Gibson Brands Forums

Another Studio Song---with mandolin accompaniment

MissouriPicker

Here's one of the studio songs where I added a mandolin track. Some of the parts went smooth the first time. Others I did over. Anyway, haven't decided how much of the mando to keep in this song. Won't have to decide for 2-3 weeks when my studio guy gets back from vacation and Winfield. We still have to go through and clean-up the "Pftt" sounds and such with filters. In total I've done 13 songs now. Likely to add one more and do one over. Anxious to get it done, but at the same time I want to do it as well as I can for what I can do. Mandolin comes in at first chorus.

Grandpas and Old Dogs

The old man in the recliner begins to snore.

The old dog at his side is stretched-out on the floor.

Looks like they're sleepin', but it might be a disguise.

What if they're only resting their eyes.

They work as a team and you best believe

They've always got at least one more trick up their sleeve.

You can't count the times they've rushed to your rescue.

That's what grandpas and old dogs do.

Chorus......

They watch you grow-up. They're always nearby.

One of them shares your tears the other licks your face dry.

Just like guardian angels they watch over you.

The old dog grows, the old man complains.

Sometimes they're about to drive you insane.

Then the old dogs wags his tail, the old man gives you a wink.

Now they've got you thinkin' they know what you think.

Bridge......

Don't you run away. Don't you even try.

The old dog will wake the old man and the old man will cry.

Just be thankful for the love that they offer you.

solo with guitar and mandolin

So if you wonder how I know so much

About grandpas and their old mutts.

Well once I was a youngster, but time moves along.

Now I'm a grandpa and I've got an old dog.

Chorus.....

We watch you grow-up. We're always nearby.

One of us shares your tears the other licks your face dry.

Just like guardian angels we watch over you.

I like it, Larry--keep all the mando; it's a really nice add. (Promise me you'll use the original photo for the liner notes, though! ;) )

Your vocals are especially smooth again, which I noticed on your other track. Sounds like you feel real comfortable in that setting, and that's key to the whole enterprise. Well done!

Keep on posting and letting us in on your grand studio venture. This is great fun...

Nice song, nice recording and nice singing and playing!

Congratulations - you have studio recording down.

Move over fat dog, there's a skinny dog moving in (Hank).

One thing to consider, I listened with headphones and found the mando a bit distracting when you were singing. Perhaps move them further to the left in the mix, drop the level or even take it right out while singing. Or use as a fill between vocal lines and solo. That is only my opinion, I like basic vocal/guitar, but others have all kinds of ideas.

BluesKing777.

All comments, pro and con, are appreciated and considered. I do think the mandolin is a little bit loud. Haven't listened to it on headphones yet as BK suggests, but even in the car I think it tends to over-ride the guitar and vocal. Mandolins are obviously more-than-capable of being heard in a bluegrass band, so it probably should be more subtle in a folk tune. I'm going to cut the mandolin volume in a couple other songs too. If I had a Janice Joplin voice,it would be no problem.......... I tend to play the guitar and sing the vocals softly and kind of dig into the mandolin with a pick. [cursing] I'm always open to all advice and suggestions. [thumbup]

I assume the recording is going to digital, not old school tape?

The advantage of digital is you can make another copy, save as new name, edit and experiment, delete, add, save again, listen at home, try something else. For example, you could click on the mando track in the timeline, use the mouse to make edit points in the track volume, lower the volume during the vocal part or even taking it off, but leaving it for solos... Listen back, don't like it, do it again.... Or revert to the first mix you had.

BluesKing777.

Agreed. BK.....Yes, it's digital. Thank God! It would require dozens and dozens of "takes" for me to play it half-way right otherwise....lol.... There are some places where I think it's a little too bright and we'll bring that down. I might have been too near the mic at times too. Fortunately that can be remedied. Thanks for the advice. Being in the studio is efinitely a learning experience and a good one.

I like it Larry but something does quite gell, i cant put my finger on it, but i think the overall mix is not quite right.

The vocals seem to be quite out front, but i find the guitar to be really in the background and the mando sort of jumping here in there.

I would remix it, put the guitar more out front to give a bit of a groove and the mando to colour over it.

Thats it ... it needs a groove .... thats what was missing - maybe consider getting a bass or a basic drum kit in there, but mainly get the guitars a bit more upfront and get the foot tapping

But hey, thats the fun of recording, you can mix and adjust till your hearts content.

I like it Larry but something does quite gell, i cant put my finger on it, but i think the overall mix is not quite right.

The vocals seem to be quite out front, but i find the guitar to be really in the background and the mando sort of jumping here in there.

I would remix it, put the guitar more out front to give a bit of a groove and the mando to colour over it.

Thats it ... it needs a groove .... thats what was missing - maybe consider getting a bass or a basic drum kit in there, but mainly get the guitars a bit more upfront and get the foot tapping

But hey, thats the fun of recording, you can mix and adjust till your hearts content.

Larry, I just had a listen (sorry for taking so long), and the thing that I thought to myself, before reading EA's comment above, was it needs percussion of some kind, or at least something to carry the rythm more. Could be a very subtle drum, a different mix, or a steady second guitar in the background perhaps. I really liked the mandolin when using headphones, could benefit from being lowered a bit perhaps and panned more to one side. Just some suggestions. I really like the song and the easy going nature of the lyrics.

I look forward to hearing your final arrangement and mix!

Lars

Hi Larry,

I'm a little late to the party here, work has been demanding lately.

I enjoyed that. A nice story, with some nice twists in the lyrics.

Your own unique style and authenticity shines through in these recordings. I like that you're doing what you do, in a completely different environment where the gravitation pull to do more than what the songs need is always present.

I'd keep the mando, and think I agree that it may serve well to get the instrument tracks a bit more involved.

Whether that means pulling the vocal back or the guitar - mostly - up, all easy stuff to work out though, getting the song written and the tracks "down" is 90% of the ordeal.

[thumbup]

Archived