.jpg

I may come across as heartless, but for someone who clearly loved his dog to demonstrate such a massive lack of understanding as evidenced by this anthropomorphised rhetoric is ridiculous. I understand that he needs to express his grief, but youtube is overindulgent IMO.

I couldn't watch it...

My kitty (even though he was often more like a dog :)), Brutus died a few years back... I still miss him every day and seeing the dog in that vid having trouble walking reminded me of the last few days.... I had to turn it off..... Not that I could complain, he lived to a grand age of 20 and was still playing like a kitten till the last week of his life... but it still hurts :(

This is him one of the cutest, funniest and fluffiest cats I ever knew...

DSC01r220_zps013a0b42.jpg

kittycouchsepia_zps93e25b7f.jpg

almost more than anything in the world.. man that cat loved to fight :) (as did I)

DSC00500_zpsta2ynf8b.jpg

DSC01227_zpsaea5ba82.jpg

October 17th last year we lost our darling 10 year old Prudence very suddenly to her weakened, bad from the start heart. We miss that cat to the point of physical sensation, I go to my amps and guitars in their cases on the stands that she would walk across, I reach for her, I listen for her at night. Goddammit we miss her. The silver tri in front:

Prudence%20and%20Ichabod%20and%20EJ%201.jpg

rct

you can't own a dog or a cat, and not experience the heart ache when their (much shorter than our) time comes to an end.

we have had a number of dogs, each one has their own paw-prints on my heart, I will say tho,, dogs all have their own personality that endears us to them, and some of these little guys hurt a lot to say good bye. I've yet to go looking for another companion, but lately I do think about it more and more..

Love your doggies Guitar God. I have two Bostons at home too: one female we raised since she was a puppy and a male we rescued. The female is healthy as a horse, outside of being an excitement pee-r. The male has a lot of health issues. His allergies are under control now with Zyrtec and plant sterols, but he has bad knees (luxating patella). One was operated on when we got him and the other is starting to go. We don't think he'd survive a surgery since he's already gone through a round of heartworm treatment (that'll age a dog and put stress on their heart). My wife occasionally brings up that at some point in the next few years we may have to think about putting him down. Breaks my heart into a million pieces. When we got him, he wasn't socialized so it took a lot of training and patience to soften the old guy up. Now all he wants to do is sit on your lap and have his back scratched.

While we are on this subject I would like to ask two questions that the wife and I have contemplated lately. First, If you know you have to put your pet to sleep do you drop it off and leave before it is carried out or do you stay and be close to your pet while they pass away? Second at our age we have discussed if we want to get another Dog or not? We travel and do not like putting the dog in a kennel plus we are just getting to the point that we do not know if we want to train another or not.

While we are on this subject I would like to ask two questions that the wife and I have contemplated lately. First, If you know you have to put your pet to sleep do you drop it off and leave before it is carried out or do you stay and be close to your pet while they pass away? Second at our age we have discussed if we want to get another Dog or not? We travel and do not like putting the dog in a kennel plus we are just getting to the point that we do not know if we want to train another or not.

Well I can only say what I think..

But yes, when they did the injection for my cat I was there and stroked him till the end to try and make it as easy for him as possible... Was one of the most heart-breaking moments of my life.. But I had to be there for him and wouldn't have had it any other way..

And secondly... I think that if you lead the sort of lifestyle where you arnt around much, its not really fair to get a dog.. If you have someone the dog can stay with when you are away that's something else, but kennels can really stress a dog out... I remember once we had to put our family dog in a kennel when we went on holiday, when we came back he had a sore on the top of his nose where he was putting it through the cage, never again....... Id love another cat or dog, but im not in the position to in both terms of my lifestyle and at the moment financially... Maybe one day when I retire or something...

1. Go with, stay, hold onto. Do NOT let anyone tell you different, go to another vet if they won't let you be with him/her. We held onto Mowgli, our 17 year old Bermudian cat when we had to do that, we wouldn't have it any other way. I could not let these little beings out of this world without knowing we, or one of us, was there.

2. Can't speak for dogs, we are cat peoples. We have an excellent sitter that comes in and gets the mail and all that, and she loves Ichabod and she loved Prudence like we did. We go on stupid long trips around the country, so we have to pay somebody to look after the animals, why not the house too?

We can't now, but we know we gotta have some grrrl cat in our lives, if not soon, then immediately after we retire in two years.

rct

I second what Rabs and rct said.

To add to the travel question, we used to put our dogs in the equivalent of a doggie daycare where all of the dogs run around together and are not caged. All my dogs would do is sit together in the corner; meaning they were scared. Now we have a dog walker that comes to our place and take them out and feed them. It is so much better because the dogs get to stay in their own environment. One of our annual vacations is a trip to my home town in rural Michigan so the dogs go with us for that.

I second what Rabs and rct said.

To add to the travel question, we used to put our dogs in the equivalent of a doggie daycare where all of the dogs run around together and are not caged. All my dogs would do is sit together in the corner; meaning they were scared. Now we have a dog walker that comes to our place and take them out and feed them. It is so much better because the dogs get to stay in their own environment. One of our annual vacations is a trip to my home town in rural Michigan so the dogs go with us for that.

A yooper ehy.

rct

I am with Rabs and rct on this.

Over the years, when my dogs can no longer live a life free of pain and indignity, and we have done all we can to help them be comfortable, we go in with them to the Vets and hold them and tell them we love them. The first injection makes them drowsy and comfortable, and the second sends them off to sleep.

The last sounds they hear are our voices, and the final sensations they know are our loving touch and a blissful absence of pain.

It's always hard, it's always heart-breaking, but we all know the drill; it's what we sign-on for whenever we take on a new puppy or kitty.

[crying]

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Guitar God, I am sorry for the loss of your pet.

I enjoy talking about guitars, never get tired of the conversations or the activities, but I love talking about my pets. I'm glad were share the interest in music, but I cannot understand people who are so emotionally stunted that they unable to understand the depth of commitment and emotion that dogs evoke. I lost my my babies two years ago in February. Foxy fought a long battle with cancer, and Ladybug had to be put to sleep.

I did not want to do this, but she was still crying after the vet gave her a powerful sedative… I still miss my babies…

I have had a lot of dogs, for which I will always be grateful. but I'm trying to remember -it's about guitars, for cryin'-out-loud. But I have to say that my dogs have helped me through several times of severe personal crisis. I believe those little fur-balls are real angels. Funny thing, I have observed how the dogs helped my parents through their long, trying illness - Dad with emphysema, and Mom with bone cancer. In the middle of caring for my parents, I had a stroke. We had to get home heath care for my parents; I lost my job and income. After my parents passed I had enough money to cover my expenses, but I just couldn't ask my friends to pay for my entertainment; I lived like a hermit for a couple of years. I had fallen into a massive depression… about that time, I took in two rescue dogs…

And in my long recovery from a stroke, my dogs worked their magic on me. I still don't have a good explanation for how a couple of dumb dogs, who couldn't open cans, who couldn't fix their own spaghetti or sandwiches, who couldn't fill their water bowls, who couldn't stay out of trouble while I was away…

Okay I've seen it from both sides now, and I couldn't really describe how they helped.

It matters not if they have no degree in psychology, Maybe they are so dear because they alway are ready for a romp; they are always ready to share a snack or a slow afternoon of TV. And it is always an enthusiastic commitment to whatever the activity. No matter what you say or do, dogs never roll their eyes to show what a lame idiot they think you are. Imagine if your family members always always always did an an excited little welcoming dance as you entered your house --- even if was only because you returned after a few moments to retrieve something you forgot.

No doctor cured my sorrows; it was all my dogs. They healed me, all I did was give them a home. My house will always have dogs.

Lost a Corgie to cancer in 2010. Still hurts. I have 3 dogs now but none had the personality of that Corgie.

It hurt me more when that dog died than when either of my parents died or my sister. I read where this is not uncommon because a pet can share more of our lives and our time than people can. My Corgie liked to bring me my shoe every morning. Every morning.

We had a fabulous few days up at Isle Royale, couple days in Copper Harbor, and a really nice drive down the state through some of the great architecture of Detroit and out.

rct

I was just being silly, C.O.

I love cats, and all animals.

It was just an attempt at humor.

[crying]

On the first sentence I was joking too, I thought that respect the pu$$ys would be funny.

I am a pu$$y lover!

The second part is sadly what I think, and this was a bit off in context.

So don't worry all good.

DSCF0816.jpg

I lost the love of my life two years ago. It makes me want to cry when I look at her photos.

She was a stray that I rehomed and whether it was the fact that I saved her, but she was my soulmate. I have two others now, but they don't come close.

I do hope that we meet again one day. My Ellie (jellybean). R.I.P with a tear in my eye.

• Like 1