Gibson Brands Forums

Are you feeling horny

:)

I was wondering what you guys thought of this...

So ive been building some guitars.. And as I do, I keep experimenting with different shapes and styles...

But im not 100% sure on this.. Its probably very obvious (and the people on here who know me well all know) that I love the double cut shape out of all the various styles of guitar shape so ive been working on (fairly subtle)different types of horn shape...

Which do you guys like best? the problem with me is I like all of them [rolleyes]

So lets call this 1

This is a similar shape to the ahhem Gibson shape (or is it PRS? :P) where the bottom and top horn are different (and I must state while very similar to Gibsons shape is slightly different :unsure: :))

DSC_1878_zpsdwof2lt0.jpg

Then we have 2

With this one I made the top and bottom the same with the shorter horn style

DSC_1876_zpsnnutbw4u.jpg

And then 3

This one which is currently getting finish has both horns almost the same with the longer horn style

DSC_1901_zpsuyprqvjb.jpg

Also I think this shot is interesting as it really shows the difference between the styles

DSC_1900_zpsd5lqlyal.jpg

So what do you think looks better.. 1, 2 or 3?

No vote here, just the suggestion of doing what is best for a nice overall weight balance. To my experience, the longer the upper horn, the better the balance of a double-cut. Just saying... :-k

No vote here, just the suggestion of doing what is best for a nice overall weight balance. To my experience, the longer the upper horn, the better the balance of a double-cut. Just saying... :-k

Good point..

I guess we will soon see when these are finished.. I will let you know :)

By the way, I love the grey hue of the first one pictured. As an amateur photographer since decades, I still seem to have a special eye on objects that might look the same on black-and-white and colour pictures! [biggrin]

By the way, I love the grey hue of the first one pictured. As an amateur photographer since decades, I still seem to have a special eye on objects that might look the same on black-and-white and colour pictures! [biggrin]

Black Walnut...

I like it too.. but obviously that will change when I put the finish on... :) It will then look like No3.

Interesting post.... [thumbup]

I initially mistook it for a discussion about trumpets and saxophones... <_<

Nice 'alternative' horns....I'm a die-hard ES335 horn aficionado...

But many potential owners will no doubt 'dig' something well crafted and visualised.. [thumbup]

Just for fun suggest a 'gander' at Gordon Smith's Galaxy...another IMO interesting take on the horn question

Happy Horning... [thumbup]

Parp Parp... <_<

V

:-({|=

PS.....Yes indeed to the question of 'balance' and overall weight. Placement of neck heel strap button is also worth consideration

Hello Rabs!

The slimmer is better. Also, either symmetrical, or well-balanced proportions are easier on the eye.

I think, Gibson's classic DC design is perfect. PRS-style is great too.

74ce7176-540b-4b90-a8c1-ece5f86bd669.jpg

This is not pleasing for the eyes:

Coronet_Cherry_Maestro_56934_a.jpg

Bence.

I voted 3.

There is something about that shape. There are models with small variations that look good too. ES-339 ES-335 etc.

Take a look at this one. I played this one (yes the actual one in the photo) last month. It's a 1980 mij Washburn Eagle. It has a particularly fine shape I think.

Washburn%20Eagle%201981%20Ebony%204.jpg

I might have bought it, but came away with the Squier Esprit instead. Yep, symmetrical horns again.

Me too, and have wondered what the new re-issues are like.

Hello.

Too expensive for a Gibson copy.

The Japanese-made guitars (Prestige-series) are beautiful and cost as much as a similar Gibson. The lower range ones look like Epiphones and priced like those. Not a wise business decision, in my opinion.

The Prestige:

AR2619_AV_00_01.png€2,035

Indonesian-made (might be Chinese):

11210914_800.jpg

€833

Bence.

Hello.

Too expensive for a Gibson copy.

The Japanese-made guitars (Prestige-series) are beautiful and cost as much as a similar Gibson. The lower range ones look like Epiphones and priced like those. Not a wise business decision, in my opinion.

Bence.

I know what you mean, but I'm a fan of mij guitars, so in a straightforward comparison I would happily go with whichever one insisted I take it home (yes, even with a lesser resale residual).

In the uk the new Prestige models actually seem rarer than the 70s-80s originals. No doubt because of the high prices.

Hmm, for me personally, they are a bit too pointy... Which isn't a problem so much for aesthetics but more for the placement of the strap pin on the top horn... While it does fit.. it JUST fits...

This is not pleasing for the eyes:

Coronet_Cherry_Maestro_56934_a.jpg

Bence.

Ahh yes.. Ive been studying this picture.. And I think its the small back body that's off putting on this one... it all looks squashed...

One of my early designs was similar in some ways, but my body wasn't as squashed and the horns are fatter

DSC01633_zpsyajs69r6.jpg

Hmm, for me personally, they are a bit too pointy... Which isn't a problem so much for aesthetics but more for the placement of the strap pin on the top horn... While it does fit.. it JUST fits...

Fair comment. Did you notice the odd position of the strap pin on the Eagle? I don't know how balanced it is, because I played it sitting down.

But judging by the weight of the body, its probably ok. By that I mean that it is seriously heavy!

Archived