Gibson Brands Forums

Time to Restring

SCTX_Hacker

This may sound like a strange question, but here goes anyway:

I have a Southern Jumbo Modern Classic that I purchased in December from Sweetwater and it is about time to change the strings. I have done this many times on old guitars that I had little regard for, but this things sounds so good I don't want to screw it up.! I was wondering if there are any precautions that you folks recommend based on experience or past issues. I am not looking to change the setup at all, and that is really what I want to avoid.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I suspect that you'll be fine. You've done the process before, and there's not much potential for screwing up. Tips? About all I can say is do it when you're sober and wear glasses if you need 'em!

1467750354[/url]' post='1782495']

This may sound like a strange question, but here goes anyway:

I have a Southern Jumbo Modern Classic that I purchased in December from Sweetwater and it is about time to change the strings. I have done this many times on old guitars that I had little regard for, but this things sounds so good I don't want to screw it up.! I was wondering if there are any precautions that you folks recommend based on experience or past issues. I am not looking to change the setup at all, and that is really what I want to avoid.

Any feedback is appreciated.

As it sounds good and your happy I'd change the strings like for like i.e. same gauge and tension so your set up isn't affected . Me I change mine one string at a time

Yep. Stay with the same gauge and your setup should be fine. Removing all the strings at once does no harm, nor does changing them one at a time. For me it's always been easier to take 'em all off at once and start fresh but everyone has their own thinking on this.

Piece of cake.

I do mine one at a time, she's getting old though.

Just be sure when you put the string end through the bridge, to slide the pin until there is a slight resistance, then give the string a good yank up until you feel it seat under the bridge before you continue shoving the pin on down.

I kind of yank and shove at the same time.

<_<

Yeah, I do mine all at once - so I can clean the fretboard real well. But I loosen them half way the day before to gradually release the tension on the neck.

The yank and shove (also called the jerk and push) method is aimed at getting the ball end of the string to rest against the bridge plate to ensure sound transfer - as well as wedged against the bridge pin. Some people starting out think the little brass ball end of the string is supposed to sit on the end of the bridge pin. NOPE !

Yeah, just go ahead and change them. As we all know, it's not "brain surgery," although years ago it seemed like it for me. If you've got a decent set of strings, the guitar will still sound great. My biggest problem today is losing one of the pins after I remove it.

Archived