Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Gibson J-200 Artist

Slipz14

Was selling my Martin 000 28ec Clapton and a fella offered up a trade for a 1974 Gibson J-200 Artist - I was hoping a member with experience on that model Gibson might share some insight - I'm more a short scale player but am curious on living with a maple jumbo for awhile ... most likely would only keep a short time and then sell so I need to do right on the deal - Anyone have hands on experience with '70's Gibson Acoustic Jumbos ?

z1%20-%20front_zps0ru71hqo.jpg

z2%20-%20back_zpsfbt4ecu6.jpg

The 70s is not a Gibson era that is thought well of.......change in ownership and build specs resulted in guitars many believe to be inferior in construction and tone. However, every instrument is unique and there are exceptions. If you're selling anyway, I'd stick with the Martin you have........probably an easier sell to those in the know as Gibson acoustics from that period are generally shunned by the same.

Last time I checked a good condition used 000-28EC is worth a lot more than any '70s Gibson acoustic. Not going to disagree with the general wisdom regarding '70s Gibsons - However, if the guitar happens to be one of the exceptions, sounds very good etc and you like it, then he can throw in some cash to make the deal more even.

By all means run away from this era Gibson. Just the choice of the side and back woods tells me everything I need to know.

That's subjective. That's from the same batch of Sycamore that was used in the early Bozeman days and some claim it to have some mystical quality. Others have said that was b.s. I've heard both opinions from more than one credible source.

I believe that was from a massive 70s Norlin purchase of wood from a tennis racket company. It was used in Kalamazoo, then what was left was shipped to Nashville for their maple guitars of the 80s, then the leftovers sent to Bozeman. It would have been used on most of the early J200s, J100s, etc.

As to the swap...I don't know. I know 70s Gibson acoustics are much maligned but I hesitate to pass judgement. I know design-wise, there were attributes that I disagreed with....but I would spend a little time with the guitar anyway, just to base my opinion on it's merit as a playable instrument.

I think Gibson may reissue that fine example of Guitar to fit in with there current models.. But maybe Bozeman could do better on the double X brace.. :rolleyes:

I realize you jest. I've done more than my fair share of criticizing '70s Gibson's, and my position isn't likely to change. You raise on interesting thought, however, that pops into my mind from time to time. The luthier I patronized for many years was a former Gibson employee who spent part of his tenure during the Norlin regime. When Gibson liquidated the Kalamazoo facility, he had the chance to purchase several unassembled Norlin guitars which he later put together, finished, and sold. They were simply outstanding instruments, and I fully expected the total opposite. Now, the thing is that they weren't vastly different from standard specs, but we're built with attention to what would make those specs perform properly. A little tweaking through the entire process apparently paid off, but Norlin wanted corners to be cut, production to be outrageously rapid, and inspired more than a few employees to be less than conscientious in their work. So, ironically, maybe Montana could be capable of producing a better line of 70s reissues. Question, of course, is why they'd try in the first place!

That's subjective. That's from the same batch of Sycamore that was used in the early Bozeman days and some claim it to have some mystical quality. Others have said that was b.s. I've heard both opinions from more than one credible source.

I believe that was from a massive 70s Norlin purchase of wood from a tennis racket company. It was used in Kalamazoo, then what was left was shipped to Nashville for their maple guitars of the 80s, then the leftovers sent to Bozeman. It would have been used on most of the early J200s, J100s, etc.

As to the swap...I don't know. I know 70s Gibson acoustics are much maligned but I hesitate to pass judgement. I know design-wise, there were attributes that I disagreed with....but I would spend a little time with the guitar anyway, just to base my opinion on it's merit as a playable instrument.

It is ALL subjective ks. I don't have the instrument in my hands. But I'm willing to bet it is heavily braced. Just a guess based on owning a 70's Norlin built Gibson acoustic that totally sucked.

Archived