Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 expert / j-45 2006 owner?

fauvent

My Iphone pics are too big post. I'll work on it. Silver jack, black nylon battery holder, small black turnwheel for volume with no markings. I'll be changing strings and take better pics with a camera. I bought it used on Ebay from a guy in Bozeman who said he won it at raffle at a Jackie Greene concert there. It was originally signed by JG but I removed that. The owner wasn't really a player so I don't think he installed the pup, but I don't know.

Well that would be really awsome moosesyr,

I will PM you so you can send me the pictures though email if you can. And not a problem at all I can wait untill you change the strings. And when I solve the mistery I will post the answer in case someone else has the same doubt! Thanks again mate. I really appreciate the effort!

If you can't tell what is a lr baggs and what is a fishman then I fail to see why you care which one is in this guitar

Especially as you said you won't even use the pickup

blindboygrunt,

Though this kind of puzzles is the way I personally lern. No to mention that through this kind of situations I lern about life and myself, but that would be a topic for another kind of forum. I do not expect you, or anyone understand my quest... as I said before... I do it like someone buy an old 1950 Chevy and restore it and I enjoy it. I just suppsed I could post about a topic in a forum where people care about this kind of technical issues, to see if someone can help. Thankfully lot of you guys helped, which I really appreciate. And from now on I guess I could tell better what's the physical difference between a Fishman and a LR Baggs. Thanks to a lot of memeber.

Thank you!

Well, considering I haven't played this guitar (nor any others) in 8 years, I figured it could use a string change. What more incentive than to help enable a fellow OCD sufferer. Here are a few pics. Hope they help. Sorry but some aren't too focused. It's tough taking photos in a guitar.

Battery pouch:

1zd0lf8.jpg

Under saddle element:

23jh1qq.jpg

Volume control:

5wxqbp.jpg

End pin (inside):

14v2wo.jpg

End pin (outside) replaced chrome with gold. Original one is balanced on top of the replacement.:

2euq55g.jpg

All wires in one shot:

4v3g52.jpg

Now, hopefully this won't burst your bubble, but I've seen three other 2006 J-45 Flame Maple LTDs besides mine. The other three had ebony fingerboards and bridges. On mine they're rosewood. The only thing consistent with Gibson is their inconsistency. So, there is a chance not all '06s had the same electrics.

Well, considering I haven't played this guitar (nor any others) in 8 years, I figured it could use a string change. What more incentive than to help enable a fellow OCD sufferer. Here are a few pics. Hope they help. Sorry but some aren't too focused. It's tough taking photos in a guitar.

Battery pouch:

1zd0lf8.jpg

Under saddle element:

23jh1qq.jpg

Volume control:

5wxqbp.jpg

End pin (inside):

14v2wo.jpg

End pin (outside) replaced chrome with gold. Original one is balanced on top of the replacement.:

2euq55g.jpg

All wires in one shot:

4v3g52.jpg

Now, hopefully this won't burst your bubble, but I've seen three other 2006 J-45 Flame Maple LTDs besides mine. The other three had ebony fingerboards and bridges. On mine they're rosewood. The only thing consistent with Gibson is their inconsistency. So, there is a chance not all '06s had the same electrics.

Lol gearbasher,

That OCD tag its about perfect for me. You are the man. That really really brought light into the topic.I really appreciate your time... and in case you were very worried, that last comment about the other 3 J-45 didn't burst your bubble! Again my friend Thanks a lot, and I hope it wasn't too much of a trouble!

Well guys,

As far as I concer, I feel finally satisfied with the answer. Thanks a lot to everyone, specialy to gearbasher who posted the pictures that clarified the topic and to keith that has answered me for the 3th time on this topic. By the way guys, just one more question... Some of the users where very surprised about me being so worried about the exact model of the PU... Am I really the only one who really cares about this tiny "stupid" details?

Thanks again guys. Love you all!

Lol gearbasher,

That OCD tag its about perfect for me. You are the man. That really really brought light into the topic.I really appreciate your time... and in case you were very worried, that last comment about the other 3 J-45 didn't burst your bubble! Again my friend Thanks a lot, and I hope it wasn't too much of a trouble!

FWIW This is what the pup in my 2006 looks like also

Am I really the only one who really cares about this tiny "stupid" details?

I care about details, but not to this level. Especially since the original pickup was terrible and I felt it improved my guitar to get rid of it (although I kept all the parts in a plastic bag). But hey, we all have own own priorities. Glad that you found the answer you were looking for.

Sorry to be so late to the party on this one but I do have a 2006 J-50. It has the Element pickup in it. It sucks in many and various ways. If I had a luthier close by I'd offer it to you for the cost of removing it plus freight but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive one way just to get in a queue. If you are still interested let me know. How's that for a sales pitch?

I care about details, but not to this level. Especially since the original pickup was terrible and I felt it improved my guitar to get rid of it (although I kept all the parts in a plastic bag). But hey, we all have own own priorities. Glad that you found the answer you were looking for.

Absolutly Boyd,

I am glad to read your comment. I often judge people, but when I do it, after some minuts I realise it and I think that's not the smartest think to do since we have our own issues. Eating or drinking problems, insecurity... mine is guitars and synthesizers obsessions. Anyway, I appreciate your comment Boyd.

Regards and take care!

Sorry to be so late to the party on this one but I do have a 2006 J-50. It has the Element pickup in it. It sucks in many and various ways. If I had a luthier close by I'd offer it to you for the cost of removing it plus freight but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive one way just to get in a queue. If you are still interested let me know. How's that for a sales pitch?

Hey mountainpicker,

Thanks for the offert! Sure sounds interesting. I will PM you so we can talk about it.

Regards!

I never really got the hate for the Fishman. My 03 has one, it sounds liked a guitar. I walk over to the amp or p.a. and adjust the volume. If I was going to record an album for a major label I would mic it regardless of what pickup it had.

It's worked for well over a decade with no issues.

And I totally understand wanting the guitar in it's original condition.

Best of luck.

I never really got the hate for the Fishman. My 03 has one, it sounds liked a guitar. I walk over to the amp or p.a. and adjust the volume. If I was going to record an album for a major label I would mic it regardless of what pickup it had.

It's worked for well over a decade with no issues.

And I totally understand wanting the guitar in it's original condition.

Best of luck.

Absolutly Murph,

Actually that's what I do mostly, record albums. Never playing live. So for me the pick up would be just for practicing guitar porpuses. I do like better the LR Baggs sound than the Fishman, but I guess that's totaly a personal choise. And yeah, I think I am getting some usefull information in this thread regarding the year and pick ups... as you said: any guitar from 2006 has a LR Baggs element and untill 2005 a Fishman Natural (I think)

Thanks for the support by the way!

Archived