Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1963 Gibson Hummingbird

Jalex

After much back and forth I decided that the opportunity to own a 63 Hummingbird at a great price was too good to pass up. She has some battle scars but plays great and sounds amazing. All repairs were done by a local experienced builder and repairman. He made the rosewood bridge and added a bone saddle, stabilized a couple of cracks also added a replacement pickguard. Here she is [biggrin]

IMG_20160817_201228922_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160817_201257973_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160817_201119445_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160817_201100484_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160817_201143876_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160817_172721370_HDR.jpg[/url]

Thanks guys, Sal the sound is smooth and velvety I been quite happy just strumming basic chords and listening to it sing, no need for anything more. I can understand why they are so cherished by singer songwriters.

Now ...... as a gesture of gratitude you MUST give us a sound sample [thumbup]

Ha- Careful anymore about announcing the ngd of such a cool old bird such as this; we might just have to hear it. At the very least, a pic of that burst in natural light ; ).

A good thing, too, that the guitar is wearing some road rash, as well- now you're free to play the tulips off of it.

Yes, the high E bridge pin hole might've been located a bit low; an easy fix for any luth to install a rosewood dowel & re-drill if it ever bugs you, but I've got the idea you're happy with it as it is.

Enjoy.

Yep one pin is bigger than the rest and some aren't sitting correctly i doubt these are the correct pins. I will order some nice bone pins from Bob Colosi. The original bridge was plastic and lifting (what were Gibson thinking) so seemed like a good time to change it out to rosewood.

Btw. if this is a replacement pick-guard, it certainly isn't one of the contemporary wanna-bes.

Might not be what it came with from Kalamazoo, but this guard looks as vintage as they get, , , or should we say below 1975.

I love the way they kind of melt a little.

Regarding pins some will tell you there's quite a bit of glaze in plastic pins.

EA stands for this thought, , , and I tend to be behind him. Almost always keep the 3 deep pins bone and the highs in plast sometimes G & D in wood.

Basic picture is that Martins come with dots and Gibsons are dot-free. Tjaaahh, , , okay, , , but nothing to necessarily follow.

Thanks guys, Sal the sound is smooth and velvety I been quite happy just strumming basic chords and listening to it sing, no need for anything more. I can understand why they are so cherished by singer songwriters.

Beautiful !!!! Welcome to another dimension!!!! The

intrinsical sound of the "Bird". Enjoy !!!!!

Archived