Gibson Brands Forums

Calluses?

Buc McMaster

I'm sure you all will understand the need to play, particularly when the guitar still has the new on it! I could not bear to look at the thing laying in the case while I nursed a blister, so I found a compromise.........three layers of painters tape! And since this seemed to work after a fashion, I set about trying to knock out this Neil Young tune. Never been one to mess with alternate tunings nor to sing in a screaming falsetto voice, but this song requires both to sound right. Tried singing it an octave lower........just doesn't sound right at all. Seems best to make a run at this one early in the day and not more than twice as beyond that it's a lost cause to hit that high register. There are a few vocal clunkers in here but I'm not going to get it any better. And it's time to get back to standard tuning.....

So, with a taped up blister and in my best whiney voice, here's the second take of my favorite Neil Young song.............warts & all. [unsure]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGwiU04x4lM

(original video was a bit overdriven; re-edited and fixed)

Wow, that edited version much better. First version almost blew out the monitors. How did you fix that? I've got the opposite problem, with the level coming out much lower than others- Apogee mic in the green occasionally coming into the yellow level.

Is that the CGCFAC tuning as shown in that SongX site (thx, BK7 & BBG) ? The Hummingbird sounds like it was made for that.

Nice job. Now go hydrate those vocal chords.

A good "Neil" song. Definitely a good rendition, especially when you consider the challenges of using the falsetto voice. I just don't have Buc's vocal range. This is far better than what I could have done on this song. I like a lot of Neil's music, but I can't come close to it if I try to sing falsetto.....and the guitar is magnificent.

Thanks for watching, folks!

Yes, it is in the original "dropped C" tuning. I figured it out from watching a live Young performance of the tune on YouTube, then it was confirmed by the SongX site. And yes, the guitar sounds quite good in this low tuning, very gutteral, warm and sustaining. There's a little fret rattle here and there from bashing some of the chords but that's to be expected with the strings so slack. And the Hummingbird really shows it's true colors in the sunlight - the red jumps out nicely. I'm very happy with this one and look forward to playing it without tape on my finger soon!

Calusses ? , , , is a good topic, , , we haven't really touched before.

Yes, remember the first calusses and how they both surprised and generated the feeling you were now actually a guitar-player.

Callusses = Pride

They came with the territory and suddenly were a part of you. And no real problem connected to those small hidden scars out there on the tips - certainly not compared to the longer fingernails, which soon grew strangely from the right hand and made you be cautious in a very un-masculine way, besides sent a strange signal over the gender-divide. Have to say they never inhibited me personally though, , , not as I know of anyway. Luckily the chicks could take it.

But callusses and hardened micro-skin-pillows - a part of pack. Soften by shower (which I experience as I write), but tough before you can spell the word handkerchief

You should enjoy them, Buc - they tell you are back in the heavy league hehe, , , next will be that the playing gets so intense you get a hoarse throat from singing. .

Only now get through to the Neil-track - excellent song, , , and you make a good job again

The stribery is of course a hit

Good god man

The long lost bee gee !

Excellent job. What a great song that is. Used to be one of my favourites to play when I went through the whole discovering Neil Young chapter . I was awful at singing it but was only me and a dog to hear it and I like the song so much I didn't care

Tried to do it in standard tuning , but it just seemed to lose something without those big fat buzzy strings tuned down

Bravo buc.

Buc, sounds nice! What's it called? Can't say I know it......

I have developed my thumb callus by doing a lot of strumming tunes with just my thumb and index finger for 'up'. Won't do water work without rubber gloves etc..etc The other week, I got a little cut on the thumb and the bandaid were strange and melted in water over a few hours and...evil...softened my thumb callous. I had no idea til I did a blues 'hit' on the 6th string and my eyes are still watering, but callous has gone hard again. Weird, weird things. Why thumbpicks were invented for gigging......

BluesKing777.

Tried to do it in standard tuning , but it just seemed to lose something without those big fat buzzy strings tuned down

Yeah, it can be played in standard tuning with "standard" chords but indeed it loses a lot in the translation. I listened to this again last night and have come to a decision: no more falsetto singing for me..........a Bee Gee I'll not be! [biggrin] Thanks, Grunt!

Archived