Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Sunfist

I was wondering what brand strings Epiphone uses on their Les Paul guitars. They are not quite as good as my usual strings (Ernie Ball Cobalt) but they are pretty darn good considering the junk some other manufacturers use. I love the tone I am getting out of this new guitar while I know a lot of that is the pickups, some of it is the strings too.

I would think D'Addario. If I remember correctly, Gibsons come with D'Addarios these days. I suppose they could manufacture Chinese strings, but I doubt it.

It is D'Addarios (look on the bottom of the specs) : http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

As for tonal differences between manufacturers I'd say yes there are, but it's more like due to compositional differences in the alloys used by each.

It is D'Addarios (look on the bottom of the specs) : http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

As for tonal differences between manufacturers I'd say yes there are, but it's more like due to compositional differences in the alloys used by each.

Late to the party, but I know that Epi ships their acoustics with D'Addario's, so I would assume the same for elec's. Thanks for the clarification FA.

As for tonal differences, I'd have to agree. I used Elixir Nano's and/or Cleartones for a few years, then decided on a whim to try something different. Went with EB Slinky's and, well, meh. Then I tried the EB Cobalts, and wow, they were much brighter, crisper, and overall better sounding than any of the others. I've since been using them now for a year or so. Again, I'm not gigging, just home use.

But to Pinch's point, re the can o worms, tone is a very subjective thing or there wouldn't be so many strings out there would there? LOL.

I bought two Epiphone electric guitars in 2015. Les Paul Standard came with Gibson Brite Wires and ES-339 came with some rubbish strings which I replaced immediately.

It's easy to identify D'Addario strings by their multi-coloured ball ends.

I was wondering what brand strings Epiphone uses on their Les Paul guitars.

Don't know about Les Pauls but I got a new Wildkat a couple of years ago which was fitted with 10-46 Gibson Brite Wires. Been through a few sets of these since but never changed brand or gauge.

I don't buy strings to get a particular tone, I am looking for longevity and a good feel when I am sliding up and down the fretboard. I agree, trying to chase a particular tone by switching string brands is going to lead to nothing but frustration. I like the cobalt strings because they last forever (almost) and they have a polished smooth feel to them. Has nothing much to do with tone.

I can also confirm that Epiphone use D'Addario strings which are my string of choice anyway so I don't need to immediately replace them, which is a bonus! On the flip side as I generally use D'Addario strings I wouldn't know how much difference they make to your sound, so I can't chime in on that debate just yet. I do have a set of RotoSound 9s that I may try, but I doubt it as I prefer 10s anyway.

I see that we have another insightful comment from SGPlayer above. If you don't know what brand of strings are on a guitar, how do you know that you won't be replacing them with the same brand?

Archived