Gibson Brands Forums

Thursday Song

Buc McMaster

Well........ Haven't had the guitar for 24 hours yet, the fingers are very sore and my chording accuracy isn't up to snuff yet but here we go, warts & all. Just restrung with DR Sunbeam lights, strumming with the Gibson pick that came with the instrument.........don't have anything else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M1JmxOBUHw

That was a very enjoyable listen.

I love the tempo you use on this one, it really elevates the song, and your humming might be my favorite part.

Edit: When I say humming, I mean those "oohs" you do, not the bird. Although that's also great.

Yes, from the 1972 Harvest album. This tune is typical of Neil's playing, with a ka-chunking rhythm style with a few odd chords to create tonal variety with the key (A9, D6/A, Amaj7, Esus4 and Dmaj7/A in this one, and I don't claim to have executed them all in this take!). He was and is one of the master tunesmiths of the era. I have the guitar tuned down a half step to make it a little easier on my whimpy fingertips.........I'd forgotten how tender these get until they get "leatherized". Thanks for watching......I hope to get better!

Hooooh hooooh hooooh, , , the surprise of the day. Very enjoyable on all levels. Maybe apart from the distorted recording. Maybe it's done with the uke positions.

But the guitar (and voice) sound real fine.

You - as the experienced guitar-keeper you are - should write us a review and tell us what we already hear.

Good to have U back behind 6. Those 16's are ^ can't wait to try the Bird version live.

Congratulevitations

Nice! Your quicker tempo version makes it sound more cheerful than usual. Have you seen the German documentary film 'Swing in with Neil Young' from around the 'Harvest' period? It has a cool clip of Neil playing 'Out on the Weekend' on his 6 string banjo at his ranch. I wish they would release that film properly. A great insight into his life during the early 70's.

How about an acoustic version of 'Albuquerque' from Tonight's the Night? [smile]

Very nice, Buc. You and the guitar are a perfect fit. Doesn't sound like you've been away from it at all.....Now, if those fingers hadn't lost those callouses from all that time with the uke strings....lol....Have fun and welcome back to the big ukes.

How about an acoustic version of 'Albuquerque' from Tonight's the Night?

Hey I got that one in the archive.

It's a warm-up track from my young days recorded without my knowledge. The engineer sent it to me 5-6 years ago. It was like travelling far back in time.

A bit over-done perhaps - and 1 lyrical switch, , , but there definitely is a lust for song ;-)

https://soundcloud.c...ach/albuquerque

Will look out for that film. Sounds exciting.

Buc, that sounds fantastic. One of the best I have heard of a man and a guitar. Your singing is great and the guitar sounds great. Very nice strumming action. Is that 'regular' Humminbird or a special model or what? I don't know every model. Whatever it is, it sounds great. Is it brand new or an older guitar? NEVER MIND... I saw a thread where it says it's a 2016 Humminbird Vintage. I like the look very much and I already said it sounds great!

Why did you quit playing guitar for a ukelele? Just curious.

Why did you quit playing guitar for a ukelele? Just curious.

Damned if I know. Really. Bought a ukulele, liked how compact and comfy it was to play and soon learned I could play tunes on it that I could never play on guitar. Never was and never will be much of a player but I do love to sing and the uke was a better vehicle for that purpose. That's the best excuse I can come up with! The 2016 Hummingbird Vintage has intrigued me since it was released and I told myself if they made them left handed I'd take a hard look at one.........and here I am again. Thanks for watching! I appreciate the love!

Hey I got that one in the archive.

It's a warm-up track from my young days recorded without my knowledge. The engineer sent it to me 5-6 years ago. It was like travelling far back in time.

A bit over-done perhaps - and 1 lyrical switch, , , but there definitely is a lust for song ;-)

https://soundcloud.c...ach/albuquerque

Will look out for that film. Sounds exciting.

Hey. Thanks for posting your version of Albuquerque, it sounds great. Really nice vibe to the song.

The film I mentioned you can find part of on YouTube, but it was on Vimeo in complete form last year - then disappeared sadly. Maybe copyright infringement? Anyway here's part of it with Out on the Weekend on banjo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVA8CLSqMWM

Some of the performance footage from the Shakespeare theatre was used on the Massey Hall DVD, but with audio from Massey over the top. Hope you enjoy the link.

Archived