Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry but Weight relieved Les Pauls are NOT Les Pauls

Macmutt

All solid body guitars are garbage...

My '64 Strat wasn't.

But yeah. The rest?

Garbage.

Pip.

EDIT : On the subject of Weight-relief and Solid-bodied timbers...

I passed by your non-weight-relieved solid-bodied-timber-frame house on Thursday at around 16:30, Farns.

I knocked but I'm guessing you weren't in?

L1003587%20lo-res_zpssjrws9ev.jpg

Nice roads around your gaff!

[thumbup]

Pip.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All solid body guitars are garbage. That's the beauty of them

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

My '64 Strat wasn't.

But yeah. The rest?

Garbage.

Pip.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!

How about one made of cardboard?

GAAAAHHH!!

Go and get yourself a Reissue, a True Historic or a Collectors choice.

When you have found one you like, go to a store try it and compare it to your 2015 Leo Baul Traditional.

I bet you'll be suprised of how un-traditional your Traditional is.

I missed this post in all the fun the other day.

Spot-on, Mr. Cojones!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Seriously -

The question may as well be, at what point do 'innovations', 'improvements' or just changes to the original design, actually cross a line to compromise and/or make the original become something else? Is that it?

I have a Fender Twin Reverb II 2x12 combo, a wonderful amp.

For servicing I took it to a very experienced and reputable amp expert who pointed out that the changes piggybacked onto the original Fender Twin design (by Paul Rivera for Fender) had made it into something else entirely.

The LP design 'survived' the weight relief changes. No-one noticed at first did they?

The LP Studio guitars I played when they came out (haven't tried one for yrs) weren't like 'proper' LPs IMO though I think that must have changed.

But a wider board and zero-fret nut...surely these are far more noticeable than weight-relief?

My own feeling on weight relief is that I know it makes no difference at all BUT I do prefer a non-relieved LP....simply because I am a snob.

TBH it was a big consideration when I bought mine...so I understand why the OP said what he did though he seems to have expressed it in a controversial way. [biggrin]

Where is CB and Stein?

Good stuff people!

This thread started-out as a mean-spirited thread.

A thread which has as it's core message 'Anyone who has bought a USA-line Les Paul in the last 34 years (2013-'15 Trads excepted, of course, because that's what I have) has bought a third-rate POS which, regardless of what you might think, is NOT a Les Paul.' isn't so much 'mean-spirited' as 'thoroughly offensive'.

As the thread grew it became abundantly clear that Macmutt's ridiculous arrogance was matched only by his astonishing ignorance in all matters Les Paul.

This is indeed true, pip.

And I apologize for my earlier observations about the mean-spiritedness of the responses that Macmutt was receiving.

The lesson for all of us is (and this is true in any endeavor, and on any topic), if you are going to rock a strong and vitriolic opinion, you had better have your facts straight and all your ducks in a row.

Otherwise, the true experts will surely let you know how foolish your opinions are.

In a similar vein, I would like to relate a story from 36 years ago.

I was stationed in Texas, serving with the US Army in an Air Cavalry squadron (featuring AH-1S Cobra helicopters, OH-58C scout helicopters, and UH-1H Hueys).

Most of the senior pilots and mentors were all Vietnam Veterans, and they were awesome fellows.

Rude, crude, socially-unacceptable, but solid and able aviators.

Always there to guide you and teach you, but also happy to break your balls if you ever showed any undue ego or an undeserved swagger.

I was a wet-behind the ears scout pilot, barely old enough to buy beer.

My nicknames included 'squirt', 'puppy', 'Junior', and 'whistle-d1ck'.

Sometimes they called me Sparky.

I kept my mouth shut, by and large, and was content to learn from the masters.

At some point a new Lieutenant came aboard, and as he in-processed into the organization, he went around and introduced himself.

Tall, young, and sporting a wispy blondish mustache, he greeted everyone the same way.

He offered a firm handshake and an engaging smile, and he looked you square in the eyes as he announced, "Hi, I'm Jim Marrs, but you can call me 'Kid Cobra'!"

Kid Cobra.

The old Vietnam Vets were astounded at the LT's impertinence.

New Lieutenants and junior warrant officers were expected to be meek and humble, and to earn their spurs with a quiet humility.

And who in the heck was this cock-strong ding-dong, calling himself Kid Cobra no less?

So sure enough, each of the elder Gun Platoon pilots took their turn flying with Jim Marrs over the next few weeks.

Local traffic pattern work, autorotations, aerial gunnery exercises, combat maneuvering flight.

They pulled Kid Cobra thru the wringer!

Amazingly, the kid was good.

Very good.

He was smart, he knew the aircraft inside and out, he flew it superbly, he could dot the center of an APC silhouette target with 20mm rounds every time, and he could lob 2.75-inch rocket thru a car window.

In short, Jim Marrs could back up his bravado with tangible deeds and demonstrable knowledge and prowess.

He was awarded Pilot In Command status in record time, and all the old Vets begrudgingly came to admire him.

Anyway.

MacMutt?

There's a lesson in here for you somewhere, I think sir.

Kid Les Paul you ain't.

:unsure: [crying][unsure][mellow]

i haven't put my guitar on a scale if thats what your asking, but my guess would be 7 to 9lbs at least.

My back and I are happy my 1992 Les Paul Standard of 10.1 pounds is "only" a swiss cheese, even my 2005 SG Standard is 7 pounds

Well i've said my piece, you guy's can continue to go on debating, ridiculing, insulting or picking apart my guitar or other comments i made.

Enjoy yourselves, and i genuinely hope each one of you is happy with what ever guitars you own.

The important thing to remember is we all love playing guitars, and that should give us enough common ground to be civil to one another at the very least.

It's been fun, take care all.

How about that video?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

What about all the legitimate questions that have been asked to the OP and just ignored..?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

It's difficult to choose just one sentence which sums up Macmutt's post in all it's variety but, on reflection, this one covers a lot of ground;

The wider fingerboard is an improvement over the older narrow one that you couldn't even bend up or down on the high or low E string without going over the edge...

:mellow:

Pip.

Well i've said my piece, you guy's can continue to go on debating, ridiculing, insulting or picking apart my guitar or other comments i made.

Enjoy yourselves, and i genuinely hope each one of you is happy with what ever guitars you own.

The important thing to remember is we all love playing guitars, and that should give us enough common ground to be civil to one another at the very least.

It's been fun Trolling, take care all.

You started with diminishing everyone with a weight relieved Les Paul, then went on to call them whiners.

We will enjoy and are very happy with our real; Les Paul guitars!

Yes we all love playing our Gibson guitars!

Your ending said it all... Pinocchio :---)

Guest Farnsbarns

I certainly enjoyed it! Come back soon and start another one. The you can look really clever again.

How about that video?

and I stayed out of it till he admitted to trolling.. :)

(I thought it was bizarre from the opening post)

Did he KB?

'Cos Post 136 doesn't include that word.

So I hope you're right, else something has occurred here.

(I thought it was bizarre from the opening post)

Hmmmmmmmm........

It technically could have been more bizarre when you think about it for a minute.

[unsure]

*ahem*

Before anyone jumps all over me about the title and opinion of this post, just think about it for a minute.

The infamous women that put the Western world on the map for decades, were NOT weight relieved, and therefore that voluptuousness and that feminine architecture and the pleasure of playing with those sought after curves was a SOLID flawless back with a solid curvy hiney, and those beautiful exquisite breast$, whether 38 D's, 34 C’s or even petite jublies, it is the buxomness we all know and love, from early Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Liz Taylor, Sophia Loren, even some early Raquel Welch.

All those women had the hips and thighs and SOLID bodies, not nipped, not tucked, not dieted down to 99 pounds or any modern weight standards, and the sad part is that kids learning women today will never know or care that they’re not playing with a TRUE woman, they’re playing with three quarters of one.

Now to make matters worse in the 2016 culture they have shaved off all the fuzz off of their precious regions for smoother easier access to the higher bits......oh great just what women’s parts needed even more matter taken off of it.

Am i the only one who thinks that this is an atrocity and butchering of a once phenomenal and quite possibly thee most legendary feminine figures on the planet ? I say make all women with NO weight relief and if they want to make a model with the shaven bikini area then go ahead. Then if some players are being cry babies and start whining about the weight or the access, then they should look at anorexic Somalian fashionistas. and leave the real women and their original spec of having a SOLID body alone.

Now a days when i see all these so called dieting innovations or surgical improvements i shake my head in disgust, and then thank my lucky stars i was smart enough to buy and hold on to a SOLID body woman with NO weight relief and that classic chubby feel.

01russell_337-popup.jpg

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[crying]

Guest Farnsbarns

Did he KB?

'Cos Post 136 doesn't include that word.

So I hope you're right, else something has occurred here.

Yeah. He's edited his last line "it's been fun trolling..."

That's a bit weird of him. He's a bit special.

Jane Russell in "The Outlaw". Legend.

Well I think I can tentatively say that a real Les Paul is

- mostly wood

- made by Gibson Guitar co (or possibly even Epiphone or Orville)

- has 'Les Paul' written on it.

If he'd just said "Weight relieved Les Pauls are not truly solid-body guitars" or words to that effect.....

No-one would have argued...would they?

Archived