Gibson Brands Forums

Older guitar player tries out new guitar

brc

I wish I could copy/paste the link but with my IPad I am unable to do so.

But if you go to Ebaums world, check out the old gentleman in a guitar shop trying out one of the guitars for sale.

They don't mention his age, but he looks to be in his mid 80s or maybe even early 90s.

After listening to him play, you can only imagine how well he could play in his prime.

Great to see him still active with his guitar playing.

If you watch the video, post what you think his age might be.

His name is Bob Wood. From another forum I frequent:

"It shows an 80-year-old guitarist by the name of Bob Wood performing "Bésame Mucho" on an Epiphone archtop (Looks like a Sheraton to me; someone please feel free to chime in, in the comments).

The video was shared yesterday, October 8, by British Audio Service in Nashville, with the header, "This guy rules. Mr. Bob Wood, ladies and gentlemen."

Update (October 21): Since then, the original post has garnered about a million views, making Wood something of an internet sensation. To see what all the fuss is about, check out the clip below. "Bésame Mucho" (aka "Kiss me a lot") was written in 1940 by Consuelo Velázquez. It was a staple of the Beatles' early shows at the Cavern and in Hamburg.

According to Melanie Wood Moody, one of Bob's nine children, he was signed as a regular performer at Jamboree USA in Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1970, and performed for 10 years. In the mid-Seventies, he was named Entertainer of the Year by Eastern States Country Music Inc. In 2007, he was inducted into The Southern Legends Country Music Hall of Fame. He has several albums to his name, including Bob Wood Plays It Cool.

Inspirational."

Archived