Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry but Weight relieved Les Pauls are NOT Les Pauls

Macmutt

Sorry guys. I was on the mobile version of the site and thought there was only one page of posts. Hence some of what I wrote had already been mentioned or "resolved".

I have now read the entire thread and have laughed my ### off doing so. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

WOW !!! i don't think i've ever had such a popular topic, now if only the majority of replies i received agreed with me instead of disagreed....Then i would really be proud.

Oh well, just to add a little tid bit to this post and sort of update it...i have seen the 2017 Les Paul line up and to no surprise i'm interested in the 2017 Traditional T Model.....with NO weight relief, NO Geforce tuning, and NO coil tapping.....Just the original solid body mahogany & maple Les Paul with burst buckers, kluson tuners, rosewood fretboard.

As it's meant to be, this new " ULTRA " modern weight relief thats advertised in the new Les Paul Standard...LOL...i don't even want to know about it, because i'm sure they found a way to remove even more wood.

Gibson won't be happy until the damn thing is transparent, but at least they offer the true tradiotanlist's like myself the option of buying an original specced Les Paul the way they were and should always be made.

WOW !!! i don't think i've ever had such a popular topic, now if only the majority of replies i received agreed with me instead of disagreed....Then i would really be proud.

Oh well, just to add a little tid bit to this post and sort of update it...i have seen the 2017 Les Paul line up and to no surprise i'm interested in the 2017 Traditional T Model.....with NO weight relief, NO Geforce tuning, and NO coil tapping.....Just the original solid body mahogany & maple Les Paul with burst buckers, kluson tuners, rosewood fretboard.

As it's meant to be, this new " ULTRA " modern weight relief thats advertised in the new Les Paul Standard...LOL...i don't even want to know about it, because i'm sure they found a way to remove even more wood.

Gibson won't be happy until the damn thing is transparent, but at least they offer the true tradiotanlist's like myself the option of buying an original specced Les Paul the way they were and should always be made.

Here are the various weight-relief measures up for discussion.

ris._9_0.jpg

Here are the various weight-relief measures up for discussion.

ris._9_0.jpg

No ultra modern weight relief in that pic (which the 2017s are)... I don't think they have released any details about it though. Yet... Maybe sometime if we are lucky

Plus they didn't get the names right... Non weight relief, classic swiss cheese, modern weight relief and then two different types of chambered guitars.

Guest Farnsbarns

True traditionalist? Pah. True traditionalists buy 50s reissues. You will have a short neck tenon, overly hot pups, modern wiring, ceramic caps, some abomination of a bridge a bit like the Nashville, but nothing like the abr1 you should have. The pots will be the wrong taper and your lacquer will be 70% plastic.

Horrible thing. If it's not a reissue it's not a proper Les Paul.

(Scene inside a nearby Guitar Center)

"Say, Billy, are ye busy? We have a new shipment in, and I need somebody who knows how to operate a fork lift."

"Gung-ho, boss. I'm just bilging amplifiers right this minute, and I was trained on fork-lifts and hydraulic cherry-pickers when I was the port-side butter-server on a vessel out of Portsmouth."

"That's a good sailor, Billy. Go back to the starboard receiving dock and help Phil to unload a pallet that came in from Nashville this morning. It's a Gibson guitar special order, and a heavy one at that!"

"Gibson, eh? How many guitars are stacked on each pallet, by the way?"

"Just one."

"One guitar, really?"

"Aye. Some local 'anti-weight-relieved' activist and agitator ordered the 2017 Les Paul Traditional T."

"Ah, I remember that one now. Traditional "T", which stands for 'each guitar weighs a Ton', is that about right, Captain?"

"Yessir me boyo. And this one features the custom shop Boat Anchor finish, the Grover Lead Sinker tuners, and the 'Golden Gate' bridge."

"Yowza. Must take three men and a boy just to strap it onto the man. I do hope the new owner has a strong back."

"We don't worry about their backs here at Guitar Center, Billy. Just whether or not their credit is any good."

"Brilliant! I'll get right on it, Skipper."

"That's my good lad. And say, when the job is done, take yourself an extra ration of rum. And one for each boatswain who heaves in to help ye. "

"Aye aye, sir."

:lol: [wink][woot]

I don't know what mine is and I don't care. I sound the same on all Les Pauls, no matter what the weight relief, and that is, Awesome. If you can't sound awesome on any old Les Paul weight relief or no weight relief is not going to help you.

rct

Salam aleikum Machmutt!

Looks like your solid body terrorism continues, huh?

I think Farns got it almost right, theres only one little problem IMO.

Even those reissues are knockoffs.

Unless you have a time-machine you won't get a 100% TRUE TRADITIONAL Les Paul Standard with the right timbers.

Or you could buy a real vintage late 50's/early 60's Lester, come back to the forum post some pics and write something like: Hi you **** bastards, how do you like my REAL Les Paul?

Will you ***** shut up now and admit that I'm right?

Well, I say all modern Gibson's aren't real Gibson guitars...even the Les Paul wasn't a true Gibson because Orville Henry Gibson was no longer around. When he left the company went downhill and that was at the beginning of the 1900's. If it ain't a harp guitar or if it doesn't have Orville's signature then IT IS NOT A GIBSON!!! That Lloyd Loar guy was merely an imposter. Ted McCarty designed the Les Paul, so even the original wasn't a Les Paul, it was a TED (infact should have been called TED PAUL when Les got involved!)...AND the original LP was not fully solid, I mean it had control and routing cavities which made it slightly hollow - THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE as it should have been totally solid and the electrics stuck on top with duct tape.

(PS, I am joking, before someone takes my post seriously!)

Spot-on.

Everybody is in denial of the simple fact that the prototype Les Paul was the prefect guitar. Gibson got it right first time.

The decision to make it look exactly like their ubiquitous archtops was an act of faith which was rewarded by the everlasting devotion of Les Paul owners.

Whether they realise it or not, everybody should to be using this.

https://www.guitar.com/articles/auction-les-paul%E2%80%99s-personal-les-paul-prototype-and-chet-atkins%E2%80%99-%E2%80%9Cdark-eyes%E2%80%9D-guitars

Every LP produced since 1954 has gradually devolved. This has culminated in that outrage, the ES-Les Paul

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

Not even content with that, 2017 will see the introduction of the ES-Les Paul Levitation. The acoustic chamber with the helium filled sac that has to be led around on a piece of string.

Expect inflated price rises too.

Now there's a post I can agree with!

I agree with the sentiment of the OP although of course a Les Paul is however Gibson choose to make it and call it a "Les Paul".

It is just that I prefer to have it solid all the way through, with da nibs and no electronic nonsense doing the tuning.

Guest Farnsbarns

What's really amazing is how in denial most guitarists are about how pick-ups actually work, how sustain actually works, etc.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

What's really amazing is how in denial most guitarists are about how pick-ups actually work, how sustain actually works, etc.

I realize I've only been doing this for money for...about 43 years now. Would you please describe my denial of how guitars actually work?

rct

Really You think..

Disagree with you

wonder why??

I can tell you why...because most players in here are all of 25 years or younger and don't know jack about guitar construction, they see a pretty flame top and hear some hot pick ups, so their convinced it's the real deal.

If they bothered to educate themselves then they would realize it's also SOLID hardwood that contributes to the meaty sustain of the guitar, which is why a lot of the older guy's like myself would put up a late 50's Les Paul against any of the hallowed out pieces of crap they make today.

Don't come in here all pissed off at me because you spent three grand on a Les Paul and you feel the need to justify it after you found out that most of the wood has been routered out.

You should've just done more research and selected your instrument more carefully.....it's not my fault.

The terms attack, decay and release are applicable, but a guitar's level envelope doesn't have any sustain on principal.

Piezo bridge or saddle pickups deliver the entire string tone defined by the string itself, scale length, tuning pitch, and fretting and attack positions. Magnetic pickups deliver a small section of it, further restricted by magnetic properties of the strings, magnetic characteristics of the pickup(s), in particular aperture, and coil and cable properties.

Knowing about it can help saving lots of money, but is not crucial for making music. Honestly, I would love to trade some knowledge for improved playing skills. [rolleyes]

I can tell you why...because most players in here are all of 25 years or younger and don't know jack about guitar construction, they see a pretty flame top and hear some hot pick ups, so their convinced it's the real deal.

So how many guitars have you built then that gives you this experience and knowledge?

If they bothered to educate themselves then they would realize it's also SOLID hardwood that contributes to the meaty sustain of the guitar, which is why a lot of the older guy's like myself would put up a late 50's Les Paul against any of the hallowed out pieces of crap they make today.

Don't come in here all pissed off at me because you spent three grand on a Les Paul and you feel the need to justify it after you found out that most of the wood has been routered out.

You should've just done more research and elected your instrument more carefully.....it's not my fault.

"SOLID"... except, of course, for where they are significantly routed out for the 2 pickups (which means 3 pickup Black Beauties must not be real LPs because they have too much wood removed). Or where they are routed out for the wiring or for the pots/rear access or for the toggle switch... those areas of wood that are removed are inconsequential... and still qualify as "SOLID"... but if you remove one more bit of wood after that... total crap!!!!!!!! [blink]???????

Some people.... [rolleyes]

Archived