Gibson Brands Forums

Baseball

showmetheway

Glad you enjoyed yourself, but for me, I just don't get it. Other than a stadium hot dog and beer, some BS with an old friend or 2, I couldn't care less about what is or isn't going on out on the field. I know that I'm missing a mental part of the game, but it's just soooooooo sloooooowwwww. It makes golf look fast, and don't even get me started there LOL.

Hello, Fellow Babies,

showmetheway, I enjoy watching baseball. And it doesn't have to major league.

When I was a kid my dad used to take us to some of the games that the enlisted men from the fleet played against teams from other ships, squadrons, or bases.

After the game was over, everybody sat around for a picnic with hotdogs, potato chips, and soda. I know the adults had beer and steaks. But the cool thing about the adults of my childhood was that they all had a sense of propriety. A few people overdid the beer, but nobody drank until their *** fell off. It was all fun, and kids were welcome.

I see I'm wondering away from the specifics, but, hey, showmentheway, you have lived up to your moniker… you reminded me of a part of my childhood I haven't thought of in years. The Navy was a big, friendly family; and I have nothing but good memories of living on base. In fact, another thing I had forgotten, when I was afraid of monsters under my bed and in the closet, my dad made a special point of taking me to all the gates with Marines and Federal Police; and he would ask me, "How is a monster gonna get through that?"

Dennis G, I got to agree with you there. I've lived next to a golf course for years -- I now the players are skilled, I know there're getting their exorcise, but a "sport"?! Now if there were venders selling stadium dogs and beer along the fairways, then they would have me. I mean I can participate in that all day long. I'm at my best, the most sociable, able to swap stories and tell jokes into the wee hours, with hot dogs, chips, maybe a beer, and lots of icey soda pop.

Congrats on your first MLB game. I watched that game on TV and wondered when it would end. �� I'm a big baseball fan and watch 10-15 games a week. And before I retired and traveled a lot on business, I made a point of going to games in cities I was visiting and have seen games in numerous stadiums. I live an equal distance from Dallas and Houston. And while I tend to support the Texas Rangers a bit more, I would probably prefer attending an Astros game simply because Minute Maid Park with its retractable dome is much more comfortable in the heat of the summer, not to mention the Cincinnati dogs...yum! My wife and I will be visiting family in the L.A. area in the future, and if it's during baseball season, I want to take in a Angels and/or Dodgers game while I'm there so I can add it/them to my list.

1467507468[/url]' post='1781820']

Glad you enjoyed yourself, but for me, I just don't get it. Other than a stadium hot dog and beer, some BS with an old friend or 2, I couldn't care less about what is or isn't going on out on the field. I know that I'm missing a mental part of the game, but it's just soooooooo sloooooowwwww. It makes golf look fast, and don't even get me started there LOL.

Congrats on your game and I'm with Dennis. We have the college World Series here in Omaha every year but the wife and I have only attended one game a few years back. I'm just not into baseball. However we do go to the Homerun Derby each year and watch the fireworks afterwards.

Huge fan. Been to Wrigley, there's nothing like it.

Americas game.

The Cubs are in a slump, but still way out front in the NL Central.

I'm a Football fan as well.....

Went to see the Jays and the Indians yesterday and it was pretty cool.

We hung in till the end of the 15th inning,and got home in time to watch

the end at home.My wife loves baseball and I can see why.

You got to see a pretty historic game. I tuned in at the end when I heard it was 1 to 1 in the 18th inning! Was glad Cleveland finally won because the Blue Jays are in my teams (Orioles) division.

I love watching baseball. On TV or at the park. Yeah, it can be slow. Especially in today's instant gratification type world. But I love all the nuances and strategy that goes into every pitch. Plus I can watch it casually and not have to be glued to every second of the game. Unless you're at the park and sitting along the 1st or 3rd base lines. Then you'd better pay attention to every pitch because a screaming foul ball could take your head off. [scared]

[thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm glad you had a good time. That's a looonnngg game!

We go to lots of minor league games around here. The Kingsport Mets are my team and they're getting clobbered so far this season. The Greeneville Astros have a really nice new ballpark and the Johnson City Cardinals have made a bunch of improvements on their park.

...Other than a stadium hot dog and beer...

Well, of course that's part of it!

I couldn't care less about what is or isn't going on out on the field.

Man, you better keep a heads up for those foul balls! They can come at you pretty fast! I've got half a dozen of 'em myself - 2 game balls and several from batting practice...

.I know that I'm missing a mental part of the game, but it's just soooooooo sloooooowwwww.

Well yeah, it's not ice hockey (my favorite spectator sport). Still, there's a lot going on. Look at that 3rd base coach giving signs to the batter. That's a readable code??

.It makes golf look fast, and don't even get me started there LOL.

Wait a minute. Those guys are good! [thumbup]

Look at that 3rd base coach giving signs to the batter. That's a readable code??

The signals aren't too complicated. The coach gives a bunch of signals and when he gives the "indicator" signal - a prearranged signal like say touching his belt - then the next signal after the indicator is the actual signal for what the guy is supposed to do. Like say the guy is supposed to bunt and the signal for bunt is to touch his ear. So the coach gives a bunch of random bogus signals and then touches his belt (the indicator) and then touches his ear (the bunt signal) and then gives some more bogus signals.

[thumbup]

The signals aren't too complicated. The coach gives a bunch of signals and when he gives the "indicator" signal - a prearranged signal like say touching his belt - then the next signal after the indicator is the actual signal for what the guy is supposed to do.

Right. And the indicator is likely to change every 3 innings....

Man, the first time I walked into Dodger Stadium as a kid, I was so blown away. What a field!

I got to go to one pro game a long time ago in Minnesota. The dome was pretty neat. Never could figure out 'Who Was On Second.' Lol

Ahh. The infamous Hubert H. Humphrey "Metro Joke" or "Dumb Dome" or any number of other less than flattering names. I grew up in the Twin Cities and attended several games at the old Metroplitan Stadium. A great place to watch a game. The dome left a lot of us scratching our heads. Anyway, if I make it back up there again during baseball season, I would love to take in a game at Target Field.

Ahh. The infamous Hubert H. Humphrey "Metro Joke" or "Dumb Dome" or any number of other less than flattering names. I grew up in the Twin Cities and attended several games at the old Metroplitan Stadium. A great place to watch a game. The dome left a lot of us scratching our heads. Anyway, if I make it back up there again during baseball season, I would love to take in a game at Target Field.

I like the fact that Camden Yards, aside from being one of the nicest parks in MLB, didn't name it after some corporate sponsor. There's plenty other advertising around the stadium to make money.

The other stadium I'd love to visit some time, even though it has a corporate name :rolleyes: , is A T @ T Park in San Francisco.

The first time I walked into Wrigley and saw the grass, it took my breath away.

The history of that place, and legendary players to have played there over the years boggles the mind.

Babe's called shot happened there.....

The history of that place, and legendary players to have played there over the years boggles the mind.

I can imagine. thats one Stadium I haven't made it to yet. I hope to some day. Thats how it was for me when I saw a game at the old Yankee stadium years ago. I spent the majority of the game just looking around. looking at the buildings. people sat on those roof tops watching Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Berra, Mantle, Whitey Ford ... list goes on.

I like the fact that Camden Yards, aside from being one of the nicest parks in MLB, didn't name it after some corporate sponsor. There's plenty other advertising around the stadium to make money.

The other stadium I'd love to visit some time, even though it has a corporate name :rolleyes: , is A T @ T Park in San Francisco.

Camden Yards is a beautiful stadium.

I was in Chicago on business several years ago during baseball season. I have always wanted to see a game at Wrigley Field, so the first thing I did was check to see if the Cubs were on a home stand. No such luck. But the White Sox were in town so we rode the subway down to Comiskey Park. Still a great time.

Archived