Gibson Brands Forums

Is is madness...

harmonicchaos

to like/want a marshall JVM mostly/just for its clean channel? Or have I been sniffing my guitar's paint smell too long?

I was shocked with how good it sounded! It was crisp and defined but not too shrill. This may be heresy but I think I liked it better than some fender cleans I've tried!

I've never really tried out a Marshall mostly due to the fact that it was known for it's good distortion and crunch tones. I'm a fuzz person myself so that never appealed to me.

Just thought I'd share that for some reason...

Marshall amps are like really good stereo amps, can amplify the signal very cleanly. To cause them to go into natural overdrive was to make ones ears bleed becasue they had to be turned up so high. Not everyone, like Ritchie Blackmore, cared for the sound. Guitarist would feed an amp they liked, like a VOX AC30, into the marshall just to get a nice clean volume boost, one that would not also color their sound.

Lesse, I was going somewhere with this .... anyway, cool find!

Marshall amps are like really good stereo amps' date=' can amplify the signal very cleanly. To cause them to go into natural overdrive was to make ones ears bleed becasue they had to be turned up so high. Not everyone, like Ritchie Blackmore, cared for the sound. Guitarist would feed an amp they liked, like a VOX AC30, into the marshall just to get a nice clean volume boost, one that would not also color their sound.

Lesse, I was going somewhere with this .... anyway, cool find!

[/quote']

I may be a big fan of good stereo amps then... I am a big clean headroom person... Like fuzz pedals too much to want to use most amps overdrive/distortion.

Go for a marshall MG series. Lovely clean tone. Crisp and Sharp. I own one myself. The distortion channel is quite good' date=' but it isn't world class.[/quote']

Probably nice amps but I'm a tube-amp person myself. And I'm also almost positive that I'm going with a bass amp once I've got the $$$. Love the sound of a guitar through a good ol' bass amp and i won't have to buy another amp for playing bass. Win-win for me.

My Marshall JTM30 has the cleanest cleans of any Marshall I've ever tried...it's filled with 6L6WGC power tubes. Most Marshalls are not known for their cleans, however the early Marshalls were copies of the Fender '59 Bassman and produced great cleans. EL34 equipped Marshalls are not known for clean headroom as the EL34's break up earlier than 5881s/6L6s.

My .02

I personally don't like the JVM series because it has 12 channels. Way too many for me. Give me a good old 2-channel JCM 2000 any day and I'm a happy camper. If you're going to buy an amp only for its clean channel I'd recommend Orange.

I agree with the 12 channels. I personally prefer a more stripped down kind of amp. 2 to 4 channels are more than adequate for me. I actually really only need one (a clean one) channel. I'm a pedal person, like getting my fuzz from a little metal box.

Wow, i'd gotten the connotation that Orange amps were a very distortion and crunch friendly amp. Never thought they were supposed to even really have very much of a clean channel let alone have a good one. I'm going to have to look in to them... i know they're a bit on the expensive side though.

I heard about the thunderverb... Love the idea, need to go youtube 'em.

Archived