Gibson Brands Forums

Gig bag for Les Paul?

brest

Hi,

I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016 T, I love the brown case very much but it's too heavy to carry around.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good gig bag (protection, light weight) for Gibson Les Paul?

Thanks.

Hi there,

You can get Gibson gig bags if you look around...or Fender deluxe padded ones (for strat or tele) work pretty good for LP's. I used to carry my LP classic around in a Fender gig bag and never had any problems, but you have to be extra careful with LP's, i.e., be careful not to leave them leaning against walls in a bar where somebody might lean on it and result in neck break, etc. The Gibson ones are very well padded and I have 4 of them which protect them well too.

If you are gigging a lot I'd stick with the hard case, but for practises gig bags are great (especially if you don't drive like me!)

Guest Farnsbarns

I manned up and carried the case!

Only joking. I'd go to the local shop and try a few for fit. Check the padding and construction and go from there. I hate buying stuff like that blind on the Web. Nearly always end up disappointed.

The SKB ones are good; although to air on the side of caution, especially given the horror stories you hear about Gibson headstock breaks; I'd continue with the case and try and deal with it. Plus; your arms will get a work out msp_thumbup.gif

The SKB ones are good; although to air on the side of caution, especially given the horror stories you hear about Gibson headstock breaks; I'd continue with the case and try and deal with it. Plus; your arms will get a work out msp_thumbup.gif

Err... should that be err? ;)

I find it very handy, and sometimes almost necessary to have a gig bag available at times and in certain situations, mainly due to the shoulder straps.

A friend bought me a "one-size-fits-all" Road Runner Electric Guitar gig bag from GC. It fits any solid or semi I might need to strap on my back.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/Roadster-Electric-E-Guitar-Gig-Bag.gc

Not really being a gig bag guy for all the obvious reasons, I was delighted to find out how useful it was. As stated above, caution must be taken due to the Gibson headstock. To combat this, if I have to lay a Gibson solid body down flat in a gig bag, I lay it down on it's face, not it's back.

Agreed, I only use the gig bag when I am riding my bike while transporting my guitar, which has been only a handful of occasions.

how bout something in between a gig bag and an HCS..

SKB Soft Cases

Those are excellent. My son had one for his pricey classical guitar he carried to university each day....it's very sturdy, secure...yet light!

I see they've gone up in price to match that of a hard shell.

I keep my heavy brown case on a stand in the living room and carry my Les Paul in a lightweight laundry sack that breathes.

rct

Ha! I was waiting for your response to this thread, knowing your love of cases [biggrin]

Ha! I was waiting for your response to this thread, knowing your love of cases [biggrin]

I know,, I figured he'd be all over this one! :)

he's been busy in other forums... but I'm not saying anything further.. [-(

I know,, I figured he'd be all over this one! :)

he's been busy in other forums... but I'm not saying anything further.. [-(

heh.

DNC is in town, so I'm extremely busy in the Philly.com comments section.

rct

Those are excellent. My son had one for his pricey classical guitar he carried to university each day....it's very sturdy, secure...yet light!

I see they've gone up in price to match that of a hard shell.

I had a similar one for my Yari Dread, it was pretty solid for sure, and very light.

For me anyway, this is really the only thing I'd consider verses a standard hard shell..

I cannot decide bewteen this and the Mono Vertigo gigbag. [crying]

decisions, decisions!!! :)

(If I may nudge, if less weight is your main goal... I'd go for what gave me absolutely the best protection against a neck snapping event)

decisions, decisions!!! :)

(If I may nudge, if less weight is your main goal... I'd go for what gave me absolutely the best protection against a neck snapping event)

Struggled for a few days, I ordered the vertigo

If it's not satisfying, I'll replace it with the SKB one [thumbup]

Archived