Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Macmutt

Sorry but Weight relieved Les Pauls are NOT Les Pauls

What it shows is, that luckily there are still people out there that believe that it's pointless to drill or router holes in a flawless hard wood guitar body.

No it doesn't.

Just keep something in mind there are semi hollow and hollow bodies in Gibson's line right now with weight relieved bodies....ok...the guitars are already hollow, what the heck are they doing ?..and if you still won't admit that their cutting corners with that, then i give up.

How is drilling extra holes cost cutting???? If anything it cost more to do because it takes longer???

You just arnt making any sense at all??

And so now we know why mankind will never, ever be able to live in peace.

And why there are always right around 3 or more major wars are being waged at any one time on this earth.

Opinons.

They are war-starters.

[unsure]

WWII_Patriotic_Posters_Civilian_Jobs_15LG.jpg

i'm just a guy that loves good ol' fashion craftsmanship...

No you don't. You love a 2015 Les Paul Traditional.

Facts are facts and they can't be changed if anyone here has a Les Paul with traditional or modern weight relief then it's not a true Les Paul...

All i've done is voice my opinion...

Do they even teach the concepts of Fact V Opinion in school these days? [rolleyes]

Hey whatever man, you want to resort to name calling go right ahead, but i'm not, i'm just a guy that loves good ol' fashion craftsmanship and i express my self passionately about it,

sometimes too passionately, but hey whatever, we all love playing what we play, but this post was directed at Gibson in the hopes they would some day change things, not individual guitar players that bought weight relieved guitars,

i don't care what others play, like i said if it makes you happy that's all that matters.

This post was directed just at the one who bought a weight relieved Gibson.

The only thing you are passionately doing is telling them they don`t own a real Gibson,

in hopes they will check out the one you mentioned and well, not being weight relieved I`ll buy that instead.

If you really wanted Gibson`s attention, you would have written, e-mailed or called them directly.

I call A Troll A Troll... A Shill A Shill... It is what it is.

No you don't. You love a 2015 Les Paul Traditional.

Which is the closest i'll get to a Les Paul made with a solid body, a meaty round neck and the vintage sound of 59 pickups, that can still be considered a new guitar purchase.

This post was directed just at the one who bought a weight relieved Gibson.

The only thing you are passionately doing is telling them they don`t own a real Gibson,

in hopes they will check out the one you mentioned and well, not being weight relieved I`ll buy that instead.

If you really wanted Gibson`s attention, you would have written, e-mailed or called them directly.

I call A Troll A Troll... A Shill A Shill... It is what it is.

This post is in Gibson's forum, and i was hoping one or more Gibson employees might read it and get the subtle message, it wasn't directed towards individual players, regardless of what you think or what name you call me.

And so now we know why mankind will never, ever be able to live in peace.

And why there are always right around 3 or more major wars are being waged at any one time on this earth.

Opinons.

They are war-starters.

[unsure]

WWII_Patriotic_Posters_Civilian_Jobs_15LG.jpg

I whole heartedly agree, except i'm not trying to impose my beliefs on anyone, if people are happy with what they have thats great, i was just trying to get through to those who might agree and those at Gibson to stop changing what doesn't need to be changed, but obviously i'm the only one who believes that the body should remain solid.

Macmutt, Gibson already listened to each and every purist out there.

You guys can choose from many,many models especially created for you.

Same goes for all those poor kid's out there that will never know what a real Les Paul is.

Go and get yourself a Reissue,

a True Historic or a Collectors choice.

When you have found one you like,

go to a store try it and compare it to your 2015 Leo Baul Traditional.

I bet you'll be suprised of how

un-traditional your Traditional is.

Which is the closest i'll get to a Les Paul made with a solid body, a meaty round neck and the vintage sound of 59 pickups, that can still be considered a new guitar purchase.

Sorry Macmutt, but I think most people on here will consider a 2015 as about as far removed from a "true" Les Paul as you can possibly get. I tried a few and also a 2015 Sprint Run model but I Still paid more for a 2014, solid, 59 Tribute pickups and fat neck.

Maybe you should watch the video I posted here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/131654-bernie-marsden-on-50s-les-pauls-and-re-issues/ where Bernie Marsden talks about people who've never played an early Les Paul.

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

2015 trads are shit. I played many and they were all turds. All the highly regarded guitar players I've met told me the same too. Plus, a cute animal dies every time they sell one.

Did everyone miss the bit where this moron said Les Pauls used to have poly finish but They changed to nitro in the 70s?

[lol]

... but along come some whiners that when first holding the Les Paul began complaining about their backs, and obviously they whined loud enough and long enough for Gibson to start drilling holes,and thus beginning the whole alteration and butchering of the guitar with the weight relief crap.

The whole weight relief posturing thing isn't about peoples' backs, it's probably mostly about their you-know-whats. The compensation thing....

Me, personally, I have a 30 lb. Les Paul 'cause I'm a he-man, tough-guy, rootin-tootin-Putin, gotta watch out cause it could injure somebody if it unrolled, kind of studley, giving chicks the wave-off kind of guy. A long-scale, long-tenon, old girth guy. My doctor says I should try weight-relieving it just to keep the earth from wobbling.

But you guys with the light Les Pauls are fine too. [thumbup]

This has become a decidedly mean-spirited thread...

With respect, Sparky, No it hasn't.

This thread started-out as a mean-spirited thread.

A thread which has as it's core message 'Anyone who has bought a USA-line Les Paul in the last 34 years (2013-'15 Trads excepted, of course, because that's what I have) has bought a third-rate POS which, regardless of what you might think, is NOT a Les Paul.' isn't so much 'mean-spirited' as 'thoroughly offensive'.

As the thread grew it became abundantly clear that Macmutt's ridiculous arrogance was matched only by his astonishing ignorance in all matters Les Paul.

He thinks anything lighter than a solid-bodied LP is rubbish but has no idea (to within 2lbs!!) how heavy his own guitar is in the first place.

He makes a big point about how terrible weight-relief is... "Think about that, a WHOLE POUND of wood cut from the guitar..."...and so is obviously totally unaware that almost all 9-hole weight-relieved guitars will be heavier than the solid-bodied Re-Issues which are, as it happens, the closest to what is a 'real' Les Paul in his mypoic view.

Does he know that the 'original' 1958-'60 'bursts (it would seem) averaged out at around 8.75lbs? That's at least 1/2lb lighter than the average weight-relieved LP.

What can you say to such an idiot except "Before you go out to play make sure you have Done Your Homework".

Pip.

Did everyone miss the bit where this moron said Les Pauls used to have poly finish but They changed to nitro in the 70s?

[lol]

I noticed. I also noticed that he thinks they used to have pearl inlays and bone nuts... "In the good days" .

Clueless...

Very entertaining and informative read, thanks to all!

Er.....

I've got a non-weight-relieved one.

Macmutt,

I get where you are coming from, really I do.

And I agree with some of the spirit of your posting, if not the letter.

But in the end, markets evolve, players grow older, and younger players come onto the scene.

Things change.

Many of today's American-made automobiles are the best ever made, with regard to safety, fuel economy, clean emissions, modern technologies, and really cool features.

But they will never be a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air.

They will never be quite like a 1959 Cadillac Sedan De Ville.

Or a 1972 Oldsmobile 442.

I really dig my new Suzuki motorcycle.

But it's not as cool and funky as the ones I grew up riding in the early 1970's.

I had a 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top.

I don't remember that much about it (I sold it when I went off into the Army), but I do remember it was heavy.

I owned, and then years later sold, a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, in black and gold.

It was heavy, and I never played it all that much.

I sold it a few years ago, and was glad to have gotten fair market value for it.

I now own a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio copper top.

I love it, but it's heavy, and so I don't play it as often as I might.

I really dig it, but sometimes I wish it were lighter.

Please don't misinterpret the push-back (and even open animosity) you have encountered in response to your original posting as personal criticism.

It's not.

It's just that we all want what we want, and what I want isn't necessarily what you particularly crave.

You Sir,,, nailed it!!!! I couldn't agree more

17r79x.jpg

rct

LMFAO.........and now to wipe the iced coffee off my screen.............

NHTom

I'm really starting to buy into this whole non-weight relieved/better tone thing.............

My only question is...........Did Dumble or Klon ever make a scale? If so, then any guitar weighed on that must sound fricken awesome!!!!!

[lol] [lol]

NHTom

Guest Farnsbarns

I want a video of this guys trad. I mean, He's clearly wrong but this must be some 15 trad. It must play and sound amazing. Come on fella; we're all really sorry if we were horrible, we didn't mean it. Post a video of this guitar.

Yeah I was sarcastic too, but I now wish to make clear that so far as I am concerned:

Mr. MacNutt, since you so dearly wish to take ownership of what defines a Les Paul guitar, you may have it. Enjoy it in good health.

Fill your boots man!

BTW, I also have a 2015 Les Paul. Whoops..! Let me rephrase that:

I also have a 2015 guitar with Gibson written on it.

PS

Should I be making this clear to the the audience at the next gig?

I have a 2015 SG but I'm still wanting that 2015 Les Paul Less Plus. The perfect Les Paul.

And they are ALL real les Pauls.

Highly entertaining thread [biggrin]

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but even the original Les Paul's were not really a 'Les Paul'...it was actually a Ted McCarty and Les just said paint 'em gold and put my tailpiece on it please [laugh]

I own both solid and weight relieved LP's. Personally I find the original post somewhat pointless. Holes or no holes, they all play and sound great. As someone pointed out, if you want a authentic spec 'solid' LP, just buy a re-issue. Problem solved...no need to complain anymore!...unless you start thinking exactly how accurate the reissues are? I mean they are still trying to get to the exact 'holy grail' burst. Therefore, I believe these guitars are garbage too [laugh]

Guest Farnsbarns

All solid body guitars are garbage. That's the beauty of them

...all i can say is, play one for yourself....

Before you shoot yourself in the foot yet again can I suggest you click on Tim's 'My gear' link which can be found in his sig. line at the bottom of each of his posts?

If you do so then you might have a small insight into how well the chap knows his way 'round solid-body Les Pauls...

Just a friendly word to the wise.

[wink]

P.