Gibson Brands Forums

G-Force is gone. Weight is 292 grams. Pictures

Sabredog

It's possible what you say is true, but I'm pretty convinced it was acting a like a Sonic sponge, Certain harmonics and frequencies were not right. It is a little hollow plastic box With quite a bit of mass, I would suppose if you're playing at very high gain you wouldn't notice very much but low medium crunch seems to be an improvement without it.

And I think that's what I meant it seemed like my power chords Were not in tune even after just tuning it to perfection. Just slightly dissonant on one string versus another string.

Do you have a G-Force on yours? And it seems okay

If this were true then you would be able to reproduce the effect of mushy out of tune power chords by taping an altoids box to the head stock.

Did you replace the brass nut with the titanium,

I had to file out my low E Slot a little bit with my 10's, On the titanium nut

Cheers

No, I've got the Tusq replacement on. It's tuned fine, no pings. The intonation was pretty much spot on and it's held its tuning perfectly (12hrs so far)

It's possible what you say is true, but I'm pretty convinced it was acting a like a Sonic sponge, Certain harmonics and frequencies were not right. It is a little hollow plastic box With quite a bit of mass, I would suppose if you're playing at very high gain you wouldn't notice very much but low medium crunch seems to be an improvement without it.

And I think that's what I meant it seemed like my power chords Were not in tune even after just tuning it to perfection. Just slightly dissonant on one string versus another string.

Do you have a G-Force on yours? And it seems okay

No, I don't.

If the tuning system of your guitar is leaving it out of tune after tuning with it, I'd suggest it wasn't the weight or any sort of Sonic sponge. I could put a scarf, 4 Marlbls, a Boss clip on tuner, and a capo up there on my skinny neck-ed SG and not have these issues.

I'm not breaking your balls as much as I'm trying to prevent future repeating of this as though it were facts we've all known all our lives. They aren't facts, nothing up there that doesn't touch the fingerboard side of the strings does anything at all to the tunedness of a guitar.

You must hate string trees and strings though body!

rct

• Upvote 1

Really, you would have to add a LOT of weight to the guitar to change it fundamentally, and you can't add enough weight to the headstock to effect it enough to change it to get that perceived sustain. But dialing in that little bit to go a direction you like when you can hear it, it does tend to make one hear a good guitar as better.

Okay so I got my fathead fat fingermsp_confused.gif I have a very nice poly-tune which actually senses the string vibration nicely.

So I used that to measure the sustain.

I put it on what I thought was a medium light Les Paul Epiphone boneyard.

The fat finger works perfectly to kill your sustain, but as we all suspected it is barely measurable. Or statistically not significant.

I did with and without the mass attached 10 times each.To normalize light or heavy string attack, but I tried to strike the strings equally at all times.

The poly tunes signal drops out after it doesn't sense the string vibrating anymore. It may not be a perfect measure but it's consistently applied across the experiment.

Fat finger = 31 secs

no fat finger 34 secs

extremely consistent every measurement was within one second of the other measurement.

So I do believe I overly heavy headstock is not the right direction.

Even given that the last 5 to 8 seconds of vibration can't be heard by anyone perhaps by a amplifier With gain that's on 10 Might pick up the last 3 seconds,

It's possible that it acts a little bit like a compressor the volume of the string sounded more even with the fat finger attached for the first 10 to 12 seconds.

So that may be what people. I'm sure the designers must've hooked it up to an oscilloscope but maybe not.

cheers funmsp_thumbdn.gif I won't be using the fatfinger.

• 2 years later...

I realize this is an old post.......... I replaced my G Force Tuning System on my 60's Tribute Edition Gibson Les Paul, last night.  I am currently at work, now and still letting the new strings and Grover tuners settle. From the few minutes, I played it before bed last night......Could not be happier! For what it's worth.....one concept that no one has addressed is as follows:  The energy on a guitar transmits from the bridge all the way to the head stock/ tuners. The best tonal clarity comes from the tone of metal against wood with very little to no gaps. Typically, Increasing denser mass on a head stock or bridge can produce a more sustaining tone, via more wood, and/ or metal, i.e. CBS Fender head stock, heavier bridge, denser tremolo block, brass nut...Fathead, Fender "Fat Finger", etc.   However.....the big flaw I discovered on the G Force Tuning System was that large PLASTIC portion. It creates a muddy, muffled stifling rag effect which clogs freely emanating vibrations from the head stock. I experienced muddy overtones from day 1 of owning the guitar.  The whole guitar appears to have opened up with volume and much clarity, the second, I replaced the G Force tuning system with Grovers. Playing it unplugged, I could immediately feel and hear the difference in t one.  If anyone has doubt, maybe swap your bridge, tuners, strings or tremolo blocks for something made of plastic or rubber.  Actually, make the body of the guitar out of plastic, while your at it......

20 hours ago, String slammer said:

I realize this is an old post.......... I replaced my G Force Tuning System on my 60's Tribute Edition Gibson Les Paul, last night.  I am currently at work, now and still letting the new strings and Grover tuners settle. From the few minutes, I played it before bed last night......Could not be happier! For what it's worth.....one concept that no one has addressed is as follows:  The energy on a guitar transmits from the bridge all the way to the head stock/ tuners. The best tonal clarity comes from the tone of metal against wood with very little to no gaps. Typically, Increasing denser mass on a head stock or bridge can produce a more sustaining tone, via more wood, and/ or metal, i.e. CBS Fender head stock, heavier bridge, denser tremolo block, brass nut...Fathead, Fender "Fat Finger", etc.   However.....the big flaw I discovered on the G Force Tuning System was that large PLASTIC portion. It creates a muddy, muffled stifling rag effect which clogs freely emanating vibrations from the head stock. I experienced muddy overtones from day 1 of owning the guitar.  The whole guitar appears to have opened up with volume and much clarity, the second, I replaced the G Force tuning system with Grovers. Playing it unplugged, I could immediately feel and hear the difference in t one.  If anyone has doubt, maybe swap your bridge, tuners, strings or tremolo blocks for something made of plastic or rubber.  Actually, make the body of the guitar out of plastic, while your at it......

Curious,

I replaced my G-Force with Grovers a few weeks back. I don't hear any difference. 

• Upvote 1