Gibson Brands Forums

When Horses Run

Buc McMaster

A rather vaguely worded original tune about......well.......pick your own poison on this one. Hurl vegetables, make cat calls......I'm pretty much bulletproof. Lyrics are on the YouTube page if you're interested..........

Changed the strings to the Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 lights that came with it. The guitar was sounding a bit dark and the Sunbeams don't seem to intonate well on this particular instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biKb9194EyE

Thanks for the Sunday AM treat. I've always thought that songwriting is the most difficult thing done by pickers and such. Good on ya for posting your own work. String change certainly made a difference. I liked the darker sound but the new strings still had some jingle and will probably mellow soon. Thanks for posting and so glad to be able to listen to you and HB again.

Smooth as silk Buc, just lovelly. Would be a great camp fire song on a hot Texan evening. Youre qutie the crooner, arent you [cool]

As much as I dislike thick picks i totally undrestand why you prefer them, as that individual note picking really shines when you hit those base notes and even the higher ones, its suits your particular style of playing real.

Well done cowboy.

Simply great, as usual, Buc.

If you're searching for the "right" strings, I'd suggest Elixir HD Light 80/20's for your Bird. When I read your post about a heavier B and high E string on the set of Sunbeams, which you didn't like, I thought of the Elixirs. I've always used Elixir 80/20's on my HB Vintage and really liked the sound. Tried the Masterbuilts that came with the guitar, on the last string change, and went right back to the Elixirs, the Gibson strings were no where near as deep and rich sounding. Since you seem to like the bigger high E and B strings, the Elixir HD's might be perfect for you.

Thanks for watching, folks!

To this point I think I like the 80/20s better than PB on this guitar, which has not been the case in the past. Might try the Elixir set, Joe. Never cared much for coated strings but I might learn something new........ Not sure why the mix is as as it is. Just have the stereo mic on the desktop in front of me as always. Maybe I'm just a loudmouth today! Mark, I have to ask: why would we be sitting around a campfire on a hot Texas evening?!?! Lordy it's hot enough down here as it is! [flapper]

Thanks for the comments........I appreciate you people!

You are all quite kind........thank you! [blush] The shirt is one of the wife's favorites; she'll be happy to hear it's appreciated elsewhere! I've never been successful with fingerpicking so the pick and the use thereof is the foundation of my playing style.......which is why which pick I use is so important to me, nearly to the point of OCD......but not quite. And thank you Kid! I do strive for "clean and strong" with my voice and sometimes it actually works out!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! I am once more honored to be amongst you people! O:)

Very nice Buc,if I could ask a question about one line in the song.

" When the tide has turned to shore "

Is this an expression you have heard, describing a rising tide.

I enjoy sayings that are not usually heard by me.

IN other words saying it in a different way

" When the tide has turned to shore "

Is this an expression you have heard, describing a rising tide.

Well thanks for asking, Phil. No, I've not heard that phrase used to describe a rising tide (though someone may have uttered it somewhere). And therein is the challenge I find in songwriting: find new and different ways to say things..........some combination of words that is more than just conversational; describing ordinary people, places or things with a unique mix of words that still paint an accurate picture of the idea that is easily understood. For my money this makes for better songwriting. In my process, every single word is labored over, every line re-written until, in my mind, what I'm trying to convey cannot be improved upon. As important is the economy of words: use as few words as possible at all times, keeping in mind that the meter must remain correct, which can sometimes be accommodated within the melody. And the rhyming scheme must always be considered as well...........

It's bringing all these things together that makes for good songwriting. I don't always hit that mark with my efforts.........but sometimes I feel I do. Thank you for hearing that line as it was intended! [thumbup]

Archived