Gibson Brands Forums

My first song from the studio----first mix

MissouriPicker

Here's a rough mix of one my songs that I've been doing in a recording studio. I've learned a lot in the last 2-3 weeks....lol....I'll get into that in another thread sometime down-the-road. On this song it's me on guitar and vocals and an old friend, Martha Haehl playing the fiddle/violin and flute tracks. I've recorded 12 songs and Martha was sweet enough to join me on several, while I add mandolin, banjo and harmonica to others. The mandolin is an instrument I gave-up on several months ago. Can't get clear chords with my fingers on the narrow fretboard. Anyway, I borrowed my son's cheap-butt Rogue and played and played single scale notes over and over. The result is that I ended up playing mando on some of the songs I did and it works with my music. I don't have "chops" like real mandolin players. I just play "choppy." .....lol...Anyway, I can find a melody or something close to it.... I'm meandering......... no mando on this song.

The lyrics are below---------

Must Be God's Grace

Got an old bulldog. Darla's her name. Could have called her anything, she'd be the same.

She drools on my clothes, but I've got no regrets. I can replace these clothes, but never a friend like this.

This old house, there were times I had my doubts, if the old roof and walls would keep the rain out,

But my kids grew-up and played here. Now my grandkids do. Like living in a lighthouse, that guides love home to you.

Chorus......

Must be God's grace comin' down on me. Must be God's grace comin' down on me.

Folks are free to disagree, but it's no mystery to me. Must be God's grace comin' down on me.

I've had runs of bad luck throughout my life, but no matter how tough the times, I somehow survive.

Friends and family tell me "You're so damn lucky." I just smile and say "Someone up there likes me."

Bridge......

All these good things in my life, they're more than coincidence. As a matter of fact I believe they're all heaven-sent.

Folks are free to disagree, but it's no mystery to me. Must be God's Grace comin' down on me.

Guitar, fiddle, flute solo........

Irene's my wife, me and her forty-five years. I ain't no King Arthur, but she's my Guinevere.

I asked her "Why'd you stay and not do better for yourself?" She laughed and said "Because you need help.

Chorus.....

That was lovelly, i love the flute, along with a good harp i think its a real great accompany to an acoustic guitar. Loved the overall mood there Larry, lots of lovelly splashes of colour and some nice vocal stretches there also, good to see you push yourself in a good way.

Very nice, MP!

Clear as a bell, all around. You must be very pleased with the recording, hard work isn't it?

Did you play 'live' (guitar and vocal at the same time, or did you do the vocal later?)

Do you know what mic you used/mixer? Don't worry if you don't - it is a totally overwhelming experience sometimes. I really enjoyed the (not enough) times I have been in a studio, but I think I enjoy it more NOW looking back - because it can be pure terror!

Well done!

BluesKing777.

BK, I did the guitar and vocal at the same time. I know the vocal mic was a Neumann TLM 103 or something and there were two Rode mics for the guitar. One was a Rode NTK-something. Don't know what the other Rode was. Don't know what the mixer was. ..... It was a bit overwhelming at first...lol.... I'm not used to a lot of rules. I'm used to playing songs like I want. No rigid rules and very unstructured, Fifty years of bad habits. Most of my songs are played in my own way with some measures sometimes having four beats, others having five, maybe six if I can squeeze it in, or some half-beats. Then, the next time I do the song I might have four beats in all the measures..lol...Who knows? I don't...lol...Anyway, I told them I wanted to record the songs the way I feel them at the time and not sweat the timing so long as it sounds right and that's what we did. They knew about the half-beats and little quirks in the timing....My biggest challenge with the mandolin was not trying to be Marty Stuart or Ricky Skaggs and do some things I want to do but can't. Fortunately, I stayed "Larry Garrett" and kind of surprised myself. It sounded okay for "me" and quite like I'd sound at a gig. I made myself stay on two adjacent sets of strings and that made it easier for me to play the scales and some semblance of the melody. Don't think I could have done it trying to get fancy and hop around all four sets of strings. I'll post one of the songs with the mandolin in a couple days (don't want to flood the forum with my stuff). It is a unique experience. Vastly different from recording at home. Cost more too...lol...

Had a listen last night Larry .

BK hinted that I should do this , and I would enjoy the experience no doubt , but ther s no expendable cash .

What fun it must be and what a nice thing to have your stuff on a cd for your kids etc . at the very least .

But I know you do a lot of gigs so iveno doubt you will shift a few at the coffee houses

You're music is real sweet , very real and I really like the minstrel quality . Would've been a real shame to go in and come out with a cd of 'polished' versions of your songs . You're verging on punk attitude 😊

I'm a member of the burn the metronome club also .

Excellent! I recognize this song and like it a lot. Actually, one of my own long term goals is to one day be good enough to record my songs in a studio, just for my own satisfaction.

By the way, may I suggest to seperate the flute and violin even more to the left and right channels?I think it would put even more air into the song. Just a suggestion.

Lars

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions Fretplay and everyone. They are appreciated.......BBG, "Amen" on the metronome. I bought one about tens years ago and it's still in its box and the battery date expired without it ever being used. I'm sure I would have benefited from it, but never used it.....Lars, good point on the fiddle and flute. That stuff will come with the final mixes when we finish-up. Right now I've got a bunch of songs I'll be listening-to and writing notes and questions about. The studio is fun, but it is also hard work.

Here's a rough mix of one my songs that I've been doing in a recording studio. I've learned a lot in the last 2-3 weeks....lol....I'll get into that in another thread sometime down-the-road. On this song it's me on guitar and vocals and an old friend, Martha Haehl playing the fiddle/violin and flute tracks. I've recorded 12 songs and Martha was sweet enough to join me on several, while I add mandolin, banjo and harmonica to others. The mandolin is an instrument I gave-up on several months ago. Can't get clear chords with my fingers on the narrow fretboard. Anyway, I borrowed my son's cheap-butt Rogue and played and played single scale notes over and over. The result is that I ended up playing mando on some of the songs I did and it works with my music. I don't have "chops" like real mandolin players. I just play "choppy." .....lol...Anyway, I can find a melody or something close to it.... I'm meandering......... no mando on this song.

The lyrics are below---------

Must Be God's Grace

Got an old bulldog. Darla's her name. Could have called her anything, she'd be the same.

She drools on my clothes, but I've got no regrets. I can replace these clothes, but never a friend like this.

This old house, there were times I had my doubts, if the old roof and walls would keep the rain out,

But my kids grew-up and played here. Now my grandkids do. Like living in a lighthouse, that guides love home to you.

Chorus......

Must be God's grace comin' down on me. Must be God's grace comin' down on me.

Folks are free to disagree, but it's no mystery to me. Must be God's grace comin' down on me.

I've had runs of bad luck throughout my life, but no matter how tough the times, I somehow survive.

Friends and family tell me "You're so damn lucky." I just smile and say "Someone up there likes me."

Bridge......

All these good things in my life, they're more than coincidence. As a matter of fact I believe they're all heaven-sent.

Folks are free to disagree, but it's no mystery to me. Must be God's Grace comin' down on me.

Guitar, fiddle, flute solo........

Irene's my wife, me and her forty-five years. I ain't no King Arthur, but she's my Guinevere.

I asked her "Why'd you stay and not do better for yourself?" She laughed and said "Because you need help.

Chorus.....

Larry I really like the pure open honesty in your songwriting, The message in the lyrics is so true. Nice recording as well. Good balance between instruments and the vocal is nicely up front like it should be. [thumbup] I realize that much will change in the final mixes as it always does but it's a solid foundation for sure. You are so right, studio work is hard and often frustrating because unlike live where you can't go back, it makes you see your errors or open up new possibilities to make a song or track better on the next take.

Archived