Gibson Brands Forums

Neck width at Nut

Karma180

Hi, I looking to buy a LP Studio (maybe a Studio Pro) and I really like a wide neck ... I read that the 2014 & 2015 Studio LPs have a wider neck than the 2016 Studio LPs; is this true?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wide neck Studio LP (year/model/etc) ?

Thanks,

Hi, I looking to buy a LP Studio (maybe a Studio Pro) and I really like a wide neck ... I read that the 2014 & 2015 Studio LPs have a wider neck than the 2016 Studio LPs; is this true?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wide neck Studio LP (year/model/etc) ?

Thanks,

2015s and 2016 HPs (rather than 2016 Ts) have the widest widths at the nut.

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...

2015s and 2016 HPs (rather than 2016 Ts) have the widest widths at the nut.

Johnny

Gibson webpage still has all the specifications for 2015 which as they said is the widest year.

I have a Les Paul classic. I've been waiting for 10 years for a wide fretboard, I completely enjoy the design and I'm very happy that they did it.

All the previous years the high E and low E would continuously fall off the edge of the fretboard.

The guitar now plays properly like a PRS. For 2016 they give you 3 options old-fashioned fretboards where the strings fall off, medium width, and finally the extra wide that comes with the zero fret.

That's the price that you have to pay for the extra wide fretboard is a zero fret, but it is also quite popular design as you can raise and lower the string height on both ends of the guitar now.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/LPM.aspx

Here's the standard studio specs for 2015

cheers

I have heard a few people mention the high e string being bent off the board. But I have not heard of nor ever had an issue myself with the low E falling off the board. You must play like a maniac! ha. I'm glad they offered a wider board for your sake.

When I bend the high E string, I bend up/away from the edge and i've never had a need to bend the Low E string, but i'd bend it down/away from the edge if I did.

I have heard a few people mention the high e string being bent off the board. But I have not heard of nor ever had an issue myself with the low E falling off the board. You must play like a maniac! ha. I'm glad they offered a wider board for your sake.

When I bend the high E string, I bend up/away from the edge and i've never had a need to bend the Low E string, but i'd bend it down/away from the edge if I did.

I was always losing the high e off the end of the board on my strat. Not by doing bends, just natural clumsiness! It still happens occasionally. Usually when making a sudden dash upstairs. So I'm one of those that appreciates a wide board. I love the 2015 Nashville range for that .

Also the Ric 660 & 650 have a lovely wide 1.75" (44.5mm) width at the nut. About the same as the 2016 HP models.

TBH the neck radius is probably more important than the board width, but more girth certainly helps.

Archived