Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Stamped J-45!

Son of Light

In all seriousness- while this is intriguing, is anyone suggesting it somehow lessens the value or should be sent back?

Get some info from Gibson as others have said... I would not be to hasty in getting rid of it though.. If it were mine.. I would be keeping it..

Reason.. 2017s models are not out yet.. keep your dated bill of sale and any other paper work you got with the guitar..

Get some info from Gibson as others have said... I would not be to hasty in getting rid of it though.. If it were mine.. I would be keeping it..

Reason.. 2017s models are not out yet.. keep your dated bill of sale and any other paper work you got with the guitar..

I agree.

Even though it may me "normal" in a year, it's an oddity NOW.

New Gibson Acoustics come with 'case candy': A new set of Gibson Strings, a Gibson Pick and a little leather key fog, pick holder thingy. More to the point, they also come with a 'Spec Sheet". A printed form that describes the technical components of the guitar: electronics on board, tuners, etc. Assuming you received all of the above with your brand new Gibson, have you ave you compared the specs on the sheet with those of the standard J-45s of the 2016 run?

This may sound stupid , but could a prototype for the new 2017 ? series have slipped out by mistake . Looks beautiful and a keeper to my eyes , enjoy making wonderful music .

Not at all stupid - happened in Kalamazoo, only those were marked 'prototype'!

Ha. Yes. Here is the not so mysterious and unexciting reply from Gibson:

"Gibson Montana released their 2017 line up this month. They introduced a few new models, a few with some slight spec changes, and many with the only change being the model year noted on the back of the peg head, instead of on the truss rod cover. The J-45 Standard is indeed the same as it was in 2016, with this 2017 stamp being the only change. Thanks."

"Gibson Montana released their 2017 line up this month. They introduced a few new models, a few with some slight spec changes, and many with the only change being the model year noted on the back of the peg head, instead of on the truss rod cover. The J-45 Standard is indeed the same as it was in 2016, with this 2017 stamp being the only change. Thanks."

Thanks for the info! Enjoy your new 45. It's a beauty.

I wish Gibson would publish some type of news letter.

Another Gibson mystery solved.... [thumbup]

Well guys, I'm not ashamed to say that I walked into GC today and play this side by side with my J45 standard: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-RS4R-BBGH1

It blew me away. I could absolutely here the difference between the Adi red spruce and the sitka. Not saying it's better, just saying it's what I want. I then ordered from american musical because they dropped the price to less than a standard!

And that's all she wrote!

There's nothing wrong with the guitar, and I had a couple SG's that have the year stamped on the headstock along with the serial number. OP, there is nothing "wrong" with your guitar. Just stop worrying and second guessing yourself and play it and enjoy it, otherwise you'll always be wondering if there's something "better' out there or if you should "trade up". The hard truth pill though for many of us to swallow is we probably suck and if we're being totally honest all the effort of getting rid of this guitar to get another that you think will be better is time wasted agonizing while you could just be playing and practicing, which is the only thing that will make you sound better. I bought a J45 Standard from Wildwood a little while ago and could have bought a TV, but the Standards are great guitars. Never regretted it. But then again, i also don't sweat decisions like this and recently sold off a ton of guitars and only kept the ones I play often and decided to get over being a nit-picker and agonizing over whether or not every little detail mattered, because n all honesty, it doesn't.

Ummm......no one said anything was "wrong" with the guitar. We were curious about the headstock stamping, which does still seem odd (not wrong!) to me: a 2016 serial number, indicating a 2016 build, yet a 2017 headstock stamp. Perhaps in 50 years this oddity will command a high price for its' rarity, maybe not. It's still a nice instrument that the OP is apparently happy with, and that's the bottom line.

New Gibson Acoustics come with 'case candy': A new set of Gibson Strings, a Gibson Pick and a little leather key fog, pick holder thingy. More to the point, they also come with a 'Spec Sheet". A printed form that describes the technical components of the guitar: electronics on board, tuners, etc. Assuming you received all of the above with your brand new Gibson, have you ave you compared the specs on the sheet with those of the standard J-45s of the 2016 run?

I have NEVER received a spec sheet on any new Gibson I've purchased, be it acoustic of electric, from any vendor. Case candy, yes. Spec sheet, no.

Ummm......no one said anything was "wrong" with the guitar. We were curious about the headstock stamping, which does still seem odd (not wrong!) to me: a 2016 serial number, indicating a 2016 build, yet a 2017 headstock stamp. Perhaps in 50 years this oddity will command a high price for its' rarity, maybe not. It's still a nice instrument that the OP is apparently happy with, and that's the bottom line.

Ummm...you guys were making the OP paranoid about his guitar, when ti already seems like he's paranoid to begin with.

Well guys, I'm not ashamed to say that I walked into GC today and play this side by side with my J45 standard: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-RS4R-BBGH1

It blew me away. I could absolutely here the difference between the Adi red spruce and the sitka. Not saying it's better, just saying it's what I want. I then ordered from american musical because they dropped the price to less than a standard!

And that's all she wrote!

So you found the guitar of your dreams, yet passed on it and ordered the same model (but different guitar) from an online supplier, sight unseen and unplayed in person) just to save a few bucks? Didn't learn your lesson with this current J45?!

So you found the guitar of your dreams, yet passed on it and ordered the same model (but different guitar) from an online supplier, sight unseen and unplayed in person) just to save a few bucks? Didn't learn your lesson with this current J45?!

I will try to be more clear. There were no lessons to be learned. The J45 Standard was great, I would happily keep it forever. I could care less about the headstock stamp, truss rod covers, or any other items of no importance. I've been playing for over 20 years, and I've owned a lot of Gibsons - really nice ones, all electric - I know what I'm doing. I originally posted to get people's thoughts on the adirondack spruce used on the True Vintage or Vintage models. As someone pointed out earlier on page 1, I needed to hear the red spruce for myself. I'm a good player, not super discerning when it comes to acoustic tone. If I like a model, I buy it. Yes, even online. Simple as that. I liked the tonal qualities of the Adi spruce, so I bought that guitar online because it saved me a grand. Peace and love!

I will try to be more clear. There were no lessons to be learned. The J45 Standard was great, I would happily keep it forever. I could care less about the headstock stamp, truss rod covers, or any other items of no importance. I've been playing for over 20 years, and I've owned a lot of Gibsons - really nice ones, all electric - I know what I'm doing. I originally posted to get people's thoughts on the adirondack spruce used on the True Vintage or Vintage models. As someone pointed out earlier on page 1, I needed to hear the red spruce for myself. I'm a good player, not super discerning when it comes to acoustic tone. If I like a model, I buy it. Yes, even online. Simple as that. I liked the tonal qualities of the Adi spruce, so I bought that guitar online because it saved me a grand. Peace and love!

My point was just because you ordered the same model as the one you played, does not mean it will sound exactly the same. Acoustic guitars vary so much form one to the other, even of the same model, so if you found "The One" that spoke to you in a shop, why take your chances on ordering a different guitar of the same model online just to save a few bucks? Why not just buy the exact guitar you fell in love with int he store? To each his/her own I guess!

My point was just because you ordered the same model as the one you played, does not mean it will sound exactly the same. Acoustic guitars vary so much form one to the other, even of the same model, so if you found "The One" that spoke to you in a shop, why take your chances on ordering a different guitar of the same model online just to save a few bucks? Why not just buy the exact guitar you fell in love with int he store? To each his/her own I guess!

I don't believe in "the one" when it comes to guitars - I guess what I meant is that I liked the particular sound of the wood combo - I could tell the difference in general. The spruce/hog gave me the bluesy sound I wanted. Plain and simple.

It's all OK as long as you feel content with what you have. I'd have probably gone a different route because my background is more acoustic oriented. Electrics, to me, are essentially kind of generic, so if one had what I consider a good neck and played comfortably and offered the sound I needed, I would be entirely happy. My acoustic preferences are a lot more finely tuned, so to speak, and the variations among guitars of the same model would be/is a major consideration.

Archived