Gibson Brands Forums

LP TRADITIONAL OR STANDARD 2016

hoross

OK there u again after owning 3 traditionals and 2 les paul standards from 2015 i wanted to buy a 2016 lp and i am hesitating between the traditional and the les paul standard 2016.

Anyone could help me out here,since i cannot try them unfortunately at any shop in my country which totally sucks,i heard many good things about the traditional of 2016 but heard also good things about standard too?

Also consider the limited-run Classic Plaintop model; saves a few hundred notes as it lacks the more expensive flame maple; comes with '57s in Honey Burst, Ice Tea Burst, or Goldtop.

xxlm_104893-tmpCD41.jpgxxlm_104894-tmp150A.jpgxxlm_104892-tmp39E8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i guess it all depends on what you like, especially as far as pickups, neck profile, auto tuning or regular tuners and so on, best way is to play them and see which sounds and feels best to you.

His OP says this....

Anyone could help me out here,since i cannot try them unfortunately at any shop in my country which totally sucks

OK there u again after owning 3 traditionals and 2 les paul standards from 2015 i wanted to buy a 2016 lp and i am hesitating between the traditional and the les paul standard 2016.

Anyone could help me out here,since i cannot try them unfortunately at any shop in my country which totally sucks,i heard many good things about the traditional of 2016 but heard also good things about standard too?

I like Pesh's suggestion of the Classic Plaintop.

But with 5 already, you already have great experience yourself of Les Pauls. Let the ones you already have serve as your guide. Then use the specs such as this to compare & narrow it down.

Such as this on the trad http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

HOROSS, responds to his threads by posting a new thread.

Wow, I'm not the only one tht noticed it!!!

I really started to think I had some sort of backflash or seeing thing's or something.

Yeah every couple of month's he "need's" another Les Paul and orders one. Everything normal to that point, but then he get's that after purchase insecurity syndrom.....

That leads to a couple of topic's with titles like:

Les Paul This vs. Les Paul That etc.

How many does he own to this day?

Four or five, right?

He shold know what he want's from a Lester by now.

relax dudes im buying almost every year another les paul and sell back the old one from the year or 2 years before thats all.

Im addicted to les pauls and love specially the traditionals and standards,i still think the custom shops are way overpriced so there you go...and yes it is very difficult to find a shop here selling the newest les pauls models so i cannot try them unfortunately.So if u still think im a weirdo then its your problem,ive been a guitarplayer for 26 years now i dont need to receive lessons from anyone.I love playing guitar and rock n roll and nobody will take that away from me,i work hard enough for my living to buy myself guitars.

DUDE I am relaxed, in the end it's your money.

And I think many of us have the same problem, we can't get enough Lester's!

And it's not the only thing we have in common, that is why this nice place attracts us.

We come and share our enthusiasm about guit's & gear.

Nothing wrong with that.

Thing is I, and apparently at least one other member ask ourselfs why all this comparison topics and after purchase insecurity?

You could use your 20+ years vast experience to post comparisons between the Les Paul models you owned and now own, build quality, sound etc.

That would be much more interesting and helpfull than those LP vs. LP topic's.

In the end you are comparing USA line Les Paul's, it's always the same model with subtle differences.

No matter what the truss rod cover or a wheight relief expert says,

it's a Les Paul, end of story.

Maybe Gibson's own fault....

One guitar model, but thousand names for it!

Post whatever you wan't man,

who am I to tell you anything....

Take it as friendly advice if you wan't, from one Gibson enthusiast to another.

yeah

if we want a vintage sound like Knopfler has with his r 9

which one would be the best ?

Give Knopfler a 150 bucks Epiphone and a 5 watt solid state combo and he will still sound like Mark Knopfler.

It's Mark playing the guitar not the guitar playing him.

If you wan't sound like that, GO PRACTICE....

A LOT!!!

Give Knopfler a 150 bucks Epiphone and a 5 watt solid state combo and he will still sound like Mark Knopfler.

It's Mark playing the guitar not the guitar playing him.

If you wan't sound like that, GO PRACTICE....

A LOT!!!

ok

but i have read these kind of ////// answers for years

i did not know it could exist again :) in 2016

or you may have not understood the question

read it twice for a better understanding :) : i was not talking about technique but about the sound of 3 specific guitars

THE SOUND AND NOTHING ABOUT THE SOUND

but to answer to this, you had to have a trad

a 59'

a lp standard

a studio with new pickups

a trad

a tribute 60's

my question was "if we want a vintage sound like Knopfler has with his r 9 , will it be good with a Standard or nothing a r9?"

i will ask to my luthier

it will be better :) [biggrin][thumbup]

my question "if we want a vintage sound like Knopfler has with his r 9 "...

This is a rhetorical question?

:-k

The real answer is "It wouldn't matter in the slightest. All the guitars you mention could be made to sound pretty-much exactly the same."

OK, but i have read these kind of ////// answers for years ...

That's because it is the correct answer. Is this too difficult for you to understand?

If you have always received "these kind of ////// answers for years" did it never occur to you that there might be a Very Good Reason everyone was saying the same thing?

If you don't like having received "these kind of ////// answers for years" then may I suggest you stop asking the same question?

If you really have been asking this same type of question for "//////" years then it would seem the answer still hasn't quite got through all that 'fluff' you have in place of 'brain'.

As Mr C.O.Jones says;

"It's Mark playing the guitar; not the guitar playing him."

Knopfler would STILL sound like Knopfler if he was to play a 'Winfield Crapcaster' through a miked-up Kazoo.

Do something about it yourself, for goodness sakes.

YOU have to do ALL the hard stuff. Merely buying an R9 and a top-quality rig will NOT lead to anyone mistaking you for Mark Knopfler.

Every variation of Les Paul you mention above could be made to sound exactly like Mark Knopfler playing his R9 (or either of his original 'bursts) if Mark Knopfler was playing it.

If it REALLY matters then take your pick;

When MK recorded the "Brothers in Arms" album he played a late Norlin-era Standard.

When Dire Straits toured promoting the album he played a special-order Custom Shop '59 Re-Issue.

After that he bought a 1958 Standard and a 1959 Standard.

All different yet all sounding the same in his hands.

It doesn't matter which guitar he plays and It will not matter which guitar YOU play.

Just choose one you like and spend your time practicing instead of worrying over which type of guitar will make you sound like Mark Knopfler..

Pip.

Hello.

Mr. Knopfler on His '58 Les Paul:

The studio version of the same song. Recorded with a '83 Les Paul Standard:

Do You hear any outstanding differences in His tone?

Bence.

Archived