Gibson Brands Forums

Boy From Oklahoma

Buc McMaster

Good cover, Buc. You do it well. Your style really brings the song to life, and again, that guitar is special. "Just a boy from Oklahoma on an endless one night stand"---what a line! Speaks volumes about who Guthrie was and what drove him.... Think I saw this once on YouTube. Ramsey definitely understood what Woody Guthrie represents. Sad how so many people today have no idea who Woody Guthrie was and why he was so influential to folk artists. Even if some day there's another Dust Bowl, no one will experience it and write about it as Guthrie did. Thanks for bringing this song into the light. [thumbup] [thumbup] "If you use more than two chords, you're braggin"---Woody Guthrie

Nice! Seems like a generation or maybe two grew up without Woody's influence on their music or their thinking, and to me that's an incredible loss. They may have heard the name, but associate him with music that represented the 'novelty' side of the Urban Folk Revival that had little to do with him, his songs, or - for that matter - folk music in general. I gonna stop writing now, before this becomes a rant of some description. Again, Buc, from one old Son of Texas to another, thank you!

Thanks, folks! Guthrie gave voice to a generation riding out some tough times, in more ways than one.

OC: Northeast Texas Women on the Ramsey album is one you should hear: Dallas women standing up beat the others lying down......

Thanks, folks! Guthrie gave voice to a generation riding out some tough times, in more ways than one.

OC: Northeast Texas Women on the Ramsey album is one you should hear: Dallas women standing up beat the others lying down......

Well, the quest for the album now begins....

Well worth the search. I found this listing on Amazon for the audio CD for $70......!!!! What?!?! Stopped my search right there........I know it's a tremendous recording but geez. Perhaps further investigation would find a better price..........

Willis Alan Ramsey on Amazon

And here is the album cut of what my feeble attempt above is fashioned after. He had such a soulful delivery.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk6bdA51rEA

Nice little song that buc

Have to admit it's the first I heard it or him , he's quite the looker isn't he , no surprise they put his photo on the cover of the album 😐

Yeah, but we all looked better back then...

70 bucks for an audio cd! Am I missing something?

Yeah......and that's for a used copy! The new one listed there is $295.........yikes! I once had an LP copy and have lost two CD copies over the years. WAR has a major cult following in Texas and having done just one album has only served to reinforce his status. There have been rumors of a second release for decades but it's not happened yet. This recording is very, very good with most excellent songwriting, great production and his haunting, sometimes humorous vocals are just top shelf. I believe him to be the most underrated writer of his era. He still tours, doing small venues across the southwest...........make every effort to see him if he comes to your neck of the woods.

Archived