Gibson Brands Forums

I'm not a concert goer but this was great.

ksdaddy

I'm not a concert goer. At all. The last time I went to a concert was the Beach Boys in 1990.

My wife wanted to see Bryan Adams, her being a child of the 80s and all. Okay. Sure. Cheap hotel, 350 mile round trip, a day off work, sure. Sign me up. I can put up with the screaming for a couple hours for my charming and wonderful wife.

We got within 20 miles of the venue and I have never driven through a downpour like that in my life. 25 mph on Interstate 95, 20 or more cars pulled over with their emergency flashers on....it was like driving through a car wash. We got to the venue, the sun came out and it turned into a perfect summer evening. We had good seats and save for a strong smell of weed and about 5 blonde young ladies who alternated between going to GET beer and going to PEE the beer, we were left alone.

Show started at 8. No fanfare, no buildup, nothing. Bryan and his band walked out, grabbed their instruments and launched into a solid two hour show. They sounded like the records did 30 years ago, both Bryan and his band were actively engaging the audience, stepping back from the mike many times and encouraging us to sing the lyrics, beaming the whole time...it was wonderful. No technical trouble, not too loud but nicely loud, a huge projection screen behind the band with a mishmash of old video clips and real time shots. The man's voice is spot-on, just as if it were 1986, he sang with exuberance on the rockers and it was clear his heart was in the love songs. He didn't resort to profanity and he didn't show disdain for his audience. He was there to put on a good show.

I never paid much attention to him in the 80s; I neither liked nor disliked him. I will say that as a result of last night, I have a newfound respect and admiration of him as a performer and human being. People got their money's worth and it was clear they had a great time on stage too.

As to 'seen' guitars, Bryan spent a good part of the evening wailing on an ES-295. Most of the time he was using the bridge pickup with the tone rolled back. It was loud and growly and wonderful. He also had a newer sunburst Strat, a Martin of some sort, looked like a D-18. I think that was it for him. His lead player used a very old Strat....it was either about a 1960 for real or it was a relic'd newer one. It sure looked genuine from what I could see. He also had a gold top LP Standard and he used a classical on one song and finished the show on a 3 pickup LP Black Beauty.

Well worth my time. And it got me out of my routine and comfort zone.

Nice, I love watching live music. I always tell my sons' never give up a chance to see live music, almost any genre, no rap or pop, but Rock, Jazz etc. Glad you had a good time and I have been in the same position before where my respect level for certain bands went up after I saw them live.

Despite of being a hard rocker/metal head in the 80's I always liked his music, it is still on my playlist and his records sound so great.

I have seen him live a couple of times and like you said it is a great show, the man can sign just the way he always has and there's better proof of that, his acoustic show. Just him a guitar and an occasional piano player, he can carry a show, he sounds great and he's funny as hell in engaging and joking with the audience.

A lady in the audience kept screaming "Summer of 69" and after a few shouts he told her "I'll get to it, are you going somewhere or something?"

I recently watched a Bryan Adams concert on PBS and enjoyed it very much.I never reall paid much attention to his work, but I knew every song, in many respects his music and his voice, phrasing and arrangements reminded me of The Eagles

Archived