Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ksdaddy

I got a free Corolla last night

Dude!

Swear to God.

I telework on Friday so at 7:30 I'm still in my bathrobe sipping coffee. Penny left for work and immediately came back inside and said someone smashed into one of our garbage cans. I stumbled out in my bare feet to check it out. I then saw the street sign in a heap on the lawn and the tracks continuing.

THE CAR WAS RIGHT THERE.

The morning sun, the tree line, the shadows....I was looking right at it and didn't see it. I took a shower and got dressed, walked out to try to figure out what happened and THEN saw the car on it's side.

I froze. I'm not proud if it but I couldn't bring myself to see if there were bodies inside.

The police came and confirmed there was nobody in it but they also walked the yard, tall grass, woods, neighbors' yards, just to be sure. The wrecker took it away. Turns out to have been stolen, so I won't get a bit of help fixing the lawn.

Yeah, but $1000 deductible. Ain't happening. I can clean up the sore spots good enough. I've got a trailer full of loam hooked up to the Farmall.

Guest Farnsbarns

Bloody hell. I know your American cars don't corner [biggrin] but a Jap? That's not even a bend! And to get that distance from the point of loosing it? They must have been just about flat out.

Is it normal to have negative camber through bends there? I notice it has a slight run out to the exit of the corner.

Wow! That was quite a wreck! Can't believe they walked away from that. What a scene to wake up to.

That's not even a bend! And to get that distance from the point of loosing it? They must have been just about flat out.

Is it normal to have negative camber through bends there? I notice it has a slight run out to the exit of the corner.

Not knowing anything about this, but seeing the "scene" I'm thinking one of two (okay 3) things:

Totally wasted OR

Asleep at the wheel OR

Combination of both.

If they just took off, I have to guess drugs and or alcohol were involved.

Or, maybe they were terrorist on their way to a gig.............

There is a song in this story.... [thumbup]

Either psychedelic fantasy

Or 'Sideways Blues'

We await the clip

And we are getting restless... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Hello, Fellow Babies,

and Wow, man, ksdaddy,

Got no doubts the driver was traveling at his top speed. Looks like they may have plowed through some saplings and then flipped. I'm surprised they walked away...

Reminds me of a visit to a friend living on a stretch of k68 between Louisburg and Ottawa. Wow. Really rural, miles of rolling hills, warehouses and farms, mail boxes sitting along the road with street address, on average in two inch letters. Well, the catch is that is a really, really narrow, secondary truck route with an unbelievable speed limit… I'm not the tough, eagle-eyed Iron man of my youth… I had to stop my motorcycle within about five feet before before I could make out was that 660xx or 660xx? In the meantime I'd cringe with my tail between my legs, expecting an eighteen-wheeler to pop outta the last dip barreling down on me at 75! If that is the average speed on ruralhighways in Kansas, I'd expect that they might be moving a little faster on a joyride with a stolen car. But a Corolla? must have been desperate...

Back on the ranch off highway 50 in El Dorado, Calif., one of my sisters-in-law had a Corolla. At the time it seemed to me Corolla was trying to build an SUV on a car frame and suspension. Never liked driving it,and I just didn't think a Corolla had that kinda speed. Funny thing though, the Ford pickup was never available when we needed to transport any of the small animals to the vet. My brother joked that he finally had to get rid of his Civic because he just couldn't stand the avalanche of little round balls of sheep dung that came crashing to the front when he had to stop.

My you have a big garden! You sure thats the only car wreck you have in the scrub.?g

Garden? I wonder if this is a USA/UK thing. You mean my lawn? Yeah, three acres. Lovely to mow. My wife and I each have riding lawn mowers and it still takes a few hours.

When we bought the house, only an acre had been mowed. He would hire a tractor with a brush cutter to cut the rest of it once a year or so. I took it as a challenge to mow it all....and I've won so far.

Garden? I wonder if this is a USA/UK thing. You mean my lawn? Yeah, three acres. Lovely to mow. My wife and I each have riding lawn mowers and it still takes a few hours.

When we bought the house, only an acre had been mowed. He would hire a tractor with a brush cutter to cut the rest of it once a year or so. I took it as a challenge to mow it all....and I've won so far.

I think you've translated it correctly Scott. I wonder what they call that plot of land where they grow veggies and their flowers?

I love to mow too. Not nearly an acre. What do you mow with? I picked up a Simplicity 5212.5. I installed a new set of drive belts this spring. She works like a champ. A finicky starter, but for 300 bucks .... oops, wrong forum.

When we bought the house in 2012 we also bought their immaculate 2008 Toro...not sure of the model, but it's 22 hp and 46" cut. I have beat it like a rented mule. It's not immaculate anymore. Immediately after that, I was presented a chance to get a John Deere, a smaller machine, 12.5 HP/38" for $200 because it needed a starter. The seller demonstrated how he had to whack the starter with a hammer or similar large weapon while holding the key in the start position. He said a new starter was around $80. I never did buy one. I just keep a claw hammer hanging on a nail in the shed.

Typically my wife does the large areas, as she likes to pop in her earphones and just go on autopilot. I use the little JD and go around the house, trees, moving all the damn cars so I can mow under them, etc.

....moving all the damn cars so I can mow under them, etc.

Yeah, it looks like you really didn't need another vehicle on the property. #-o

Yeah, it looks like you really didn't need another vehicle on the property. #-o

I'm down to 7.

Attrition only works if you allow them to die.

I wonder what they call that plot of land where they grow veggies and their flowers?

It is a garden, yes. Vegetable gardens, flower gardens, even rock or water gardens.... [smile]

The lawn is the mostly level bit with the grass on....and part of a garden. [wink]

On 7/5/2016 at 11:16 PM, TommyK said:

I think you've translated it correctly Scott. I wonder what they call that plot of land where they grow veggies and their flowers?

I love to mow too. Not nearly an acre. What do you mow with? I picked up a Simplicity 5212.5. I installed a new set of drive belts this spring. She works like a champ. A finicky starter, but for 300 bucks .... oops, wrong forum.

wow!  Has it been 3 years?  Changing jobs makes it harder to keep up with all the forums.     Update on the 5215.5.  Swapped out the armature, for an updated one.  Mildly helpful.  THe aramature comes part and parcel with two spark plug wires.  But, still a finiky starter.  When I picked up the Armature from my favoroite Lawn and Garden repair and parts shop, the parts guy asked, "Did you try removing the ground wire?"  I said no and asked for details.  He mumbled something and avoided a direct answer that might make me a better Briggs mechanic.  THen I got to thinking there is a small 22guage, I guess wire coming out of the armature that screws to the case... a ground.  Interestingly, it is a wire with a spade terminal that slides onto a mating spade and ring terminal  The ring is screwed to the case.  It is a quick disconnect. ... brilliant, I thought.  When the new armature didn't help immensely, I pulled the little ground wire off and  she fired right up!  Diagnosis, bad switch, the installation of which is another harrowing story!  Since then a set of new steering tires, and a new crank shaft seal.  This fall she gets a new set of rear skins.