Gibson Brands Forums

Are used prices for guitars rising???

onewilyfool

I stand by the 2 70s era Martins I have owned. I think we agree but it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, we agree. We've agreed from the onset. Far as I'm concerned, the more folks who have a realistic context to consider, the less BS there's going to be floating around about Martin guitars from the 1970s. For me, it's not much of an issue. In fact, I should probably just stay quiet since I'd like to purchase one sometime down the line and the negative perspective could well work in my favor in terms of pricing. Then again, since you're selling, the negative attitudes out there could potentially work against you. Interesting....

I was trying to gauge a reasonable value for my Sheryl Crow SJ and currently there are none for sale that I can find, new or used. So in a sense, one might expect that certain models might hold their value or even increase based upon supply and demand.

No, I'm not ready to sell it yet.

Rich

Martin went to a large RW bridge plates and heavier braces and tops in late 1969. These guitars are noticeably less responsive than earlier models. In addition, one of Martin's four bridge jigs was slightly off, so one out of four guitars had built in intonation problems. To fix the problem, either the bridge has to be moved or the saddle slot has to be filled and re-cut in the correct location.

A lot of these guitars were later souped up -- new bridge plates and scalloped braces -- and ended up as structural sound, fine sounding guitars.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Martin went to a large RW bridge plates and heavier braces and tops in late 1969. These guitars are noticeably less responsive than earlier models.

I played an incredibly responsive 1970 00-18 for twenty years. One of the finest tones I've ever heard coming out of a small box, rosewood bridgeplate & all.

Generalizations can be helpful, but they won't tell the story on every guitar.

Archived