Gibson Brands Forums

50's or 60's neck?

hi

hello to all I would like to buy a nice les paul custom shop Alpine white but unfortunately the seller lives far enough, can you tell me if the photos and the little information I have if the neck is a fat 50's or a thin 60? UNFORTUNATELY I just can not play with 50's neck

thank you so much

StephenIMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

thank you btoth76!

thanks for the reply, I read that there are different types of 50's neck.

I would not play with a baseball bat, I understand that 60's is too slim for a LP but now I have a 2003 standard Les Paul that has a narrower neck than mine 1987 lp standard that I sold recently.

I do not know what to do, unfortunately I can not test guitar and it would be an exchange with my prs custom 24.

What do you think?

... if the neck is a fat 50's or a thin 60? UNFORTUNATELY I just can not play with 50's neck

Yes, there are several different profiles of either 50's and 60's necks. The late-50's necks are thinner than all the earlier ones. Among the 60's necks the earliest are thinnest.

I find the late 50's rounded profile on one of my Les Paul guitars very comfortable for chording, and it's handy for riffs and solos as well. Most of my Gibbies including Les Pauls have a 60's Slim Taper neck shape, and the 60's Asymmetrical on an SG of mine feels somewhere in between. Then there are three early 60's necks including "Fretless Wonder" style fret wire on SGs of mine which altogether makes chord playing a little uneasier. Despite of same setup including sufficient action they also promote buzz, starting already at more moderate attack levels. The also very slim Explorer neck with medium jumbo frets allows for more attack punch.

Did you ever try playing a 50's neck with a nice setup for a longer period?

thank you capmaster.

the problem is to understand the type of neck, on my les paul standard 2003 I believe that is a 59 because it is not big as the standard 87, but it is not so thin like the epiphone 60, is a middle ground.

but are there an exact measurements to classify the type?

to answer to capmaster I tried for a long time to used the fat 50's neck of my les paul 87 but it was as big as a baseball bat.

What I would like to understand if this custom is big as mine 87 neck then I give up because even though the sound was big and fat I never got used. If it was like 2003 with (I think) 59's neck would be fine.

Archived