Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Volume -tone positions

cistec

Can any body pleas explain where the Volume and tone knobs go (position on guitar) and which ones drive which pickup. also does anybody know if the wiring for a Les Paul is the same on a Gibson ES 135 model 2002

Thanks

Cistec

Can anybody tell me which is the right way ... I have had very different positions from some forums! when you look at the guitar FACE ON can somebody tell me what is the Top left -Top right -----Bottom left --Bottom right and which pair are connected to bridge and neck. Or if any body can confirm positions that would help..I cant understand how some gibsons are wired differently...strange!

KSG how is your 135 wired ..if you can answer the above question that would aleast help with confirmation on positions.

Thanks

cistec

cistec

I have two les pauls and they are wired the same way, the bottom pair (bottom left bottom right) controls the bridge pup and the top pair the neck pup.

Unlike Rickenbacker for instance the the tone and volume control for each pickup are aligned horizontally.

Hmmmm...I am looking at a Les Paul wiring diagram and if I am reading the diagram right..its

I am Looking face on to the guitar...

Top left (Treble -Vol) Bridge

Top right( Rhythm-Vol) Neck

Bottom left (Treble-Tone) Bridge

Bottom Right( Rhythm-Tone) Neck

So Neck is the Treble and Bridge is the Rhythm!

does anyone disagree?

cistec

Dude. Simple and easier way to remember. Plug in ur guitar. turn on the amp but leave all controls on the guitar at zero. Try all knobs till u find the one for wich the toggle switch is pointing. ie volume. when u have volume turn the knobs to hear a differecnve in tone. Just repeat for the next pickup and rock on! make sure if u turn the wrong knob u turn it back to zero so that ur results are not flawed.

You had me worried there Phil! I was wondering if there was a right or wrong way..anyway all done now ..rewired a whole ES 135 and it works great ...I pulled the groundwire too hard and it came off on the last solder...typical!..I am asking the question,....where did it break from and do I need to run another wire from where it broke from ( I have no idea) and run it to ground where? the wire was in the bridge cavity a thin strong wire coming through the main balsa block down the centre.

Any help ideas would be welcome on the ground wire guys.

Also Thunder God...you may be an asshole but your an asshole with a really serious chunk of beautiful wood..how much did you pay for it? if you dont mind me asking. she is one fine looking baby.

cistec

Archived