Gibson Brands Forums

For the J-35 owners out there....

dhanners623

Was once a long-time J-45 owner but sold mine in '14 before moving abroad. Since then, I've satisfied my slope-shoulder jones with a fine Epiphone IB'64 Texan, but I'm getting a hankering for a short-scale slope-shoulder. Was thinking of a J-35.

So for those of you who have one, what is your consensus? Good value? Issues? Have you been pleased with it? Where can I get the best deal on one?

Any insights/guidance would be appreciated...,

Value is irrelevant. If you like how it sounds and are fine paying the price they're asking, then it's a good value. I like the J35's, but with that said would take a J45 over one any day of the week, but if I saw one used for a killer deal and it sounded good I'd most likely buy it.

I had one. Bought it used for 1K. Twas a good deal and a great value (even at $1500). I sold it later because I have a J50 and the 35 was redundant. Yeah, a J45 might appeal if it's in your budget. If $ is an issue, get on the J35 ,, it's a lot of bang for the bucks. I highly recommend it!

If you are talking about the modern production model, they are a great value. They are braced differently than a J 45 or J 15, so they have a more opened lower bout. There is less of the sweet mids of the standard X braced models and some more boom. I like mine a lot. I can't speak to the vintage J 35's in the post above. I'm sure they are wonderful, but not as easy to find. Also, much more expensive.

If you are talking about the modern production model, they are a great value. They are braced differently than a J 45 or J 15, so they have a more opened lower bout. There is less of the sweet mids of the standard X braced models and some more boom. I like mine a lot. I can't speak to the vintage J 35's in the post above. I'm sure they are wonderful, but not as easy to find. Also, much more expensive.

i have a different feeling. had one way to bright. now i own a american eagle and it has way more of a j45 sound than the j35 did.

Was once a long-time J-45 owner but sold mine in '14 before moving abroad. Since then, I've satisfied my slope-shoulder jones with a fine Epiphone IB'64 Texan, but I'm getting a hankering for a short-scale slope-shoulder. Was thinking of a J-35.

So for those of you who have one, what is your consensus? Good value? Issues? Have you been pleased with it? Where can I get the best deal on one?

Any insights/guidance would be appreciated...,

I've had mine going on 3 years and it is sounding better and better with age. I can't tell you anything about the other models, but for the money, I got my dream acoustic guitar. [biggrin]

Here's another question -- I see online (like at Sweetwater, etc.) where it says it comes strung with lights (.012-.053) and while I would normally ignore that and immediately string it with mediums, like the rest of my guitars, is there something about the J-35 that makes medium strings inadvisible?

Don't know a definite answer to your question, but for myself I might go light-meds at the most. I figure the manufacture put on the best guage of strings for the particular guitar. That said, I won't be surprised if some far-more knowledgeable person suggests that mediums are fine. I typically use lights on all my guitars. Hope you get that J35.

. . . and I, too, don't know too much about why Gibson calls for lights on this guitar- although I have heard that the contemporary J-35's can have a bit of a harsh edge to them. I'm behind the thinking that sometimes we have to back off and lighten up on the string gauge to allow the guitar's voice to be heard. So lights are just fine. But with those Kuwaiti dinars coming in- wouldn't you really rather have a sunburst ; ) ?

Really just checking in here to thank you for sharing your songs from those two albums on your website. There Are No Secrets in This Town has some very strong songs on it. Goosebumps or a chill from it's listeners would not be out of the realm of possibility. For those into things along the lines of Townes, Ray Wylie Hubbard, James McMurtry, etc., it's a must listen. Thanks again.

. . . and I, too, don't know too much about why Gibson calls for lights on this guitar- although I have heard that the contemporary J-35's can have a bit of a harsh edge to them. I'm behind the thinking that sometimes we have to back off and lighten up on the string gauge to allow the guitar's voice to be heard. So lights are just fine. But with those Kuwaiti dinars coming in- wouldn't you really rather have a sunburst ; ) ?

Really just checking in here to thank you for sharing your songs from those two albums on your website. There Are No Secrets in This Town has some very strong songs on it. Goosebumps or a chill from it's listeners would not be out of the realm of possibility. For those into things along the lines of Townes, Ray Wylie Hubbard, James McMurtry, etc., it's a must listen. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. You're too kind.

Yeah, if only I could get some of that Kuwaiti oil money. But I'm just tutoring, so the dinars aren't quite as big. I'm looking for something simple and robust; Kuwait is a harsh environment for guitars, although mine have fared pretty well since I keep them humidified and in the cases when not being played. But we're in the U.S. for the summer, and I'm thinking it might be a good time to buy....

Here's another question -- I see online (like at Sweetwater, etc.) where it says it comes strung with lights (.012-.053) and while I would normally ignore that and immediately string it with mediums, like the rest of my guitars, is there something about the J-35 that makes medium strings inadvisible?

I sometimes use 13s on my slopes, but 12s are my preference, including on my Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue. I don't see any reason any Gibson acoustic couldn't take 13s, though, if that's YOUR prefernce. I believe they're all usually shipped with 12s.

Glad to see you here. Keep us updated on your J-35/new slope search.

Red 333

Also, to those who may never have heard it, I heartily agree with 62burst on dhanners original music. It's excellent.

Archived